Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 22:32
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Good job!! Asparagus is a natural diuretic so if you are retaining water, it'll help your body to get rid of it.

SB is not ketogenic.....it is a balanced low/controlled carb approach to weight loss and it has enabled me to learn how to eat in a way that works for my body. I don't have metaboliic issues but I am 57 yrs old so age is not on my side. I restrict grains and that seems to work for me even though the plan pushes them...I'm a rebel!!

I like to get full from my veggies as it helps me to not overeat on other calorie laden foods, even protein. I can overeat just about anything!! Just call me Miss Piggy!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 00:02
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks Judy and you are not a miss piggy! My metabolism alwasy was the problem was borderline for medications forever until atkins. ihad the weight off for 10 yrs and regained 70 when I moved here the first year.
My problem is that I rarely am hungry but I will eat bread in any form. I am so carb sensitive.I can't go near grains.Trigger food.
That is why I will make oopsiesonly once a month. Too close to bread stuff for me. It isn't the best thing to tease my brain!
And I'm turning 62 in August so I understand the added disadvantages
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 05:15

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I think I lose better eating veggies. I was just in another friend's journal and she was saying how the different diets affect us differently. Some people complain of hair loss and dryness, other's that their skin and hair has never been better. So I think we have to really pay attention to find out what does work best for each of us. I know for sure eating 2000+ calories doesn't work well for me. I hope today I won't do that again. Judy I'm like you....I can overeat anything too. And during PMS....I generally do.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 08:06
Attitude is a Choice

Cricket! You look great!! I hope my skin looks half as good as yours does in 5 yrs.

On the bread thing...its a tough one as I too, am a flour abuser and have used it in the past to calm and numb myself. I now eat it once in a while as a treat, once a month acutally!! Its highly addictive! I also do not eat wheat.

Gala! You are still getting regular TOMs? I haven't had one in about 3 yrs now.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 08:17
Registered Member

BF:

Hi folks. Galatia & Judy, last night I had that stemed asparagus, one small portion of meat. Today I weigh 2.6 pounds more! That is the sme thing that happened the lst time I had asparagus. The food isn't passing through at all. I will up my water and fats. See if that helps. Does the coconut oil really do something?
I'll be off this thing for a bit after tonight and don't know when I will be checking in on it. depends on my daughter's computer!
Be well everyone. Thanks for being here for me!!!
TY Judy... I am blessed with a younger look. Never had a pimple either! My kids are the same. my folks always looked much younger.My only advice is don't use chemicals on your face.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 08:26
Attitude is a Choice

FYI- you really can't look at just your previous day's food to see why you gained on the scale. You need to look at the past 3-4 days.

If you do not take a fiber supplement, maybe you need to? I take psyllium fiber twice a day...it helps a lot!!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 12:28

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Judy, I had one missed period! In December....I got my hopes all up....but then in January it was back to being regular again. I know menopause is not desirable... I'm ready to get this part of life over with. Mostly on account of the tumor that I'm hoping goes with the onset of menopause.

O.K. Cricket...no chemicals....what do you use? You must answer this before you leave. I hope you have a nice visit with your DD. And I hope everything goes really well, and she recovers quickly.

Judy, I use Psyllium Husks about every other day. Love it!
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 13:17
Registered Member

BF:

Hi gals I have used psyllium. didn't find it worked that well...am using the Benefiber which is so much nicer to use! amazing and it does work as afar as bulking goes... my problem isn't as much as UMMM.... consistency ( tactful?) as it is movement! If I have a big meal for breakfast I can get going but I feel awful when I do eat a lot. Today I had 2 mugs of coffee, 1 cup heavy cream between the coffe and scarmbled eggs and 2 tsp. fiber.... worked FAST. now I have heart burn from the coffee and feel so full from all the food. As for the menue, all I can say is that for 4 months I have eaten only atkins induction foods and have never gone over 20 carbs. I will give higher fats a serious go in Chicago. maybe my daughter will also get off the last few pounds with that too.
Skin care secrets??LMAO..are you really ready?
I don't use soap or detergents on my face and never did. I use warm water and a soft wash cloth gently... if grungy I use Cetaphil moisturizer..wipe on, rinse off, pat dry. That is it. I don't use sunblockers or screens. I drive a convertible and live in the South. I mow 25 acres and get dusty and grungy a lot in the growing months. and my really secret weapon is my genes!
My parents were both the babies of their families... they all lived inot the 100s on my dad's side. He went early from pneumonia 3 years ago at 98. They were married just shy of 73 years and my mom refused to live without him so she died 13 days later at age 96. They danced a few months prior!
And being happy sure don't hurt!
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 21:59

Plan: Control Carb-own program
Stats: 188/163/125 Female 5ft  3.5 inches
BF:?
Progress: 40%

Hi everyone, well Happy St Pattys Day to you. I'm not Irish but at least I wore green today. Well as far as constipation is concerned, I have found, as long as I take my Magnesium supplement and vitamin c it seems to help.It needs to be at least 1000 mgs. When I first started this I had to take a stool softener to soften the stool, I don't seem to have to do that now. I thought I was going to be in for a rough time after I was taken off HRT. But I seem to have found the right combination of supplements to help with my hot flashes. I don't think anything helps night sweats though. Is anyone going to do anything special for Easter? We have a sunrise service then breakfast at church. Then one of the girls plans to have dinner, they just cannot decide who(LOL). Well the weather was interesting today. This morning was cold and wet, and this afternoon was sunny and wet. Hope everyone has a great evening. Judy
  #40   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 16:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

May I join you here. I am new to the board here and was looking through the board and found you who are more my age. I am 62.
I am new to low carb and trying to lose my weight. I am up to any hints and suggestions you may have that will help me.
My husband does most the cooking now because I have some health problems and cannot stand for to long but he is a great cook though. We both need to lose so I am putting him on low carb with me...He just doesn't know it yet,(ha ha ha)
  #41   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 06:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi all, I haven't been around much lately. Probably because I fell off the wagon and have been in denial and ridden with guilt. I don't know why but I only gained one pound during my sugarholic binge.
What happened is that devil in my head said to me "You have done so well for so long you deserve a reward. One candy bar isn't going to hurt." In less than a week I had a stash of 4 dark chocolate Milky Way bars and 2 Butterfinger bars in my nightstand draw. Talk about an addict!!!
When I realized I was totally out of control, I threw it all in the garbage and went cold turkey. Thank God I am now back on track.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 07:23

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello ladies

Just checking in: 50 yrs old, going through hormone hell.
Hot flushes, floods, memory loss, you know the drill.

Blah!

neo_crone
  #43   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 08:06

Plan: berstein
Stats: 204/179/130 Female 1.55
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone new to this and I'm 52 soon to be 53 hoping to pick up some tips from you all
  #44   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: my own/semi low carb
Stats: 153/151/127 Female 64 inches
BF:u bet!
Progress: 8%
Cool

Good morning!

I am55. That's a milestone here. It means I can get senior discounts when shopping or renting---as long as I can prove I'm 55. But how nice to have someone demand proof of age---it means ya don't look it!

I love this whole low carb forum---in addition to the over-50's. I have learned so much from everyone!

I live in Tucson. May is a gorgeous month here: sunny, breezy, temps in the mid-to-upper 80's (a dry heat.) Everything is blooming now. Beautiful!

I have 2 furry children: A midget kitty not quite 1 year old and a behemoth cat about 9 years old. One weighs maybe 9-1/2 pounds, the other almost twice that.

Low carbing has helped me change my eating for health reasons---I learned on these forums and on links provided by our terriffic forum members all about hypothyroidism (common in women over 50) and about foods to eat/avoid in general if one wishes to stay healthy. Currently, eating a lot more dietary fat seems to be helping! The right kinds of fat: Virgin coconut oil, olive oil, butter, and fats from meats, fish, poultry.

I hope you are having a pleasant day wherever you are.
Best regards to all---stay in touch!
  #45   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 12:43
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by respira
Hi all, I haven't been around much lately. Probably because I fell off the wagon and have been in denial and ridden with guilt. I don't know why but I only gained one pound during my sugarholic binge.
What happened is that devil in my head said to me "You have done so well for so long you deserve a reward. One candy bar isn't going to hurt." In less than a week I had a stash of 4 dark chocolate Milky Way bars and 2 Butterfinger bars in my nightstand draw. Talk about an addict!!!
When I realized I was totally out of control, I threw it all in the garbage and went cold turkey. Thank God I am now back on track.

Good job on getting yourself back on track Patrice!!

FWIW, I now enjoy a small amount of 85% dark chocolate in the evenings. I feel that having a low sugar sweet treat does keep away the cravings for the crappy but yummy sweet that you ended up eating.