Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-17-09, 19:54
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 190/150/140 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Quitting smoking is killing low carbing

Hoping maybe someone has found a cure.

I quit smoking cold turkey almost two months ago. It actually went quite well. The first four days were brutal, but after that was pretty easy going without cigarette cravings. What has happened in its stead is I've developed terrible food craving that just wont subside. It's a terrible bit of irony really. Before I quit smoking I never craved food. I could go 36 hours without eating without any issue. I never craved food. I ate when and because my stomach was empty. Being low carb made smoking cessation a breeze, with only four days of cravings and anxiety. But now it has turned on me and I'm living with miserable food cravings.

It's making me unhappy. It's making me irritable. Not even eating carbs helps. I went to town on the kid's carb loaded trail mix one night a couple weeks ago and I still craved food with my belly stuffed and my blood sugar high. The last week I've done nothing but unspiced beef and water, and still no difference.

Help!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-18-09, 08:54
Registered Member

Plan: IF with LC
Stats: 245/217/160 Female 6'
BF:
Progress: 33%

It is temporary, Central. It is all tied together with the brain seeking to make 'feel good' chemicals. I know I went through it, too. It will take time, but it will normalize.

I used St. John's Wort, and I believe it helped tremendously with the cravings for both cigarettes and food.

Hang in there. Being a non-smoker is so much better than being a smoker.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-18-09, 11:38
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks. It helps to know it will pass. I can understand why it is common for people to gain weight after quitting smoking. The food cravings are making my life miserable.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-29-09, 15:11

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymist
It is temporary, Central. It is all tied together with the brain seeking to make 'feel good' chemicals. I know I went through it, too. It will take time, but it will normalize.

I agree. The brain is looking to replace that 'feel good' response that nicotine formerly provided.
Another possibility is that you are mistaking food cravings for nicotine triggers. A 'trigger' is a situation in which you would normally have had a cigarette. Common ones are driving, after eating, with your morning coffee, etc...
Here's something you can try to see if that may be the case; whenever you have a food craving, stop and analyze what you are doing and/or thinking at that moment. Is the situation one in which you would have previously lit up?
Just a thought...
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 10:11
Registered Member

BF:

Things have gotten better. Though there are times they are still very intense. It's interesting that that you mention triggers, Lisa. I *think* added salt is triggering the cravings, as well as /or/ chilli pepper. It's so hard to pin these things down. I do know that after five or six days of nothing but unseasoned steak and water the cravings finally subsided and I had a peacefull day. The day I salted my steak and added chilli pepper and fresh garlic the cravings came back with a vengence. The last couple days I used only galric and chilli pepper and things were better, but last night after I ate steak with chilli pepper and garlic the cravings kicked in after being craving free all day.

I ate steak again this morning, this time seasoned only with garlic. No cravings! Time will tell. I'll keep on with just the garlic and see. I really hope this is just a phase. I miss my salt.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-09, 20:34

Plan: barry groves
Stats: 160/105/100 Female 4 feet and 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Feeding our faces with our food or our addictions can all be intertwined. One becomes indistinguishable from the other. Ketogenic diets had me craving booze and cigarettes so badly I thought there was something dreadfully wrong with me, i even threw my evening job as it interfered with my beer n cigarettes. Moderate carb diets didnt have that reaction on me.......food 4 thought. Maybe small amounts of carbs during the day keep that serotonin flowing to the brain....dont know for sure. Id love the answer too!