Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-07, 10:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 372/236.6/199 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch9681
I don't understand the whole Metformin thing... are you diabetic, or does your MD just prescribe it as a weight loss pill?

"Many women with PCOS are insulin resistant. With this condition, the ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from the blood stream into muscle and tissue is greatly diminished. Metformin improves the cell’s response to insulin, and helps move glucose into the cell. As a result, your body will not be required to make as much insulin (1). "

Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-07, 12:26

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

I'm starting to wonder if I am IR or if I used to be.. can IR go away by itself, does anyone know? I used to have really soft brown patches on my bra line (and thought it was my bra, and bought several new bras.. that didn't help) and then it kind of just got lighter and lighter and now its not even there anymore. I don't have any other patches anywhere on my body.
  #108   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-07, 13:42
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
I'm starting to wonder if I am IR or if I used to be.. can IR go away by itself, does anyone know? I used to have really soft brown patches on my bra line (and thought it was my bra, and bought several new bras.. that didn't help) and then it kind of just got lighter and lighter and now its not even there anymore. I don't have any other patches anywhere on my body.
It can reverse with lc.
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-07, 08:14

Plan: 158548
Stats: 121/125/145 Female 154
BF:
Progress:

Hi Girls,
I have the same awful patches around my neck and it's really awful.

My dermatologist says my blood test is normal. I am not insulin resistant. My doctor says in my case AN is a hereditary condition which has no cure. I've tried to vanish the dark patches with Tri-Luma but there was no improvement.
My weight is normal and I don't have any disorder producing this.

However, this whole problem has affected my self-steem. Since I've diagnosed with AN I feel less confident about my appearance...I feel anyone looking at me is gonna notice the dark ring around my neck and reject me, which makes me feel uncomfortable and embarrassed...Sometimes I feel like explaining what I have to the world, so that noone may think it's a question of bad hygene. Come on, it's a dermatological condition after all! But this dilemma is really killing me and I don't know what to do...

I wear a long hair so as to hide my neck, but sometimes I sort of get tired of the whole thing. Shit it feels really awful.
Anyone out there feeling the same way?

I've also tried to hide the patches with make-up. There's a good special make-up by La Roche Possay which is highly recommendable but still it's only a temporary solution...

Ok, if you feel like talking, please write to debora_argentina1980~hotmail.com

best!!!
Deb

PS: Sorry if you find any language mistakes but English is not my mother tongue. I am from Argentina and I speak Spanish lol...
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-07, 09:58

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Hi Deb,

There is a laser therapy, used for age spots, etc, that can lighten dark spots on your skin. Speak to your doctor and to a dermatologist before having the treatments. It really really works.
  #111   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-07, 13:13

Stats: 145/135/120 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress:
Default hey Patricia!

Hi Patricia. I'd like to have a chat with you because I'm so glad I founded this site. I didn't know they were people like me that had this problem. I'd really appreciate it if you get at me.
Thanks, Pati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia16
Hi...I'm 16 and I have AN....I cried when I read over all these posts....I am overweight and I hate it I am trying to eat right, but it's hard...I have AN around my neck, under my arms in the groin ect. Its so hard to live w/ since I'm in High school and these kids can be rough in this day and age! I have a b/f that "claims" he hasnt seen it but he has, I wanna die when I catch him glancing.....I just started a diet today so I will keep you girls posted.....This is so hard to life w/ and I'm glad that I have some one to talk to......Thank you guys so much.....
  #112   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 11:57
Registered Member

Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I had patches like this, but they faded once I started taking metformin. PCOS is miserable!
  #113   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-07, 16:48

Stats: 230/230/130 Female 65
BF:
Progress:
Default AN Victims- let's get together! Chicago, IL

I was beginning to think about the comfort that I have received from this forum, and knowing that there are other people out there that suffer from the same problem I have suffered with the majority of my life. There is noone in my life that I talk to about this, and I am glad to have a group of people that I am now able to talk to, and even more know first hand exactly what I am going through....

Let's get together. Is anyone from Chicago? I would love to meet some of you in person.

Thanks

Rocio
  #114   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 10:27

Plan: not sure
Stats: 145/145/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default i am!

I'm from the chicago suburbs. But actually I'm in school right now at UIUC.

I haven't seen any doctors yet about my problem, but a lot of it has faded from exercising and watching what I eat. Although I still have many days where I binge on carbs or go out and have some drinks...

so yeah. still quite an upsetting issue in my life.
  #115   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 10:52

Plan: none
Stats: 196/196/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I too have a dark neck and dark armpits and 3 weeks ago I tried fish oil pills. I have seen a great improvement. While it has not gone away, my neck has lightened. I take one every day with a meal and also have lost five pounds so this probably helped too. You can email me at lizzyl517~aim.com for any questions or want to hear my story. I have had this for so many years but have not let it interfere with my life.
  #116   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-07, 07:11

BF:
Progress:

are you sure the fish oil pills? or have you changed your overall diet in general?
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 14:51

BF:
Progress:

Yes, I bought Nature Made odor less fish oil pills at Target. I have not changed anything in my diet and have had good results. I don't remember where I read it but I was desperate to try something that could help me with my neck. I searched online like a mad woman and than read somewhere about fish oil pills and "a dark ring around the neck". I figured it was worth a try because I had nothing to lose and I am taking them every day now. =)
  #118   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 09:39

BF:
Progress:

hmm maybe i'll try it! has it helped your armpits at all?
  #119   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 09:39

BF:
Progress:

Yes, it has helped my armpits. I'm kind of embarrassed about this but it has helped me under my breasts too. Although I have noticed ever since I started taking them, I am always really thirsty. I feel like I have cotton mouth all the time, which is actually pretty good because I drink A LOT more water now.
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 09:19

Plan: going to try atkins
Stats: 245/245/156 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

hey guys, im from the UK i have great comfort in reading your posts. i am 21 years old and i have been diagnosed with PCOS since i was 16. however i have always had these 'dark patches' which when i was a child were refered to as elphant skin. like all of you i have scrubbed untill i have bled to. i am starting to develop these skin tags too, which untill reading this i never thought were linked togther.
i have been engaged for over a year now and my fiance doesnt even notice these 'patches' he says it doesnt bother him. if its part of me he loves it.

i have been reading all your posts and you all talk about these creams and pills...i live in the UK and were wondering if any of you know if these creams are avalible over here? you've all talked about tri-luma, and lustra and this amlactin.

if someone could get back to me that would be great.

thanks
kailie xx