Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-09, 06:46

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Here's a well illustrated article from the Mayo Clinic:

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol...hosis/katz.html
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-09, 06:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishy
Am I the only one who's had success with Selsen Blue? I definitely had these on my neck and between/under my breasts and in the inside fold of my arm (opposite elbow). They went away with low carb weight loss, but when they started coming back (stupid me... falling off the wagon) a doctor told me to apply selsen blue like a lotion before going to bed for three nights in a row. This worked for me and my sister...

Just in case you think this isn't what I had. It was!!! I was diagnosed by a doctor at 15 with this and given a topical treatment... Didn't work. I spent college scrubbing the breast fold area with a wire bathroom scrubber til it bled... that velvety texture is unmistakable.
And this worked for me.

Are you postitive it was AN?

Selsun Blue is an old time cure for tinea versicolor - which I believe is a fungal infection in the outer layer of the skin which is brownish in color.
  #168   ^
Old Fri, Mar-20-09, 07:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLuvsM
Also does anyone in here with AN also suffer from Confluent and Reticulated Papillomatosis?

A picture of it: (It's like a patchy version of AN, and is sometimes associated with AN.)
http://162.129.70.33/images/papilomatosus_1_040402.jpg

I was diagnosed with it many years ago (funny they diagnosed this and not the very obvious AN!!), and it went away with a round antibiotics.
However it came back, and has disappeared and reappeared many times since.

What I've noticed with this condition, is that I can easily control it with my diet.... a low-carb one. I've tried it at least 4 times now, and each time it goes away.
So I was just wondering if anyone here also has it?

The reddish brown color is similar to what I had, but I had blotches of it, here & there, separated by healthy normal looking skin. After it had been around for several years, some of the blotches became raised and very itchy.

It I'd use something like monistat or lamisal for a week straight, they'd almost go away for a few days before coming straight back.
  #169   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-09, 11:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLuvsM
Also does anyone in here with AN also suffer from Confluent and Reticulated Papillomatosis?

A picture of it: (It's like a patchy version of AN, and is sometimes associated with AN.)
http://162.129.70.33/images/papilomatosus_1_040402.jpg

I was diagnosed with it many years ago (funny they diagnosed this and not the very obvious AN!!), and it went away with a round antibiotics.
However it came back, and has disappeared and reappeared many times since.

What I've noticed with this condition, is that I can easily control it with my diet.... a low-carb one. I've tried it at least 4 times now, and each time it goes away.
So I was just wondering if anyone here also has it?

My were on my trunk, and the ones at my bra line were very uncomfortable in the summer. If I spread large amounts of monistat, several times a day, it would slowly fade away, but immediately on stopping the application, it would start to come back.

It was similar in color to the reddish-brown color in your pick, but raised,more like a blotchy plaque.

I remembered last night, that a couple years ago, I happened to notice that two of the blotches were developed areas that were black.

I don't have any health insurance, and was worried that it could be some type of skin cancer, the black scared me.

Anyway, since I did know that the anti-fungal monistat DID impact it, I wanted to find something along those lines that might have a permanent effect.

Anyway, years ago at GardenWeb I read lots about using baking soda for a whole variety of molds, mildews, and fungus in the garden, and it is an ingredient in so many bath salts so can't be all that dangerous.

Anyway, I put the contents of a 2 pound box of baking soda in the bath, two nights in a row, and then once again about three weeks later.

The blotches have never returned, but occasional the areas of skin where they were... feel a little sensitive or "itchy."

Anyway, I had NO idea that all those veggies, fruits, and beans I was eating were crating this. I have no idea if I have PCOS, but I've had some of the symptoms for a very long time.

Yesterday morning I took a baking soda bath and rubbed a cup of it into my scalp, too, as it seemed that some type of seborrhea is trying to catch hold. I soaked for about half an hour, keeping the water good & HOT.

About ten hours later, the baking soda soak had a laxative effect, and for hours thereafter alot of gas pains which interrupted my sleep.

Next time, I'll such a bath at bedtime.

I've seen quite a few online postings about a book entitled, It's My Ovaries, Stupid!! which I plan to get ahold of and read.

I'd been trying to deal with that "rash" for almost four years, before the baths, and since then it hasn't rearisen.
  #170   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 15:43

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 160/162/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:
Default drepressed due to AN

Hello, I'm so glad to find a place where I don't feel so alone with AN. I have suffered from this since I can remember, probably since around 8 years old. I am 32 years old now. I have heard many saying that its due to carbs, obesity, diebetes, and PCOS related, but I have neither. ..it seems to be more of being hederitary. My Mom has it, and many members of my family have it. I have 2 children who are 12 and 8 and both of them have it and they are both healthy weight and all, even their pediatrician told me she's never seen a healthy child with this skin condition. So all the diet sfuff does not help us. I am in a total depression because I have tried so many things and nothing has worked. For the most part I feel that I'm not a bad looking woman, but when I see my skin, it kills me, but what mostly kills me is seeing my 12 year old daughter starting to become self concious of this. and I hate my self.. I have it in around my neck, armpits, and genital area. its disgusting, it has kept me from being who I want to be, it killed my self-esteem...and I can't bare the thought of my kids going through this. I have tried to accept it, but I can't I feel like a total freak. I am desperate looking for a solution, a real solution. I am tired of trying bogus treatments, wasting money, and more than anything having my dreams killed everytime. God knows that I would give up my house if I had to if that would give us a solution. I beg for a good solution. Thank you!
  #171   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 12:23

Plan: my own
Stats: 219.5/214/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I was wondering how young can a child be put on the metformin for the dark rings. My daughter Ivy has Crohn's Disease but she is overweight. She is 11 years old and has the dark ruff rings around neck and underarms. She is extremely embarrassed by them and I hate to see her hurt. Diabetes runs on both sides of the family and I know that she is on her way. She has cut back on the carbs but so far the dark spots haven't faded. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.
Becky
Ivy's mom
  #172   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 21:08

Plan: dont know yet
Stats: 187/181/135 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Acanthosis Nigricans

Hi i also have this ive had it for years and was unaware that it was a sign of Pre-Diabetes or Diabetes 2 and Insulin Resistance which can also cause PCOS...I have been on Metformin for 1 week now and ive noticed that its pretty much gone...Hope this helps!
  #173   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 21:09

BF:
Progress:

Hi as far as i know you can be as young as 10...hope this helps!!!
  #174   ^
Old Tue, May-12-09, 06:02

Stats: 219.5/214/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Thanks, I have made an appointment with Ivy's drs. Ivy also deals with Crohn's disease. We have been using a lotion called amblactin and it seems to be lightening the areas that are affected. If a 11 year old is on the low carb how many carbs can she have and still be safe because of growing and things like that?
  #175   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 09:13

BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa777
Thanks for replying . It is so annoying I have lost a few lbs since I started locarbing but they will not lighten up. the worst is between my breast . I got this while I was pregnant and now that I think about it my glucose was high during my pregnancy I almost had gestational diabetes. so I guess we're stuck looking dirty!! lol
Hey have you guys thought about making a journal? that way we can keep in touch and share our experiences! take care ladies!

I was wondering if youve thought about maybe a fungus infection when i was prego i got one on my bikini line that was simply from being pregnant , i haven't herd to much about Acanthosis being between breasts before, although im not a doctor lol...But i though maybe this could be an option to broaden the horizon so to speak lol...
  #176   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 09:16

BF:
Progress:
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivy's mom
Thanks, I have made an appointment with Ivy's drs. Ivy also deals with Crohn's disease. We have been using a lotion called amblactin and it seems to be lightening the areas that are affected. If a 11 year old is on the low carb how many carbs can she have and still be safe because of growing and things like that?

Hmm thats a tuff question, probably best left up to a dietitian, ive also scheduled myself for a dietitian for the same questions...
  #177   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 03:35

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 300/251/170 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 38%

I had a severe case of Acanthosis Nigricans when I was initially diagnosed - after some significant blood work - and literally enough insulin for two people (per the PCP), I was immediately put on a few different types of medication.

15 years later thanks to prescriptions, dietary changes and weight loss, most of it is significantly gone - I have traces of it on my underarms but not as dark as dirt...
  #178   ^
Old Fri, May-29-09, 08:47

BF:
Progress:

Hey i just wanted to let you know that glucose is for diabetes only , it could be your insulin levels, have them check those!
  #179   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 00:53

Stats: 125/117/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:
Default zamina you may have trimethylaminuria (tmau) along with acanthosis nigricans

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamina
Hi all..

This is zamina from india.Iam a 25 year old girl who is working in a private firm after completing my MBA.
I have a serious skin problem and two months back i visited a dermatologist and found out that its a fungal infection and curing possibility is only 50%.
The Dermatologist just told me its a fungal infection.

I went through the web and checked with my symptoms and Iam confused whether this is a candida infection,.

I'am dark skinned and this fungal infection has worsened my skin in all sweat areas inclusive of my neck,under-arms,inner thighs,under breasts etc..

I'am 5'2 ht and weigh 62 kgs.Being a Science graduate i came to understand the cause and effects of this fungal attack but did not reveal to my mom till it worsened to such an extent.

The areas especially my underarms and thighs have become deposited with thick layers of skin,darkened,and really smelling bad.I understood my ignorance and now want to really know whether there will be a solution for my problem.

iam totally depressed and dont want to delay anymore.will i have a cure for this.will I have a future.I was so ignorant that my case has become so worsened .

Doctor Please help me out.....

Thanks and regards..
zamina

my name is sasha and i was born with an, it has bothered me for years and i cant remember the time i wore short sleeves or even a skirt. but i have something worse than an, it is called tmau. THe tmau makes me smell like fecal matter, fish, garbage and its very embarrasing. google tmau to get more info. high school was torture for me b/c i was teased and told that i smell like fecal matter. i smelled so bad, the small i had could fill a whole room. sometimes id smell like rotten eggs. if id eat a banana, id smell like rotten bananas. the insults i got in school was endless. i diagnosed myself with tmau and so far there is no cure for it, but online it says that it can be treated. you dont know how this makes me feel, i feel horrible when ppl talk behind my back and back away from me. and the phrase they mostly use is " omg whats that smell, or "she stinks". i hate it but i have to live with it and it sucks. i stayed home from high school and was home shooled b/c of it, i never went to my prom and i never go out to parties. right now im not in college and im very depressed b/c i feel like no one understands. i smell horrible and to top it off, it sucks that i have to wear sweaters. long sleeve shirts and jeans in the summer. reading this site has helped and let me tell u im determined to fo whatever to change whats been happening to me. i wish u all the best of luck
  #180   ^
Old Fri, Nov-13-09, 14:18

Plan: Dietician Program
Stats: 165/143/100 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress:
Default Please help!!

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum and don't know if anyone reads it still since it has been a while since anyone's posted anything, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I also have PCOS and acanthosis nigricans and stretch marks, because of being overweight and having a high carbohydrate intake in my diet. I have been dieting for eight months now and have lost 25 pounds. i also exrcise regularly. My stretch marks obviously will never go away but I had high hopes that my AN patches would. I have them all over, on my neck, armpits, groin, elbows and knees.

Above all, having this has really affected my love life. It takes me a long time to be able to open up to men and date, because when they'll find out what I have, they will be disgusted. I thought about loving myself and helping to improve my condition with a positive attitude, but the last two guys I dated left me when they saw my skin's condition saying that I disgusted them. I guess I'm a monster.

Now, I have very low self confidence and esteem and have actually gone into depression, trying to commit suicide twice. I need help or someone that was in a similar situation and overcame this, so I can have a little hope.

Thank you beforehand.