Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 14:49

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default How does lifting weights and running influance Atkins?

How does lifting weights and running influnce my Atkins?

I'm going to a gym 3 times a week, for 20 years now (and yes, during those years I've gained all my weight - but, I didnt gave up on "my" gym ) for the last 2 years Im running outside, for an hour or two, 5 times a week. During the running , I lost 35 pounds. then someone told me about Atkins, I got his book and doing it for 5 weeks.
On my first 2 weeks, I felt totally out of shape and out of energy, but finally, it started to come back and I can run more and my egergy is back.
I cant see any "new" numbers only the "old" ones, up and down between
195-190....
Any advise or explanation ?....I thank you all a lot!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 14:58

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Exercise

Good for you in your gym and running for the past 2 years. Although you may have put weight on over that time your muscles should be well toned.

Your experience in loosing energy when you started low carbing is usual as your body changes over from being a sugar burning to a fat burning machine. Glad that the energy has now come back and you should find that you will soon be back at your old standard. I go to the gym and have continued to improve over the last 6 months.

So, when you were on Atkins induction you did not loose any weight. This does happen to some people, however, hang on in there and you should be rewarded. As you do all this exercise I would recommend that you immediately increase your carbs to around 30 - 40 g a day. With all the exercise you do you will need more carbs. Also, are you eating enough calories. You should be eating between 10 and 12 times your body weight in calories. If you have not already found it, you might find fitday helpful for keeping track of carbs an calories.

You might want to start a journal and gym log to keep track of your low carb journey.

Every success.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 15:58

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thank you so so much for your incuoragement.
I was very strik with the 20 , and thought to myself to keep going like this, till Ill drop some pounds.
I also found that, some times after long run, I feel like some kind of vometing feeling, like I don't feel well. Im doing usully my running early in the morning on empty stomak. BUT, never befor this happen to me. its only started since Ive change to this diet....any advise ?
(happen yestrday after running 1 hour and doing my gym for 45 min)

.......I also need to addmit something..........
.......I find myself sometimes craving "wipped cream"(with splenda) eating from it till I feel good and relax... and that after a few tablespoons...its comme me down so much that I dont feel a need for anything later on....Is it a NO-NO for me?...please, dont take it away for me
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 23:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Picaboo,

Plain old whipping cream with Splenda is ok...

I made a strawberry shortcake type of dessert with it and it was yummy! And the sugar free jello makes a good parfait with it...all kinds of stuff if you ever get tired of just eating it on a spoon!

Since I've started karate classes, I've been nearly passed out during my lesson because I'm so dizzy, tired, whatever...I realized that I had to UP my carbs and eat about one hour beforehand. That really made the difference.

My muscles hurt now, which means I'm exerting myself now...which means there's energy in there!! Gotta eat when you're moving that much!

Good luck,

#5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 08:13
Registered Member

Plan: Free stylin
Stats: 182/161/150
BF:
Progress: 66%

I always eat a low fat - high carb yogurt as I walk to my karate class. 30g of carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 10:35
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 209/202/180
BF:18%
Progress: 24%
Talking gym and aerobics

I have been training with weights for a very long time to around 17 years now. The last year was wasted because of a lower back injury that i am still working on curing.

The gym with the weights or machine will in fact help you tone your physique, but one doesnt really go without the other, i was on a weightloss diet once and only trained with weights, i kept almost all my weight even if i was eating a good diet, wasnt aware of atkins at that time neither low carb.

One of the best ways you can maximize your weightloss is to do your aerobics in the morning and your weight training at night.

SO in the morning on an empty stomach when your in ketosis you will be burning a lot of fat, and at night around 6pm if you train with weights you will have some energy to train because you will have eaten during the day.

Weight training builds muscles to, so if the scale does go up or stays the same could mean that you have added some muscles and burned some fat.

I think that the best way to look at weightloss is the way your clothes fit on you and the mirror, the scale can really put someone down, i know i have expericence this.

I dont really have any recommendation for aerobics the more you can do the better, but dont over due it til you drop, the body will adapt but go at it slowly, for weight training i would say 3 times a week is more then enough, careful for injuries, when i get back at it i am gonna use machines and not weights.

There are big arguments about what builds better muscles free weights or machine well muscles are stupid they dont know if you lift 20 pounds or 300 pounds for that matter so has long has your forms are ok and you lift at a slow pace you should be getting great results.

I turned 30 years old in June of this year, have been training a bit like a powerlifter for more then 10 years, bench press, squats, deadlifts, and all the power moves, this got my great pain in the front shoulders both of them, pains in the knees, an injury to my pelvic, pain in the neck. This is not worth all the effort i put in.

But when i did train with machines i add a good physique well rounded.

Good luck
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 11:18
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Post My experience with dizziness

I used to eat a plain yogert with splenda before going to the gym in the morning but I would get dizzy and all near lunch time.
So I tried upping my carbs and it got worse.
But then I found if I drank my Atkins shake after an hour after going to the gym (meaning I work out with an empty stomach), I didn't get dizzy at all! I think its because your sugar is low when you wake up and if you are sensitive to carbs as I am, you make your sugar jump when you eat. So by not eating before my work out I was keeping my sugar stable. Its just a thought.
Keep up the work outs