Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 16:58

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 215/202/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi, I'm new........

I have not been somersizing long but I am not losing like I had hoped. I started in June and would follow it and then go off for a day or two a couple of different times. I try to stick to it but then I would get discouraged because I can't seem to get into that "melt-down" mode. I lost a few pounds in the first few days and can't seem to lose anymore!!!!! I bought a few cans of somersweet but it is so expensive that I use it sparingly and tend to use a lot of aspartane sweetener. Could this be part of the problem, do you think? My mom is living with us right now so there are 2 of us somersizing and still have 6 other people to feed, too. Not much income coming in right now so things are pretty tight but I am really trying to lose so any info or guidance is greatly appreciated!!!!

When recipes call for parmesan cheese, is that the grated cheese in the can like you put on spaghetti or do you grate it yourself? Also, can't find celery root. Has anyone tried it to know if it is really good and worth eating? How to get it? Also, the only cream I have found at my usual store has milk listed in the ingredients. Is that a no-no? Please help!!! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 18:06
Registered Member

Plan: LC after breakfast
Stats: 150/146/135 Female 5'5"
BF:yes I have it.
Progress: 27%

shadow wolf, greetings! I'm new too. I don't have much to lose, but I can lose it over and over again. I'm doing a modified SS and seem to be over the cravings. I don't know if the scales are dropping yet, but I'm trying to be patient, keep the faith. PS I use splenda
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 19:12

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Shadow, and Hi Nancy, too, nice to 'meet' you both,

Shadowolf, I feel your frustration. I have had pretty much the same experience that you have. I started in June, lost a few pounds right away, then stopped losing. I still really believe that this way of eating is really healthy, and I think that even though Suzanne says to eat as much as you want, if I put a little portion control into things it might help.

About parmesan cheese; I think she uses both. I know for the bowls, it is the Kraft type in the can. That is strange that your cream has milk in it. The type I have been buying comes in little half-pint containers and is called heavy cream or whipping cream.

I love how good I feel on this way of eating, and even have had a lot more energy to work out more; I am still waiting for the melt too. I went to the Somersize website's chatroom last night and the people there had some good suggestions. They all experienced good weight loss, so I know it is possible.

Sandy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 07:26
Registered Member

Smile

Shadow wolf, I never tried celery root, but I use a lot of zuchini and cauliflower. the cauliflower , acts like mashed potatoes or rice, the squash I shred like noodles, squash is cheaper, here in NJ people are giving it away. Depending how you cook for your family, you can still have meat, vege and "potatoes". Sandy, I also mind my portions, I never was a big eater anyhow, I'm what's known as a Grazer-just a little, a day long. PS, I never do fast food. Just don't want to support that type of big business,besides, I don't think the food is worth the $$, (and I know how the food is treated by employees in some of those places). I always go to the mom and pop places. PPS I drink coffee and tea with Splenda, I was thinking that if I have several big glasses of iced tea, that could be several carbs,each time, so I'll try to switch some to H2O. Well, swimming season appears to be over for me :-( Its cold and rainy! Better put in some time on my total gym today, gonna start a journal ,too. Am feeling thinner today!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 08:17
Registered Member

I think after reading my response, I sounded preachy, sorry if I offend. But I just don't do fast foods, the portion sizes and those lovely fried apple pies-ooh....the temptation!!!! Forgive me ,I'm in market research and see things a little differently than most. ::
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 07:28

BF:
Progress:
Default thankyou....

Thankyou all for being sooo nice!!!!! I feel better eating this way too. I feel like my abdomen is a little flatter even tho I don't seem to measure much less but I didn't measure right off the bat. I also think hormones could be a big factor in why I am having trouble losing. Menopause is pure hell!!!!!!! Hopefully things will kick in cause I tend to discourage easily!!! Thanks again!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 15:18

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Shadowolf, hang in there!
Remember I said I wasn't losing? Well the melt started again for me, and I know it will for you too.

Sandy
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 08:34

BF:
Progress:

way to go, sandylee!!!!! I sure hope so cause I am really getting impatient!!! I haven't lost anything for weeks!!!! I really am beginning to believe it might have something to do with menopause. Just my luck!!!!! I am gonna try to keep eating this way. We are gonna be gone next weekend and that is when I have trouble sticking with it; when we have to eat out. How long were you stuck before you started losing again? Keep it up!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 13:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Revised
Stats: 190/184/145 Female 65 inches
BF:Not sure
Progress: 13%

Be sure to measure yourself also.... sometimes I don't see anything in the scale but will see a difference in the measuring!
Good luck....