Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 07:17

Plan: Susanne Somers
Stats: 220/210/120 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Dr Phil

Has anyone else been checking out Dr Phil's Weight loss challenge? It is mostly about the psychological side of weight loss and I have been watching the show and have begun reading (more like a workbook. . . he makes you write about yourself) his book. I plan to keep Somersizing, but get what I can from this. I certainly know that there is a psychological side to my eating.

He is following 13 people for 9 months on his show as examples for us all out here in tv land. He tried to start it out in suspenseful Big Brother/Survivor fashion and wittle the group down to 8, but he didn't have the heart to do it since everyone wanted to loose weight so badly.

I hope this approach will be helpful for me.

Last edited by DONNA3 : Wed, Oct-01-03 at 07:35.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 09:23

Plan: modified sommersizing
Stats: 150/143.5/135 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 43%
Talking

I am interested in looking into what Dr Phil has to say. A friend of mine has taped the 2 hour Dateline special and will lend it to me when I have the time to watch it. I think she is also getting the book. This semester I am not home in time for the show, so I will have to do it vicariously. He makes sense. I noticed that he has his name on some diet shakes and supplements when I was in Target yesterday.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 10:53

BF:

Hmm, didn't know he was getting into foods. I doubt that they will be somersizable.

The 2 hour special wasn't much at all. Very little substance. So far they have been picking the people to do the diet with him over the next 9 months and some of the stuff he talks about with them has been things I can relate to. He just sent them home to do "7 keys to weight loss" on their own . . . with cameras in their house, his support, and a gym membership.

I'm only up to page 36 in his book. It's slow going as you have to write. . . and think.

Perhaps you can get his show taped for you. I'm sure it will be more helpful than the 2 hour special. It seems to be the topic for every Monday and Tuesday, at least so far.

The book is probably the main thing, but the show, I believe, will help keep me going. His get real with yourself approach is probably what I need to hear.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 11:56

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 230/135/126 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I have been reading Dr. Phil's book also. I saw in his menu plans that he includes a meal replacement beverage or bar nearly every day, so I wasn't surprised when he came out with his own beverages and bars. I was surprised when I looked at the ingredients that are in the bars. The fudge brownie bars contain:

Ingredients
Fudge Syrup , Corn Syrup , Sugar , Hydrogenated Starch , High Fructose Corn Syrup , Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil , Glycerin , Sunflower Oil , Unsweetened Chocolate , Carrageenan , Natural Flavor , Crisps , Soy Protein Isolate , Tapioca Starch , Cocoa Powder , Calcium Carbonate , Oat Fiber , Rice Flour , Malt Extract , Chocolate Flavored Coating , Lactitol , Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil , Chicory Extract , Cocoa , Sucralose , Salt , Lecithin , Distilled Monoglycerides , Vanilla Extract , Sodium Caseinate , Partially Hydrogenated Guar Gum , Calcium Phosphate , Chicory Extract Less Than 2% of the Following , Natural Flavor Less Than 2% of the Following , Artificial Flavor Less Than 2% of the Following , Magnesium Oxide Less Than 2% of the Following , Maltodextrin Less Than 2% of the Following , Ascorbic Acid Less Than 2% of the Following - Vitamin C , Ferrous Fumarate Less Than 2% of the Following , Biotin Less Than 2% of the Following , Cholecalciferol Less Than 2% of the Following - Vitamin D , Chromium Chloride Less Than 2% of the Following , Copper Gluconate Less Than 2% of the Following , Cyanocobalamin Less Than 2% of the Following - Vitamin B12 , D-Calcium Pantothenate Less Than 2% of the Following , DL-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate Less Than 2% of the Following - Vitamin E , Folic Acid Less Than 2% of the Following , Manganese Sulfate Less Than 2% of the Following , Niacinamide Less Than 2% of the Following - Vitamin B3 , Phytonadione Less Than 2% of the Following - Vitamin K , Potassium Iodide Less Than 2% of the Following , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride Less Than 2% of the Following - Vitamin B6 , Retinyl Palmitate Less Than 2% of the Following - Vitamin A , Riboflavin Less Than 2% of the Following - Vitamin B2 , Sodium Molybdate Less Than 2% of the Following , Sodium Selenite Less Than 2% of the Following , Thiamine Mononitrate Less Than 2% of the Following - Vitamin B1 , Zinc Oxide Less Than 2% of the Following

Each bar has 220 calories and 28 grams of carbohydrates! Throughout the book he talks about eating healthy and the evils of sugar so I was very disappointed when I saw the ingredients.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 22:41

BF:

Hmmm . . . 3 of the first four ingredients are sugar and the other is starch. Don't know if Hydrogenated Starch is as bad as hydrogenated fats. Does he figure that all those vitamins make it healthy?

Doesn't he realize that so many of us are addicted to sugar? I am really disappointed in him putting out a product like that.

Last edited by DONNA3 : Fri, Oct-03-03 at 22:44.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 10:31

BF:
Lightbulb Accountabilitu

Dr. Phil asks us to have someone in our lives to whom we have weekly accountability. . . that we are holding to our goals. Is anyone willing to do this with me? We have such a small group that we can do it with each other. What we would need to do is make sure that everyone checks in on say Monday and lets us know how they did the past week. Everyone in our small group wishing to do this, that is. We just need to take a personal interest in each other's progress and efforts and encourage each other.

Working toward one's goals is what counts here. Not everyone will loose weight every week. I do believe it is easier to hold to my goals if I have to report to someone. Sort of like Weight Watchers.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 11:26

Plan: modified sommersizing
Stats: 150/143.5/135 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 43%

I haven't had a chance to find out what Dr. Phil says - except via a magazine article I read, but accountability is a good thing.

Count me in