Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 14:21

Plan: ZC
Stats: 140/155/155 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm thinking of smoking in my weber gas grill by putting some soaked wood chips in an aluminum pan and sitting them in the corner of the grill. Anyone find success with this method?

My inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEKn...re=channel_page
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 13:09

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!

I can not see the YouTube (work bans it) but I can tell you I used a Weber for years before buying a smoker

what I did was just wrap the chips up in foil and poke holes in it for the smoke then use indirect heat

good luck and please let us know how it turned out
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Thanks, HiDelight! I've been enjoying it cold. I wish I could find the camera to take a picture for you - it looks so cool - little chunks of meat suspended in dark jelly.

One more question - are you supposed to remove the skin when you make head cheese? I'm not sure if it's actually skin, but there's a tough, crunchy "rind" on the outside of the feet. It resembles the cartilage on the end of chicken bones. I chopped it up and put it in, but I think it would have been better left out or ground more finely in a meat grinder.

phew I am glad you liked it! you are supposed to eat everything but the bone
I gross out my friends with my love of pigs feet

I adore crunchy chewy meats and parts of meat (I have been sick for a week and my appetite is really coming back!) omg this sounds gross but you made foot cheese
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 14:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmm... I was just thinking my weber charcoal grill would make a decent cold smoker, like the Alton Brown Flower pot smoker. I could just stick the hot plate in there with the chips in a pan on top, not use any charcoal and block off all the vents.

Good thing because my gardener broke my flower pot smoker.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 15:08

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDelight
omg this sounds gross but you made foot cheese

Scrapple is sometimes made from feet, isn't it?

It's amazing how much there is to learn about pigs. I remember a couple years ago we got some ham hocks and I didn't even know they were different from feet! I feel like I'm slowly putting together an anatomical diagram of a pig in my head. It was fascinating to pull off the toes as I ate them and visualize those little split hooves that pigs have...

I just saw a T-shirt with a picture of a pig. It has a little legend that says:

[blue] Parts of the pig that are delicious
[brown] Parts of the pig that are not delicious

The entire pig is blue, of course.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 08:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hey Capmikee,

I can remember when I was a wee lass when it was butchering day. My mom made homemade head cheese and in it went the heads that were boiled a very long time and the heads were picked clean and all the meat, tongue and skin (ears, cartilage and all) went into the head cheese. she would spice it highly and put it into the cleaned stomach and chill it and then slice it up......boy was it good. She made another lunch meat called souse that had left over nasty bits, organ meat and that was also highly spiced and packed into a stomach. She also made homemade scrapple and that always had liver in it. she would fry that up for breakfast or supper and we would eat it with syrup. She would pickle the feet (my old pa loved the feet) and he would say "we used every bit of old Grunt, except for the squeal". Gosh do I miss those days.

Nanci
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 08:48

Did the brains go in the head cheese or did you eat that separately?

Packing things into the stomach sounds like a good idea!
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 09:11

BF:

My mom didn't put the brains into her head cheese and souse. She always dipped them in egg and then in cracker meal and fried them in a skillet and served them for breakfast. I personally never like them when I was a kid as the grease in the skillet always got real foamy when she did them and I had a mental block about eating them as it just looked wrong.....ya know, like blue food. some things just shouldnt be.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 09:26

Did she press the brains?
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 09:52

BF:

she cut them in half and they kind of naturally flattened themselves. Another thing she did on butchering day was take all the chicken heads and boil them in salted water and then served them in a bowl with a pair of nut crackers. I never could eat them due to the gross out factor, but I can remember my dad and my gran and pappy sitting around on the back porch eating them like walnuts.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 10:27

Wow, I've never heard of that!
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-09, 13:09

Finally uploaded some photos.

This is some of my breakfast sausage laid out like cookies on freezer paper (it gets folded up, stuck in ziplock bags and frozen)

Here's some experimental lax in the loaf pan - salmon filet, salt, pepper, and spring greens because I didn't have any other fresh herbs. I figure any greens will provide plenty of potassium and nitrates.

Last edited by capmikee : Sat, Mar-28-09 at 13:58.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 21:27

I forgot to post the results of the gravlax. Cured with no sugar at all and they came out great! I'm not going to use sugar in cures for a while - it doesn't really seem necessary.

As you can see from the photo, I didn't make a huge quantity, but it was gone in about a week. My mom had some while she was visiting and then I polished it off on Friday. I ate mine with some parsley and taramosalata. The taramosalata is also salty, but also very lemony so it went well with the fish. The parsley cut the saltiness to a pleasant level. I dare say it was as good as carpaccio - and even more what I wanted at the time.
  #74   ^
Old Sat, May-09-09, 19:57

OMG I had to catch up that food sounds wonderful Cap!

I was putting some fresh pork bellies in brine and remembered this thread ..I wondered if anyone ever made some bacon and if so are you not convinced this is too easy and wonderful a low carb food NOT to do your own?

just checking

we had a grassfed steer butchered and took the liver home actually when the butcher saw we wanted the organs (we raw feed our dogs as well as eat just about anything ourselves)

So I have been asking around for ideas for the 4 GIANT beef livers I have..besides feed the dogs who adore me more than life itself right now!!!
I can not just fry it and eat it .. is too hard core texture wise for me that is for sure ..and I eat tripe so I love texture!

I am going to work on making my own pate (trying the recipe from the Charcuterie book) you want to try it ..why not just come get a lobe out of my freezer ok?

omg I have never in my life ...4 giant livers, 4 hearts, and a bunch of tails ...oh yeah and all those feet! some for our soup and some for the dogs
good thing I do not get grossed out easily ..but really this is
getting a bit overwhelming ...(my chickens love the liver as well they go into a barbaric frenzy over it! )

back to the topic.. love pate so I am going to give it a try and see .and if that goes well some liver sausage ..
.could not be fresher or healthier than this grass fed beauty was!

any ideas please share!

and no I am not eating it raw (not again anyway that was a dare and I had some beers)
  #75   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 11:08

Welcome back, HiDelight!

I made my biggest gravlax yet last week - I got tired of waiting for a dinner party so I thawed out a whole salmon just for the family. A quarter of it went in the cure and the rest was broiled. I used spicy salad greens instead of dill again - that works really well! Also no sugar, just salt and pepper.

I'm afraid I don't have any ideas for your liver - usually people eat calf's liver, not mature liver, don't they? You could try marinating it in lemon juice and frying it in bacon fat with salt and pepper - that's what I usually do. Rinse well and dry well before you fry it. But pate sounds like it has good potential.

I have a question - is most beef from steer? Steer is castrated, right? Do people eat cows or bulls? Is steer more tender?