Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 21:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Unhappy Depression and destroying your body

Maybe I should not be posting here, but I guess its somewhat low carb related.

I have become extremely depressed with thoughts of suicide. Just broke up with boyfriend of 6 years. Actually he left me. I am so depressed my appetite has vanished. I know I'm just destroying my body and metabolism. I can barely put down the few tablepoons of oil I have been eating. So I guess I'm looking for any words of wisdom. How do I force myself to eating again to a healthy Atkins way of eating? Oh, and I'm also taking ephedra, if that wasnt bad enough, and have become re addicted to vicodin.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 21:39
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi am....
I am VERY sorry to hear about your situation. It is all very unfortunate and sounds like you are in the middle of a big mess.

FIRST: Get to your DOCTOR....PLEASE! Explain your situation...and let them offer you the help you need. You have "extra's" with the drugs etc that really need his advice. You really don't have much weight to lose...and I have a LEG that weighs more then you!!! So weight is not so much an issue for you....DEPRESSION IS...and I IMPLORE you to GET TO THE DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY. Suicide is NOT a solution to ANY problem...it only hurts the people you leave behind. Besides...no-one is worth THAT. And, BEFORE YOU WOULD EVEN CONSIDER SOMETHING THAT DRASTIC...there are BANKS you could rob, and go on GREAT vacations! What the hell...if you are considering suicide, jail would be a breeze! LOL! Seriously...see the DOCTOR!

Second: Take a look at atkins foods listings...accecptable foods etc...and EAT THEM! Please make sure you eat the correct foods and enough of them!

Third: Keep up the water...will HELP!

Fourth: EXERCISE the heartache away! This is a GREAT time for you to really get INVOLVED with yourself! FOCUS on YOU! For the first time in six years you can dedicate yourself to YOU!

Only time makes heartache easier...in the meantime, you should focus on YOU, your health...your mental state will get better with eating right and exercise in ways that will help you feel great.

I wish I had more to "give you"...but this is all I can think of. See the DOCTOR...EAT RIGHT....exercise...drink your water...and KEEP BUSY!
Best wishes to you:
Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 21:44.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 21:46

Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Thanks Jake! I dont think my doctor would like to hear I'm on Atkins, but anyway thank you for your words.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 21:50
Registered Member

BF:

I don't care if your doc like atkins or not...you have bigger issues then that...and your doctor WILL HELP YOU. Don't look for reasons to NOT see him...just get your skinny little ass over there and see him RIGHT AWAY. Get back on track...and do it under a doc's supervision...and do it NOW.

I don't care if the doc takes you off atkins...off ephedra...etc...better to be HAPPY and 14 pounds overweight then how you feel right now.

JUST DO IT....and do it NOW.
Best wishes;
Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 21:51.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 22:01

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I know it seems horrible right now, but I promise it does get better. Not over night but as time goes on it gets easier and easier. Right now focus on taking care of yourself. If you had even a remote thought of suicide please tell your doctor, you may need medicine to get you through this time, just for a little while. Do something about it now before it gets worse.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 22:05
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 225/210/125 Female 61
BF:40
Progress: 15%

From one recovering depressed addict to another I implore you obtain help from someone you trust. Someone close to you like a personal friend, mother brother or sponser.

Shit happens and now you must pick yourself up and take it one day at a time, maybe one minute at a time. Please take your time to over come your loss. It means taking baby steps. Take this time by yourself to do some soul searching, in order to do that you need your strength.

Eat little at a time so you don't make yourself ill, seek medical attention. It gets easier, don't medicate yourself...allow yourself to feel the hurt and it will pass.

Drink lots of water!

Take care of yourself.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 22:07
Registered Member

Plan: my own design
Stats: 258/189/205 Male 6' 3"
BF:?/12%/15%
Progress: 130%

You have had a loss and it is normal and healthy that you need a period of mourning. The best ways to get rid of depression is exercise, sex, sunshine and supportive friends.

Suicide is a stupid idea. While depressed your brain makes irrational conclusions, don't listen to it.

Last edited by caveman : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 22:17.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 22:11

Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

Most of us have lost someone we love, or to put it bluntly, been dumped. It's just part of the learning curve as a human being. Don't let one breakup destroy you physically and emotionally, there are LOTS of poeple 'out there' to love, and who will love you.

As Jake said, Get yourself to a doctor, you need to be off the ephedra and the codeine,you'll feel better. Please let us know how you are .
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 22:49

Stats: 257/215/210
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hey, if this clown isn't smart enough to maintain your relationship why would you want him around????

Been through this before, it takes a few days to realize its probably one of the best things that ever happened to you.

About the time you go on maintenance he'll be sniffing around again and you (or your new SO) can slam the door in his face.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 22:56
Registered Member

BF:

California SUICIDE and CRISIS HOTLINES WEBSITE:

http://suicidehotlines.com/california.html

PLEASE go there and check it out. GOOD info...and phone number to call....

1-800-SUICIDE
1-800-784-2433
Toll-Free in the U.S.
24 hours / 7 days

VERY best wishes;
Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 22:58.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 22:58
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Amtuamor,

Yes, I have to agree, please see your doctor and explain to him how you are feeling.

Put Atkins completely to the side. Your doctor needs to know that you are severely depressed - your diet is nowhere near as important as your suicidal feelings. I'm sure you'll find your doctor will be way more interested in your depression than your eating habits.

It is very normal and natural to lose your appetite in times of heartache. Don't worry, it will return in good time. Just try to snack a little when you can.

And please remember too - you have many friends here who care about you.

Don't make any more excuses: pick up that phone and make an appointment to see your doctor as soon as possible! It is not just a good idea, it is ESSENTIAL! Your mental and emotional health is every bit as important as your physical well being.

And don't forget to keep us informed of your progress.

Rosebud
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 23:44
Registered Member

Stats: 267/256/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

The ephedra will mess with you!!

I used to pop 6 Metabolife every morning with my 32 oz of coffee....
Besides being a raging BITCH, my lows were very low...
It's tough to get off, you'll be drained for a while, but you need
to get your mind cleared...and you need to eat!!

God Bless
Dana
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 00:07

Stats: 300/291.5/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Oh please do get help. I got addicted to vicodin after I burnt my arm and it screws you up big time. Flush them down the toilet! Its the only way! It really feels much better than falling asleep in the bathroom. It makes your depression much worse! Take care and keep on posting
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 02:22

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

amtuamor22 how are you doing?

You must go and see the Dr and you must go NOW. I live with a chronic depressive and believe me, your feelings are no joke. They need to be addressed and they need to be addressed as soon as you can.

Put your Atkins to one side. If all you're taking in is a few tbs of OIL then no wonder you are throwing up.

Suicidal thoughts will rule you rlife until you get yourself checked out. You have to have the willpower to carry on and quite frankly, having been there myself, being dumped is no reason to kill yourself but if you are suffering from major depression nothing else will seem more appealing than that.

Get to a Dr as soon as you can, get yourself into therapy or see a good grief counsellor.

You have lost a partner, therefore you will grieve. You need help, not more medication. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get yourself some help. You're worth it!!!

KEEP POSTING OR WE'LL WORRY LIKE MAD!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 02:29

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Pick up the phone RIGHT NOW and call one of the numbers Jake posted, tell them how you're feeling and get some live one on one support, when you're through call for a doctors appointment, tell them it's URGENT and you have to get an appointment for this morning, tell your doctor everything, don't hold anything back because he/she may dissaprove, let them help you.

As for the diet, don't worry about it right now, try and get some LC nibbles inside you - have you got a good friend you can make a date with tonight and go out for a really nice meal and gossip together?

My advice for the ex - if he sees you walking around with your head down feeling miserable, he's 'won', just think how he's going to feel in a short while when you beat this depression and addiction and you're walking down the street feeling amazing and looking fabulous and all the guys are checking you out.

Stay strong, stay well, stay healthy - we care about you.