Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#316   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-07, 21:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/129/125 Female almost 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 60%
Default peanut butter

I want to make a peanut butter cheesecake, and I'm not very daring in the kitchen, so anybody got any suggestions ?

Would I use the basic recipe ?
Possibly omit the vanilla ?
Possibly reduce the 1.5 cups sour cream ?

Add 3/4 c peanut butter ?

THANKS
Sponsored Links
  #317   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-07, 08:43

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 211/200/140 Female 5 feet three inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
I want to make a peanut butter cheesecake, and I'm not very daring in the kitchen, so anybody got any suggestions ?

Would I use the basic recipe ?
Possibly omit the vanilla ?
Possibly reduce the 1.5 cups sour cream ?

Add 3/4 c peanut butter ?

THANKS

Hmm...I'd say use the basic recipe and mix in the PB ( softened? melted? ) with a cupful of batter to make it a PB swirl.....I'd leave everything else the same. Anyone else have any suggestions?

You can top it with SF grape or strawberry jam or even do a double swirl ( one PB, one Jam ) to make a PB & J cheesecake......OMG that sounds so good....to me anyway
  #318   ^
Old Sat, May-05-07, 17:21

Stats: 207/186/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 34%

We are heading out this next weekend for our first camping trip of the season. If I was to make and freeze it, do you think it will thaw properly in the cooler on the way there?

Thanks for any tips you can offer.
  #319   ^
Old Sat, May-05-07, 19:23
Living LC 4 Life

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 190/133.2/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Less Than B4 LC
Progress: 142%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bafmrf
We are heading out this next weekend for our first camping trip of the season. If I was to make and freeze it, do you think it will thaw properly in the cooler on the way there?

I've never tried freezing it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.....
  #320   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 10:41
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I made the original recipe, from page 1 of this thread, in a 1/2 recipe in a small springform pan...it chilled for 24 hours.

Very very nice! A keeper recipe, for sure.

I'm very picky about my cheesecakes not browning or cracking, so I have finally solved that issue by baking all my cheesecakes at 300 degrees (no matter what the recipe says), using an oven thermometer for accuracy. No browning, no cracking.

Now to start reading through the thread for variations... <sigh>

#321   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bafmrf

I did a search for "freeze" on this thread and came up with several posts that said freezing was fine. I'm sure it will thaw just fine in the cooler. I would wrap freeze, store and transport it on a hard surface, like cardboard covered with waxed paper taped underneath so it won't fall apart from not sitting flat.
  #322   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 09:37
Registered Member

Stats: 156/151.8/126 Female 5 Feet 1 Inch
BF:
Progress: 14%

Could someone tell me the cup measurements in grams please?

Also, I have some kind of liquid vanilla - do I still put 2 tsp in or do I use a smaller amount?

Thanks

Laura
  #323   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 01:51
Registered Member

Plan: LC, IF
Stats: 153.5/139/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%
Talking This cheesecake is ett stort fel!

And absolutely wonderful!! Here in Sweden it is Midsommar today....the biggest celebration (of the summer solstice) outside of Christmas.

I decided, yesterday, to add this American favorite to our traditional foods this year. Wow, my hubby and I both loved it and I took the advice of several on the board and froze most of it. The rest we ate for breakfast with fresh sliced strawberries!!

I had other food to get into the oven and there was no way I could leave the cheesecake in to cool. I took it out and set it on the back of the stove where it would cool very slowly and covered it with a towel. It didn´t crack, dry out or get too "wet". Then I refrigerated it until this morning. I also used the pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven with the ch.cake sitting directly above and baked it low in the oven.

I also prebaked my crust (1/2 c. gr. cracker crumbs, 1 c. ground almonds, 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut, 1/4 c. melted butter) at 175 C. for about 12-14 min. Nice texture....not crisp and not at all soggy.

Thanks so much, Bawdy, for the recipe!!

GLAD MIDSOMMAR PÅ ER ALLIHOP!!
  #324   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 03:55

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Wow! I'm famous in Sweden! Glad to know it was a hit.

GLAD MIDSOMMAR PÅ ER ALLIHOP right back at ya!
  #325   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-07, 11:29

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

It's all your fault, I just put one in the oven Boy, this thread started in 2004!! You ARE famous BW.
  #326   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 10:18

Plan: fat, fat, fat
Stats: 225/212/160 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Well, Bawdy, I finally got around to making your cheesecake. LOL I have no idea why I took so blasted long to indulge, but it certainly won't be years before I make another.

I made it crustless, in a ceramic pie dish I'd wiped with coconut oil. I used the French Vanilla Da Vinci syrup, 2 ts. of good Madagascar vanilla, and added a ts of vanilla bean paste. We ate the fist "slices" scooped out into little dessert dishes and eaten like a thick mousse, basically. Wonderful!

Yesterday I made another old recipe that was new to me -- the Revolution Rolls, made with 1 1/2 Tb mayo. They turned out great, and this morning I decided to see if "two great tastes could taste great together," as the old commercial said -- I took one of the rolls and schmeared it liberally with some of your vanilla cheesecake, then dusted it all with some good Vietnamese cinnamon. Such a marvelous treat along with my mug of cinnamon tea with Splenda and cream this morning! My son and husband, by the way, were thrilled to death with your cheesecake, and thought the rolls were an odd but pleasant snack, but are now convinced I'm brilliant for combining the two. LOL

So, thanks for such a great recipe! It really is a keeper. <g>

Lene'
  #327   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 22:10

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%
Default Profiteroles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lené
Well, Bawdy, I finally got around to making your cheesecake. LOL I have no idea why I took so blasted long to indulge, but it certainly won't be years before I make another.

I made it crustless, in a ceramic pie dish I'd wiped with coconut oil. I used the French Vanilla Da Vinci syrup, 2 ts. of good Madagascar vanilla, and added a ts of vanilla bean paste. We ate the fist "slices" scooped out into little dessert dishes and eaten like a thick mousse, basically. Wonderful!

Yesterday I made another old recipe that was new to me -- the Revolution Rolls, made with 1 1/2 Tb mayo. They turned out great, and this morning I decided to see if "two great tastes could taste great together," as the old commercial said -- I took one of the rolls and schmeared it liberally with some of your vanilla cheesecake, then dusted it all with some good Vietnamese cinnamon.

I bet if you made some rev. rolls a bit smaller, say two-bite sized, you could cut them in half and stuff them with the filling, then mix some powdered sugar substitute with cinnamon and sift them over the top. Profiteroles!

#328   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 22:18

BF:

Perfect!

Lene'
  #329   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-07, 04:31

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm in the presence of genius!

I've always wondered about Revolution Rolls, but have never tried them. They're really that good?

I've been LCing since 1998 (sometimes more serious, sometimes less), and find the one thing I really miss is crunch. Not a real fan of pork rinds. I'm looking for more of a cracker. And dinner rolls would be nice from time to time, too. When I get those urges, I usually just go for the original (high-carb) source, though that's a pretty dumb solution.

Looks like this weekend I'll be spending scrounging around the Recipe Room looking for ideas.

Anyway, glad you liked the recipe!
  #330   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-07, 08:08

BF:

The Rev Rolls aren't crisp like regular bread, and they really didn't taste like "bread" to me but were good enough in their own way. The cheesecake topping really made for a nice Danish-effect, though, and it went well with a cup of coffee or tea.

I've also been playing with making the microwave bread using ground golden flax and ground hazelnut flour, and I think this would be good topped with the cheesecake, too. Heh, cheesecake can improve darn near anything!

I need to figure out a good crunchy crackery type thing, too -- my son and hubby both crave that a lot, and I'd like them to have a lowcarb option. (I was tickled to discover yesterday that my son has lost 30 pounds from his highest point a couple years ago! I could tell he has been slimming down, but he's a big kid -- 210 now -- and wears big, baggy shirts, so I wasn't sure just how much he'd lost until he stepped on the scale yesterday while I was weighing myself. Now, to keep making good lowcarb choices he'll want to eat!)

I wonder if mixing ground nuts (not nut flour, but finely ground nuts) and a little flax meal and egg white and seasonings like cayenne pepper and salt would make a mixture that would stay crispy? Maybe I'll have to give that a try.

Lene'