Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 09:17

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default D,L-Phenylalanine

had any tried or been advised to try this? Or know of anyone who did and found any relief from fibro/CFS symptoms or depression?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 10:03

Default Here is some information....

another user is on the "supplement" forum. She is using it for appetite suppression.

The putative analgesic activity of DL-phenylalanine may be explained by the possible blockage by D-phenylalanine of enkephalin degradation by the enzyme carboxypeptidase A.

The mechanism of DL-phenylalanine's putative antidepressant activity may be accounted for by the precursor role of L-phenylalanine in the synthesis of the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and dopamine. Elevated brain norepinephrine and dopamine levels are thought to be associated with antidepressant effects
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 11:30

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I read that high doses of this can cause hemorages...so be careful.

Years ago I took "brain pills" (contains d & L phen) while in college, and I retained everything I heard, didnt study at all and I had an a-b average. The strangest thing about it was it gave me "out of body" like dream experiences. No drugs involved.

I believe it is used (or was used) in dexetrim as an appetite suppressant and it does work well, but it makes you feel mean in these doses.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 12:54

It didn't even take a high dose to make me feel mean...I stopped trying it after a few days. I was waking in the morning ready to whip someone's ***, and I didn't even care whose it was!