Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 09:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you don't get enough sodium, you'll end up excreting potassium too. So first things first, get enough sodium then supplement potassium.

I wouldn't drink the V8 with low sodium because you need the sodium.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 09:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith v
Seriously??
Salt water?

That's what you use to make people vomit!

I love it......
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 10:55
Registered Member

Stats: 227/215/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

This is the best thread I have ever read in my life!
People had referred to me as a salt-oholic, so I have always tried to use spices instead of salt whenever I could.

I have been having leg problems that have been getting increasingly worse, and did just find that taking a potassium and magnesium/calcium supplement and lots of water helped considerably.
I didn't realize that salt made such a difference. Nancy, you mentioned it to me on the other (kidney scare)thread, but now that I am reading all the research, I can't believe the harm I have been doing to myself!
I just swallowed 1/2 tsp of salt and then a whole glass of water.. (eugh).
I take a potassium supplement by Jamieson. What dose is good?

I am curious though, what about all the iodine in table salt? Since you (Nancy) and I have no thyroid gland, how will the iodine effect us ?
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 11:49

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 268.8/242.4/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I started drinking a can of V8 every day. I love it, and when I saw the amount of potassium in it, it was a no brainer!
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 11:54
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneAlice
I am curious though, what about all the iodine in table salt? Since you (Nancy) and I have no thyroid gland, how will the iodine effect us ?

I doubt the iodine hurts anything. You just pee it out if your body can't use it. The only people it might hurt would be those with Hashimoto's, but there probably isn't that MUCH iodine in there, not like taking kelp supplements or the like.

Also, kosher salt is iodine free, I think.

Potassium supplements are very minute. Like 99mg when the RDA is about 4000mg. I'd suggest using salt substitute (which is potassium) or something like potassium gluconate/citrate powder and put it in something.

Don't get crazy though. You can kill yourself by over-doing potassium.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 12:03

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Don't get crazy though. You can kill yourself by over-doing potassium.

Are you serious? I figured if there was extra it would just be peed out.

There is a genetive disease in horses where the horses muscle does not accept the pottasium and the horse wastes away and dies. We have to have our pottasium!
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 12:36
Experimenter

BF:

Potassium is important, but too much and it can disrupt your heart beat. Probably something well over 4-5gm a day though.

That's why those potassium pills are so big yet have so little potassium in them. I guess they didn't want people to think "If a little is good, then a lot must be great!" and kill themselves. You'd have to take about 50 of those pills to meet the RDA.

There are always people out there looking to be nominated for the Darwin award.

Quote:
Orally, potassium chloride is toxic in excess; the LD50 is around 2.5 g/kg (meaning that a lethal dose for 50% of people weighing 75 kg (165 lb) is about 190 g (6.7 ounces)). Intravenously, this is reduced to just over 30 mg/kg,[13] but of more concern are its severe effects on the cardiac muscles: high doses can cause cardiac arrest and rapid death, thus the aforementioned use as the third and final drug delivered in the lethal injection process.

This goes for all potassium but probably different doses. Just... don't be stupid and you'll be fine.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 13:04

Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Potassium and salt

I take a potassium Gluconate supplement 550 mg which gives me 90 mg of potassium, basically worthless. I am going to stop it.

Today I started taking 1/2 tsp of No Salt (1.3g) x 2 = 2.6g per day. That, the 1/2 tsp of salt, and the magnesium, maybe no more cramps? I have them under control, no horrible. jump out of bed ones any more, just about 4am, slight ankle and foot cramps. We shall see.

I am also re-evaluating other suppliments as being not needed.

Nancy, so glad you are keeping this thread active.

Last edited by Aradasky : Tue, Oct-09-12 at 13:11.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 13:31

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

I too am a saltaholic, but about a year ago I switched to Baleine sea salt for cooking and seasoning. With my broths, however, I use Real Salt. Neither of them have iodine but I eat a lot of eggs and that takes care of that (I don't have any issues with my thyroid as far as I can tell). I got some VICIOUS cramps when I went VLC and tried to IF, but I'm VLCing right now with plenty of salt and so far so good.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 13:36

BF:

Quote:
thus the aforementioned use as the third and final drug delivered in the lethal injection process

Eww! I really didn't need to have that much info.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 16:19

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
That's why those potassium pills are so big yet have so little potassium in them. I guess they didn't want people to think "If a little is good, then a lot must be great!" and kill themselves. You'd have to take about 50 of those pills to meet the RDA.

I disagree, I think if you try to eat 4 grams of potassium you will find your self kneeling in the bathroom....

The RDA recommendation is 3500 grams a day, I'd bet you'd need to eat 10x that to have heart problems. Injecting directly into the blood stream is way different than eating it..

Drink V8...it's not that hard!
V8 has Sodium and Potassium like 500g per serving each.

I used to drink a can every couple of days..and I mean a 64 oz can, yes 1/2 gallon

Last edited by keith v : Tue, Oct-09-12 at 16:25.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 17:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith v
I disagree, I think if you try to eat 4 grams of potassium you will find your self kneeling in the bathroom....

The RDA recommendation is 3500 grams a day, I'd bet you'd need to eat 10x that to have heart problems. Injecting directly into the blood stream is way different than eating it..

Drink V8...it's not that hard!
V8 has Sodium and Potassium like 500g per serving each.

I used to drink a can every couple of days..and I mean a 64 oz can, yes 1/2 gallon

Sorry Keith, just as nasty, to me. I'll stick with my bouilan cubes and fake salt.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 19:42
Registered Member

Stats: 227/215/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I have just read that a deficiency in magnesium can cause a deficiency in potassium and calcium.
Much as low sodium causes the loss of the other minerals, next in line of importance is magnesium.
We need sodium, magnesium, potassium, calcium and vitamin D to be sufficient as they all work together. Otherwise, one will steal from the other.

Regarding too much iodine flushing out of your system on its own, I have not been able to find that confirmed anywhere.
The thyroid is the main recipient of iodine, but it also goes to the prostrate in men, and breasts in women and also distributed slightly to other organs.
An excess of iodine is definitely not safe for people with a thyroid gland, but I again cannot find anyone that addresses what a person with NO thyroid should do with it.. not even Mary Solomon.

keith.. I'm confused.. why do you say that 4 g of potassium would have you kneeling in the bathroom, but 3500 grams is the RDA?
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 20:11
Experimenter

BF:

Read up on the iodine loading test. They measure the amount of iodine you have in your body by how much you excrete when you take a large dose. Therefore, your body disposes of excess iodine by excreting it.
Quote:
keith.. I'm confused.. why do you say that 4 g of potassium would have you kneeling in the bathroom, but 3500 grams is the RDA?

Probably he means trying to take that much at once.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Oct-09-12, 20:23

BF:

When I got pottasium through an IV, it was really painful. I ended up refusing it, but the funny this was that I wasn't LCing when I got really sick. I got a blood bacteria from a surgery and everything was low. Nancy, my thyroid was a -12, I'm not kidding! They put me on everything they could to get me through it, the pottasium was the worst and I refused it, got pills after that. The bacteria, or my body fighting the bacteria used up everything I had and totally screwed with my system. My pottasium and other minerals were so low they put me through all kinds of extra meds, all due to an infection in my blood.

I read that high levels of pottasium through IV won't hurt you. It was painful though.