Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-15, 11:45

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagehill
LOL, I'll bet! Yeah, "safe starches" definitely need to be consumed low-fat to be safe. lol

<sigh> And they taste so good with fat. I'm doing okay with my fat-free potatoes but confess I really love them with butter and sour cream and grated cheese...

It makes me thing of the Montignac diet though. Wasn't his philosophy that you could have either carbs or fats, but not at the same meal?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-15, 19:42
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Potato Hack experiment is over and it was a total BUST for me. All I seem to have gained is hunger and 2 lbs. Sigh. I had high hopes and I'm glad potatoes aren't that expensive. I actually like potatoes and miss eating them when LCHF.

Actually, it wasn't a complete bust, as the two fingers which hurt the most to bend when I first wake up in the morning, didn't hurt while I was eating the potatoes.

Next n=1 started this morning with 1 tsp Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch in a cup of water. I plan to resume BG testing to see if it helps BG and maybe keeps the arthritis under control.

Back to trying to resume ketosis.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-15, 06:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Potato Hack experiment is over and it was a total BUST for me. All I seem to have gained is hunger and 2 lbs. Sigh. I had high hopes and I'm glad potatoes aren't that expensive. I actually like potatoes and miss eating them when LCHF.
Sorry it didn't work for you Glenda. I'm still seeing weight loss with it, down another 1.2 pounds today, and better BG readings, so that is keeping me motivated even when the potatoes start to seem a bit boring as they were yesterday afternoon.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-15, 06:21

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Actually, it wasn't a complete bust, as the two fingers which hurt the most to bend when I first wake up in the morning, didn't hurt while I was eating the potatoes.

I wonder if that is because you have eliminated a food which is causing the problem? Maybe add foods in one at a time as you get back into ketosis?
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-15, 06:27

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Finished my 5 day PH with 7 pounds gone. I did add some 0 fat protein in the last 2 days.

Main thing I am now interested in is what my weight will look like tomorrow morning - will I maintain, blow up like a balloon, or still go down a little more? Today I will be eating normal lc Atkins though still lower on fat so as to not send my body completely into shock. Will see how the transition goes.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-15, 06:31
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I wonder if that is because you have eliminated a food which is causing the problem? Maybe add foods in one at a time as you get back into ketosis?
That's an idea. Don't want my arthritis to hijack the thread, just wanted to put in my n=1 results on the hack. Teaser gave me some input on my journal-side which I'm pursuing.

I'm happy for all who had good results with PH. Now, just got to make that painful journey back into ketosis. Sigh.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-15, 06:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marieshops
Finished my 5 day PH with 7 pounds gone. I did add some 0 fat protein in the last 2 days

Wow. Congrats on the 7 pounds lost! Please let us know how you do on transitioning back to LCHF. Since I have so much to lose and have been stalled for so many years I hope to continue with the PH for a while longer, like Jenny's plan of 5-day PH and 2-day LC weekends.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-15, 08:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow... 7 pounds is amazing. I've been on it 3 days and have only lost 2. I really struggled the first 2 days though, probably ate too many potatoes.

Trying to figure out how to transition back to LC this weekend.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-15, 08:40
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Wow... 7 pounds is amazing. I've been on it 3 days and have only lost 2. I really struggled the first 2 days though, probably ate too many potatoes.

Trying to figure out how to transition back to LC this weekend.
For me there was no transition, just the pain of trying to get back into ketosis.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-15, 11:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I was figuring to do a day of low fat/low carb. Or at least, "lower fat". Maybe lots of salad and tuna.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Oct-31-15, 05:18

2 days since finished the PH and weight has just wiggled up and down about half a pound. That is better than I thought would happen - I was prepared to go up at least a pound or two.

I haven't gone all the way back to my normal lc. Still making the transition because my stomach just doesn't seem happy to have anything very heavy with much protein and fat. Today will be more primal with carbs still higher but from whole food veggies and lower protein and fat with just some small portions of lean meat.

I'm not sure what made the weight change with the PH for me. The way I did it had me restricting calories a lot along with if by going 14 to 16 hours without eating each night. Made me remember why Atkins was so easy for me in the past - eat when hungry and don't skip meals! That said, I think my body had just gotten so comfortable eating the same way for years that the PH was a major shake up resulting in the weight loss.

I'm interested in how everyone else moves back to their regular plan.
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Oct-31-15, 06:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Just a side note: my own digestive difficulties were handled amazingly well with Betaine HCL: seems to really ramp up protein handling in particular. I have trained my stomach with its help, but still keep it handy.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Oct-31-15, 06:12

BF:

I'm still hoping to do LC weekends but more PH during the week. I'm not quite sure what I will eat this weekend, but did just add a small splash of half and half to my morning coffee after two weeks of having it black! I will have my second cup black though, don't want to overdo.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-15, 10:03

Back down from that little 1/2 pound wiggle.

I seem to feel the best overall staying in a modified PH. Instead of no fat and minimal protein, I have transitioned into low fat, moderate protein, and high (for me, not the real world) carbs. Calories are still low which is helping with the weight I am sure.

One positive with this for me is that I wasn't a big fan of white potatoes and never missed them when lc. That kept me from eating too many during this experiment. It is also a very cheap way to eat.

I plan on keeping to this modified version as my body settles back and then move the rest of the way to my Atkins/primal/lowcarb wol. To put it in perspective, yesterday my protein was under 60 g, fat under 20g, and carbs under 100. Today will be similar. Another reason I think the PH worked so quickly for me is that I had gained the extra 10 pounds by eating very lc, just too much of it. When we were stuck inside for days with all roads closed with flooding I ate LOTS of nice fatty meats and was liberal with my butter and olive oil. Since the extra weight came from fat and protein, cutting those back hard might have been the perfect shake up for me.

Good luck to everyone else and looking forward to more input and N=1 info.
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-15, 11:05

Question - are most of you cooking the potatoes and refrigerating to eat the next day to get the most resistant starch or are you just cooking and eating?