Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 17:50

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic
Stats: 245/167/180 Male 71.5
BF:30%/11.4%/9%
Progress: 120%
Default My CKD Plan - Any adjustments?

Ok, I am starting my CKD diet now, I've been doing induction for 2 weeks now. This week I have been in the gym every day but Tuesday.

Before I go into this, give you my vitals: 71.5 inches in height, 165lbs, around 18% body fat.

Starting Tomorrow:
Breakfast: Coffee and Atkins Morning Start bar, 2g carbohydrates.

Hit the gym around 10 AM after class. This is going to include full lifting session, hitting my back and chest the hardest. If I have any energy left, i'm going to do HIIT for 10-20 minutes.

Post Workout I will have 40g of 100% Whey Protein in a shake. About 2ish I will knock myself out of ketosis with some low-fat foods, leaning towards a bagel with turkey and maybe some low-fat ice cream. After this meal, i'll probably have some sort of pasta dinner. Saturday I will stick with low GI foods such as wheat bread.

Sound good so far..?

Sunday comes around, I will kick myself into ketosis again, hitting the gym at midday or morning, and eating only meats like chicken, beef, et cetera, probably some eggs with them. Aiming for a very very low carbs this day.

Monday, I'll go back to 20g's a day.

My exercise plan for M-F next week:
On MWF I almost always have a atkins morning start bar with my coffee, as i'm in a rush for class usually. I get out at 12:30 on MW, but 9:30 on F. I will exercise exactly after these classes, working muscles fully on MWF, followed by HIIT. On Tuesday/Thursday, I will be doing strictly cardio, 30 minutes, light session.

After each workout with weights on MWF, I'll have 40g of whey protein.

I usually do not eat in the day until after I workout on MWF, with the exception of the morning start bar.

Does this sound good to you guys then?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 18:11
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

I don't think there is any point to doing HIIT after a weight training session. The weight training does the same thing as HIIT, so it should be better to just follow it with moderate cardio.

You should be eating your fruit and kicking yourself out of ketosis right before your depletion workout. This makes you use more of the glycogen in your muscles in your workout instead of burning fat for energy. This is turn depletes you more thoroughly so that you will be set up for your muscles to better "super compensate" with more glycogen storage (the whole point of the carb-up).

As I said HIIT would be better off done tue. and thur. because that will raise your metabolism all day, which weightlifting is already going to do for you M/W/F.
Sunday you should actually lower your protein and raise your fat, as this will help speed you back into ketosis. Also the best thing as far as training goes to speed your way back to ketosis (Sun) is long, slow to moderate cardio, say just walking or slow jog for 45 min to 1hr 45min.

One last thing, don't be scared to eat enough carbs in the form of fiberous vegies, it will help you GO, if you know what I mean. Eating nothing but meat and fat can stop you up and is no fun. I personally had probs and physlium only helped a little. But then started eating a small salad with almost EVERY meal, even if just lettuce, but often brocolli or cauliflower or stuff like that and NEVER have the problems during keto any more. Carb-ups can be tough in that regard also (digestive issues), but you'll find that out soon enough.

Good luck, hang tough, Chip

Last edited by Chipperoo : Thu, May-13-04 at 18:17.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 18:17

I do not expect the carb-up to be much different. Before I am "officially" following correctly, I used to put myself into ketosis on sunday and diet and exercise til friday, then usually Friday night I would knock myself out of ketosis. I am only simply following it more strictly now..
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 18:23
Southern Gentleman

Cool, you asked for input, I inputted
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 18:25
Southern Gentleman

I just saw you started from 245lbs, that's great dude, you've been doing what it takes and I admire that.

Keep it up, Chip
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 18:26

Ayup, thanks, i'll be sure to make the adjustments. I also do try to eat as many fresh veggies as possible. In fact, I think i'm going to go have a salad right now...