Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 19:52
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 230/200/120
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question BBQ Turkey?

Some time ago a co-worker told how to cook a turkey on a BBQ using indirect heat. My memory is failing and I can't remember the specifics. Has anyone else done this?

Having the turkey outside would free up my oven. I am having 14 for dinner and I have a small kitchen. I would also hate to botch the meal for my family.

Help please...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 20:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Susan,not sure about a *whole* turkey, but I cook my chicken breasts on the BBQ using an indirect method:

Sear both sides on high for 2 minutes (each side 2 minutes)
then I put the chicken on one burner and turn it off, close the lid and let cook for about 10 - 12 minutes. You get a juicy, moist breast with the grill marks.

I would imagine that if you had a roasting pan and a meat thermometre you could manage, but it would take a while. We have done pork loin that way and it comes out perfect. With the thermometre there's no guess work.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 21:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default turkey

Susan, was years I was one of those people who thought everything had to go from the stove right to the table to taste the best.

Over the years I seen others prepare their turkeys the day before or in the morning before dinner. I understand what you say about tieing up the oven, as I'm usually wanting to bake pie or something when the turkey should be roasting.

Now, if you're someone who loves to bring the turkey to the table to carve, you won't like this idea.

My Sweetie's parents (in their 70's), always have the turkey cooked, sliced, deboned and the mess put away when we'll arrive for dinner. The turkey can be just warmed up in the oven on a plate or in your microwave. We all know that turkey dinner the next day is often better than the day you make it.

For me, being alone I've also done this as well and it sure does help get the meal on the table as I'm not rushing around doing so many things at the last minute.