Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-12, 17:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/177/128 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Fatigue after exercise!

I have been LC for 3 1/2 weeks and this is the first time I've gotten back into the saddle to do some bicycling. I did 10 miles of road bicycling today and I have felt horrible ever since. Extreme fatigue.. I just want to close my eyes & sleep. I have no energy to do anything. I had some veggies for a snack after my ride (about 4 carbs worth) and it didn't help.

I am wanting to train to do my first 30 mile ride in November and I don't know if I'll ever get there if I feel like this everyday

Anyone have any idea of what might be going on? Blood sugar too low? I feel like my body just isn't using fat as energy. I've only lost 4lbs in the last 3 weeks and I average under 20 carbs a day. Hoping exercise will help move things along.

Jen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-12, 19:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Salt! You lose a ton of sodium when you are in ketosis. See the thread in my signature.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-12, 23:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/177/128 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

For some reason I can't see your signature!?

Is sea salt okay? I will look into it.. thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 11:43

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/183/182 Male 187
BF:
Progress:

Hi Jen!

Seems that you are in ketogenic state (less than 50g carbs a day, were you?).

Believe it or not, but YOU NEED carbs. You are doing endurance, hence you need glycogen in your muscles to function properly.
Fat is burned primarily at lower intensity activity (such as walking), that's why people willing to lose fat (and keep muscle), should concentrate on that sort of stuff and NOT jump on the treadmill.

Your glycogen stores are empty after you cycle, so you need to replenish them. There is a 30 minute window right after workout, when you should reload with some high GI meal (e.g. sweet potatoes). Try it for yourself and see how it works.

You will need some tinkering in order to figure out how much carbs a day you need. LC diet is a relative thing.

Good luck and Stay Healthy!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 12:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oops... sorry, forgot to include my siggy.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 17:20
The Girl from Ipomea

Plan: Atkins 72,Zero Carb
Stats: 229/212/160 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:well shucks....
Progress: 25%

Hmm I know some Zero carbers who compete in long road races, I am looking at your stats, you have lost 33 lb.s in what time? Great job but I wouldn't be suprised if there is an electrolyte imbalance, what kind of LC are you doing? I am not a doctor but those are factors you have to consider, how much did you weigh last time you trained and how long ago was that? Are you eating? There are so many factors involved in finding answers... all I can say is rest when tired, check your plan, whatever it is and nothing wrong with some good dirty sea salt on your steak...IMHO>>>
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 18:23

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%
Thumbs up

i average 4 to 7 miles a day on the elliptical and/or treadmill and i stay under 20 carbs per day (lots of meat not very much veggies), and i have a regular regimen of B Vitamins including Biotin (the forgotten B), Iron, the Omegas 3 n' 6, plus a bunch others like vitamin E, Calcium, Womens One A Day, Evening Primrose, Vitamin C, and the kitchen sink...etc.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-12, 20:27
The Girl from Ipomea

Plan: Atkins 72,Zero Carb
Stats: 229/212/160 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:well shucks....
Progress: 25%

Yikes just realised that that post was from September.... someone really bumped that one ..... wonder how the training went?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-13, 14:22
Registered Member

Plan: paleo and ketogenic
Stats: 120/113/110 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaGirl
Hmm I know some Zero carbers who compete in long road races, I am looking at your stats, you have lost 33 lb.s in what time? Great job but I wouldn't be suprised if there is an electrolyte imbalance, what kind of LC are you doing? I am not a doctor but those are factors you have to consider, how much did you weigh last time you trained and how long ago was that? Are you eating? There are so many factors involved in finding answers... all I can say is rest when tired, check your plan, whatever it is and nothing wrong with some good dirty sea salt on your steak...IMHO>>>

That is awesome. Zero carb and running races?? I am trying to keep my blood sugar stable and keep up my workouts but sometimes I notice I want more carbs after I workout??
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-13, 14:30

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Once you are fully keto-adapted, glucose is not longer necessary, your body can run off of fat and ketones. He's the story of a low carb guy who has won at least a couple of 100 mile ultra-marathons: http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012...ff-volek-study/

The best way to keep blood sugar stable is to keep carbs low.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-13, 18:23
Registered Member

Plan: paleo and ketogenic
Stats: 120/113/110 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Once you are fully keto-adapted, glucose is not longer necessary, your body can run off of fat and ketones. He's the story of a low carb guy who has won at least a couple of 100 mile ultra-marathons: http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012...ff-volek-study/

The best way to keep blood sugar stable is to keep carbs low.

Amazing. I love it.
Thanks for sharing.