Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-08, 14:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/226.1/180 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Am I the only one who's had success with Selsen Blue? I definitely had these on my neck and between/under my breasts and in the inside fold of my arm (opposite elbow). They went away with low carb weight loss, but when they started coming back (stupid me... falling off the wagon) a doctor told me to apply selsen blue like a lotion before going to bed for three nights in a row. This worked for me and my sister...

Just in case you think this isn't what I had. It was!!! I was diagnosed by a doctor at 15 with this and given a topical treatment... Didn't work. I spent college scrubbing the breast fold area with a wire bathroom scrubber til it bled... that velvety texture is unmistakable.
And this worked for me.

Last edited by Tishy : Fri, Oct-24-08 at 15:05.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-08, 09:32

Plan: no
Stats: 130/130/130 Female 5ft 3inch
BF:
Progress:

i am not overweight at all and i tried no carbs but it didn't work. thanks for the selsun blue idea, i'll try it but i know it wont work.
  #138   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-08, 10:40

Plan: not sure
Stats: 145/145/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default selsun blue

I have a lot of questions...,won't it stain your clothes? do you just rub it in? do you wash it off in the morning? how long before you noticed changes?
  #139   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-08, 11:18
Registered Member

Stats: 230/226.1/180 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Well, I rubbed it on like lotion and it does stay on the skin (not soak in) but it didn't stain my clothes or sheets. It did make them smell though I guess it soaks in through the night cause but I didn't really pay attention. Just showered as usual. On my breast area, after the third day I noticed it started to kinda crust up. But I also kinda scrubbed with it there... so that might have been it. I was so terrified that I had really messed up my skin. After the irritation cleared up, so did the dark patches...
On my inside elbows, I stopped after three days and didn't really notice a difference. Then later that week at work, I looked at them and realized they were gone! That one I didn't "scrub in".
Those were my experiences.
  #140   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-08, 05:47

Plan: 158548
Stats: 121/125/145 Female 154
BF:
Progress:
Default Question

Hi everyone,
I've got an important question.
Is AN a sign of insulin-resistance?
I've had the dark patches around my neck since I was very little, also under my arms...but i've never been obese. I went to the dermatologist and she said some people genetically have this particular colour in skin folds.

I got tested to see if my insulin levels were high but they are not.

My question is:
Is AN necessarily a sign of early diabetes/ insulin-resistance?
Do these dark patches mean that I am going to develop diabetes in the future?

For the record, my weight is normal.
Best and thank you for your comments.
It's been nice to see that I'm not alone in this.
Débora from Argentina
  #141   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-08, 15:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:
Default Tattood gal

I have had dark elbows, knuckles, dark neck and a lot of dark speckles on my upper back X 20 YRS. I FINALLY found out it was AN 1 year ago just by surfing the internet and reading threads like this one. Dr's were never able to figure out what I had. I was at normal weight most my life w/ AN but did eat way too many carbs. I'm filopina so I gave up rice completely even brown rice, now my skin is better, I only have the dark spots on my elbows and upper back in which I just got a huge tattoo on my upper back just to cover these ugly spots!!!! I think the trick to beating AN is decreasing carb intake, or eating protein along w/ carbs and not just carbs alone so your body can better absorb the carbs.
GOOD LUCK!!!!
  #142   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 02:16

BF:
Progress:

i've lived off fruits and veggies even at a low weight just to see what was wrong with me and my spots NEVER changed. so i think some poeple are like me, not overweight, no medical issues, not eating the wrong foods, yet just have these dark nasty spots everywhere. i guess we just gotta say OH WELL and never leave our homes. thanks God!
  #143   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 05:27

Plan: 158548
Stats: 121/125/145 Female 154
BF:
Progress:

Yes...We have to accept this skin condition...but I don't agree with this question of "never leaving our homes"...
Come on people...I know having these dark spots cannot be nice or desirable but we can carry on, can't we.
If we can't, then we are having another problem which has nothing to do with our skin...

best!!
Deb
  #144   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 22:55

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 238/218.5/158 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 24%

I have had the ring around the neck in the past and it went away well it's back again and at first I wasn't realizing this was from my insulin resistance I kept scrubbing and scrubbing then realized it wasn't dirty. I am thinking of using lightening pads on it? I hate this it looks horrible. I started on glucophage a week ago I hope it helps.
  #145   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-08, 09:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:
Default tattood gal

Please listen everyone- I have done tons of research, I am also a Registered Nurse. When there are too many carbs ingested in one sitting (without fiber or protein), only certain amount of carbs can convert into energy into the cells. The rest is lingering around in your body as insulin, not knowing where to go. Unfortunately in some people all the extra insulin migrates into the skin cells and voala!!! We've got AN!!!

Think of it as these carbs are knocking on the door (your cells) and there's too many so only some are locked out.

I am finally 85% free of these ugly itchy spots. I can't seem to get rid of the ones on my elbows, but the ones on my neck, breasts, knuckles, knees and face are gone... YES!!! I had it all over!!! Like I said, I'm filopina and I used to eat 4-5 cups of WHITE RICE in ONE SITTING!!! Now I just eat veggies w/ meat for dinner instead of meat, veggies and carbs. I have lost 40 lbs and have maintained it. My body was RUINED from all the years of excessive carbs, even if I cheat one day and have a carb fiesta, I get some dark spots on my neck the next day.

I was sooo distraught from the spots on my back I had a huge tattoo done over it. At least it's a pretty tattoo!
  #146   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-08, 08:30

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Just wanted to let you guys know that I am having success with this condition which was very prominent in my under arm.

I have been taking DIM and calcium d glucarate and progesterone cream ... I dont know which one in perticular is doing the trick but it is.

i agree with insuline resisitence as one of the cause but it is a complex disease and hormonal imbalance is more pronounced than anything else.

You have to acheive hormonal balance the way you do it varies from person to person. Weightloss is the answer to most not all.
  #147   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-08, 11:27

BF:
Progress:

thanks for the info are both given by prescription only?
  #148   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-08, 11:59

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

NO they are supplements.
DIM(diindolymethane) is a an extract from cruciferous plants like cabbage and brocoly where as calcium D glucarate is found in the skins of fruits.
  #149   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-08, 14:16

Stats: 219/217/110 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I have those nasty patches between my legs (great place eh?) I have PCOS and it's a symptom of it along with the insulin resistance which is why they show up. I just thought it was because I was over weight and my skin rubbed together... I've since lost 55 pounds and am on Metformin and exercise everyday. I have recently started to go more low carb to lose even more weight.. got another 50 to go. PCOS sucks along with all it's stupid symptoms... hopefully those dark yellowy patches will go away...
  #150   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-08, 20:00

Plan: cruzin'
Stats: 180/180/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

wow, i cant tell yall what a relief it is to read alot of these stories. I've had AN since before 7th grade and would always go to bed promising myself i'd wash more! I've never been morbidly obese but more so on the pleasantly plump side. I could never understand why I had this when girls 3x my size didnt.

AN has played into my everyday life, holding me back from feeling beautiful all the time. I literally spent my 7th and 8th grade years in hoodies and jeans, even in the summer, completely miserable. Completely paranoid SOMEONE would ask me about my neck, and i'd have to explain.

I'm now a Junior in highschool and the still have AN on my neck.

I'm not sure words can express how ugly i feel at times. I'd say i've become well adjusted, with my long hair to cover me up, but it really does pain me that i cant go to a dress shop and try on a strapless dress and look beautiful with my hair thrown up. I mean i could, but its not the same.

But im determined to get this under control. I have to, for me.