Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 18:26

Plan: Dr's plan Atkins like
Stats: 237/208/140 Female 5"7'
BF:don't wanna know!
Progress: 30%
Default Has anyone quit smoking, and not gained??

Hi everyone!!!

So Saturday night I had my last smoke!!!!! Things are going well, but I am so worried about gaining !! I know that should really be the last thing on my mind, but it's there.

Has anyone quit, and still lost?? I have had a hard time not munching on EVERYTHING the last few days.. all legal, but way too much

Thanks!
Dee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 18:34

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCt
Hi everyone!!!

So Saturday night I had my last smoke!!!!! Things are going well, but I am so worried about gaining !! I know that should really be the last thing on my mind, but it's there.

Has anyone quit, and still lost?? I have had a hard time not munching on EVERYTHING the last few days.. all legal, but way too much

Thanks!
Dee

I quit in 2002 while I was still heavy & had not started LC yet. One thing that really helped was gum - s/f gum (Extra Polar Ice to be specific). I don't remember gaining a while lot b/c I substituted smokes with gum.

and, IMVHO, a couple #'s gained now (and hopefully you won't - stick with the LC foods!) in the end will be well-worth your long term health. I watched what cigarette-induced COPD/heart disease did to my mom and would never wish it on anyone!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 19:14

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 300/205/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I am 8 weeks smokefree (I'm on Chantix) and I've lost 30lbs.

I can honestly give credit to my success so far to the Chantix. I don't think about cigarettes, I don't crave them, I don't miss them... nothing!!!

At first, the only thing I missed was the habit... the action of doing something... not the actual cigarettes. Now after 2 months I feel like I've been a non smoker my whole life.

Good luck!

Tami
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 20:07

Plan: Dr's plan Atkins like
Stats: 237/208/140 Female 5"7'
BF:don't wanna know!
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcalhoun1
I am 8 weeks smokefree (I'm on Chantix) and I've lost 30lbs.

I can honestly give credit to my success so far to the Chantix. I don't think about cigarettes, I don't crave them, I don't miss them... nothing!!!

At first, the only thing I missed was the habit... the action of doing something... not the actual cigarettes. Now after 2 months I feel like I've been a non smoker my whole life.

Good luck!

Tami

I am using Chantix as well, and I feel the same as you!!! I am just missing the motion, not the smoke!! Glad to hear you still lost, make me feel better
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 20:35

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 300/205/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

If you are on Chantix then you should have no problem. At least I haven't. I don't have any side effects either. One very vivid dream at the beginning of week 2 but that was it.

I just started my 3rd month refill just to be on the safe side.

Once you get past the habit part then it is so easy from there.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 21:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

Yes actually I did.. I quit 4 years ago.. I just just lost some weight on another program(LAWeightloss) and was still doing program when I gave up smoking. I remembered my weight loss slow down a bit, but never gained any. It can be done Lots of luck to you!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 09:22
Registered Member

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 285/247/185 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I quit by using Alan Carr's "Easy Way" book. There's a chapter in there about eating/munching as a replacement for cigs, and he teaches you how to get around that. It worked for me and I didn't have any issues at all with snacking.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 11:48

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I quit smoking before I started lowcarbing. I had smoked (they called me 'Chimney') for 30 years. I used a patch the first two weeks and then that was it (Chantix wasn't available I don't thing at that time). I quit 12 years ago on April Fools day.

I used a forum at about.com on 'smoking cessation'. There is a wealth of information there! Including what is happening to your lungs at certain milestones (one day, three days, three months, etc.) that is fun to read. I also printed out (3 PAGES!) the list of chemicals contained in a cigarette and put it on my refrigerator for awhile.

I discovered after I quit that I had Hashimoto's hypothyroidism and quitting smoking made it easier for the doctor to treat me and replace my thyroid hormones.

Good for you for quitting!!! I wish you the best of luck in your quit journey. (and if you slip, don't quit quitting! My final quit was my seventh try).
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 17:26

Plan: atkins/i&NIPD
Stats: 157.0/139.6/119 Female 159cm
BF:32%+/31.5%/??
Progress: 46%

hey there WELL DONE!!!!!!!

I quit (again) 4 weeks ago, I got one week of induction under my belt and realised that when I had CoQ10 I was less bothered about smoking in the mornings (and usually I don't speak unless I have at least 2).

so I quit cold turkey, and after 3 days I was fine. In the weeks since quitting (4) I have only lost 3.6lbs, but it is a loss, not a gain, so that is positive.

my top, top tip when I am feeling a craving is just to recognise it, and then relax into the craving: I find that most of my cravings are actually a slow build up of tension, and my body is really trying to prompt me to relax using it's learned mechanism - nicotine. once I had retrained it by conciously relaxing, deeply, any residual cravings are really quick to deal with - that and a swig of water never hurts.