Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-08, 23:48

Plan: Atkin's Induction
Stats: 218/208/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Why must all the good recipes have nuts! I really want to try this, but am trying to get back into induction right now. I guess I could be nice and make them for my husband;-)

BTW, I have cooked with desiccated unsweetened coconut meat with great results! You can buy unsweetened flakes and make it yourself, as well. I find that some recipes do better if you let them soak a bit before baking. I use unsweetened coconut flakes in homemade ice cream sometimes, too, and it comes out best if you soak it for an hour or more first. I usually soak mine in Almond Breeze, but plain water would work as well.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 05:32

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiKitty
Why must all the good recipes have nuts! I really want to try this, but am trying to get back into induction right now. I guess I could be nice and make them for my husband;-)

BTW, I have cooked with desiccated unsweetened coconut meat with great results! You can buy unsweetened flakes and make it yourself, as well. I find that some recipes do better if you let them soak a bit before baking. I use unsweetened coconut flakes in homemade ice cream sometimes, too, and it comes out best if you soak it for an hour or more first. I usually soak mine in Almond Breeze, but plain water would work as well.

Kiki - I made these w/coconut flour instead of almond flour and they were wonderful! Came out much "cakier" - I don't care for the "greasiness and grittiness" of almond flour, so I often sub with coconut. Great recipe to adapt, for sure.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 07:48
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%

I never noticed my cookies were greasy or gritty, even using almond flour. I wouldn't eat them if they turned out like that. I use Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour. Maybe it's finer grind than others, I'm not sure. Just wanted to clarify that is you make them with almond flour, they won't neccessarily be gritty or greasy. Mine haven't been that way...they've been quite cakey and smooth-tasting. Just wanted to clarify!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 08:13

BF:

No, I wasn't saying they WOULD turn out like that - just that when I have used it in the past, that was what *I* found. Elle, I also use the Bod's Red Mill Almond Flour - just an individual taste thing, I guess!

(Oh, and the poster said she didn't want to use nuts, which was why I suggested the coconut).
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 11:53
Registered Member

It's OK Betsy! I just wanted to clarify that I noticed any grittiness with this particular recipe in the OP? Did you? In fact I was shocked at how smooth and cakey they were.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 12:12

BF:

But.... coconut is still a nut... right? I mean, it's right there in the name;-)
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 12:15
Registered Member

This site describes coconut as a seed. Seeds aren't allowed on induction either.

Last edited by ElleH : Tue, Jan-29-08 at 12:22.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 12:30

BF:

Wow, who knew? That's really fascinating! But yeah, no seeds either. Now if I can convince my husband to stop leaving cashews all over the house, maybe I'll make these cookies for him! (He knows I love cashews, and am trying not to eat nuts right now.)
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 14:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
It's OK Betsy! I just wanted to clarify that I noticed any grittiness with this particular recipe in the OP? Did you? In fact I was shocked at how smooth and cakey they were.

Hi Elle - actually, no, they did turn out pretty good with the AF! Maybe because so little was used. I made one of the recipes from Linda's site for coffee cake with, like, 2 cups of AF in it, and wanted to gag! Have you baked at all with CF? I just love it.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-08, 16:47
Registered Member

Actually, I have only made the 3 min chocolate cake and vanilla cake (which is basically this recipe baked in a ramekin) and these cookies...that's about it. I am just delving into the world of LC baking. I do want to try the pumpkin bars with it. I made them the first time with pecan meal and flax meal and I loved them!
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 05:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/128/130 Female 65in
BF:
Progress: 110%

Hi Elle. These sound great and I'm going to give them a try but I can only find boxes of granulated Splenda here in England. Do you know how much is in a packet?
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 08:16
Registered Member

A packet of splenda would be 2 tsp of the granulated splenda. I would start with 4 tsp for the recipe and see if you can get by with less. The 3 packets of splenda was too sweet for me.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/128/130 Female 65in
BF:
Progress: 110%

Thanks Elle - that's very helpful. These will be the first cookies I've had since going low carb. Can't wait!
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 21:10

BF:

Well, I made them, a triple batch in fact, so we'd have a few to share on Friday with friends who don't eat sugar. The AF must make all the difference. I usually make my own AF in the food processor with blanched almonds, and my cookies look and taste nothing like yours. They look more like oatmeal cookies, and while they are very moist, they have a whole grain-bread-ish texture. I think I'm going to have to order some AF and try it again. They are good, though, just different than what I expected (or what your photo looks like.)
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-08, 08:44
Registered Member

I've never been able to get the almond flour as fine, or as uniform in size, for that matter using my own FP, so I gave up and I buy it at the store--Bob's Red Mill brand. I still want to try to make my own coconut flour, though.