Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 05:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/140/120
BF:
Progress: 17%
Unhappy What's it going to take???

I quit smoking when I met my Ex husband (because he didn't smoke) and stayed quit for 7 years. When we started going through a separation and ultimately divorce, I picked them back up. I have tossed so many packs out my car window (no, I don't normally litter but this was for a good cause lol) only to buy another pack that night or the next day. I usually talk myself into buying more because I'm stressed that day or I'll gain weight.

I have recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure and sleep apnea and smoking can only make both much worse. What is it going to take for me. a heart attack??? I so want to quit because it's so nasty and unattractive. I have tried the patch and gum and know they can help, but I just didn't give it enough time. Anyone have any advice as far as getting the motivation and keeping it???

Last edited by terri_ga : Wed, Jul-09-03 at 05:38.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 09:00

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Just keep going and trying! This is the best gift you can give YOURSELF. It is for you only. Hang in.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 09:18

Plan: Common Sense
Stats: 188/154.6/170 Male 67 inches
BF:?/12/10
Progress: 186%

I know a lot of people will keep something personal and inspirational to them in a wallet or purse, and then take it out and look at it when they want to smoke so that it reminds them of why they quit in the first place. If you're planning on taking a vaction any time soon you can always go on a non-smoking cruise, I've read about a few people who quit that way.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 19:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/141/135
BF:???
Progress: 60%
Wink lots of support!!!

hi terri! i know it's soooooooo hard to quit...i smoked for 4 years and got up to a pack and a half a day! do you have a 12 step meeting (nicotine anoymous) near you so that you can meet other people just like you who want to quit just as bad as you do? in my experience, other people helping me along the way (not to mention prayer and God) worked wonders. sympathy and understanding are the best! i also used the patch and it helped with the physical withdrawal symptoms. but as for the psychological addiction, which in my opinion is even harder to overcome than the physical, you need SUPPORT!!! if you want, you can keep in touch with me and i'll try to help you!!!

you did it before! you're even more capable now!!!

all my support and best wishes, Sara

here is the home website:
http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/
this page has a lot of tips and inspiration:
http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/publications.asp

Last edited by saara : Wed, Jul-09-03 at 19:23.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 21:11

Stats: 144/140/120
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thanks Saara and Brandon for your encouragement. I know I'll do it. I just have to get the right mind set.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 21:12

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: // Female --
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hiya, Terri.

I found tremendous support here:

www.quitnet.com

I went from being too afraid to try to quit my two packs a day habit of 30 years - to quitting for more than a year. Not one puff. Everyone is so different and even every attempt is different, but I promise, there is someone just exactly where you are now who did it, and you can too.

Don't give up.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 02:11

Stats: 210/181.8/135 Female 5ft5in
BF:
Progress: 38%
Smile

Hi, I recently quit my pack & 1/2 a day habit. I went cold turkey (no patch, no gum or anything), but I did take a week off of work and stayed at my boyfriend's house. For the first four days, all I did was sleep (just a couple of tylenol pm helped), and when I did wake up, I was in a different environment where I wasn't used to smoking - I think that helped a lot.

Anyway, now the nicotine cravings are totally gone and I'm just dealing with the habit and mental cravings. I've been using a plastic cigarette when I think I might give in - plus it has a minty flavoring in it that makes your mouth feel "full".

Well, that's my advice - go stay somewhere else for a while and hibernate till the physical cravings are finished - then tackle your brain!

Good luck,
Amber

Oh - and don't worry if you have to cheat on your lc plan once or twice - I had to eat pizza one night to keep myself from smoking, but I'm pretty sure the "cheat" was worth it!

Last edited by utrebma : Fri, Jul-11-03 at 02:13.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 06:12
Registered Member

Stats: 170/160/130 Female 5 Feet 7 Inches
BF:26%/22%/18%
Progress: 25%

Hi, I recently quit with the help of the Nicotrol inhaler. I was on a pack a day and quit in a week. It really works so you may want to check with your Doctor and QUIT for good.