Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 11:59
Registered Member

Plan: whole food
Stats: 160/160/160 Male 200
BF:
Progress:

thanx for the bump this reminds me

i have spoken to well over a 100 females either in person or via internet... (about half of them get there raw milk from some local farmers around here)

all have reported great benefits, only 1 has had some stomach discomfort and another has complained about constipation.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 16:51

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

<-- pregnant freind o' bat's.

this thread is extremely interesting, even for someone who doesn't adhere to paleo, although i try to incorporate a lot of the principles into my own low-carbing.

if i could, for a minute, get beyond the raw milk argument and touch back on something that was brought up by bike2work and ambimorph, about ketosis and pregnancy. i'm not sure that it would be a bad thing, and i'm also not sure i understand the post from michael eades outlining the science behind it all.

i totally agree that high carb is NOT the way to go, and that incorporating higher amounts of fruits and veggies is far more beneficial than going with the standard pregnancy dietary advice. can someone go into more detail as to why ketosis would really be that bad? historically and culturally it can't have that much of an impact or we'd see serious trends within groups who have naturally ketogenic diets.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 05:43

Plan: ulc-paleo(meaty goodness)
Stats: 175/165/140 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
can someone go into more detail as to why ketosis would really be that bad? historically and culturally it can't have that much of an impact or we'd see serious trends within groups who have naturally ketogenic diets.

There isn't any research indicating that it's safe, so Dr. Eades and company are appropriately covering their asses. It's one of the reasons I think Dr. Eades can be trusted; he's pretty conservative in his recommendations.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 19:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/127/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hey preggo friend of bats... how is your pregnancy going?

I'm 2 months chugging along and more confused than ever. I just got my "positive" a week ago - the last 2 months I've apparently been pregnant I had been well under 30 carbs - mostly under 20, sometimes under 10.

The last 2 weeks I've upped my carbs out of a mix of fearfulness & lack of appetite for anything other than peaches (& meat). I didn't eat much fruit except berries before & I've been RAVENOUS. I don't know if it's the peaches or what, but I've already gained some weight in my face! Crazy!

Anyway, let me know how you're doing. I'm feeling pretty crappy right now in more ways than one!

xo
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 11:16

Plan: nursing lc paleo
Stats: 175/147/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hello...I have not read all the posts but I had a mostly paleo/traditional foods pregancy with my last baby. (I did some gluten-free grains sometimes). I REALLY craved fat, red meat, stew (with homemade bone broth), and chicken liver pate (from the Nourishing Traditions book). I also took green pastures cod liver oil, extra vitamin D since I was still deficient, and NOW prenatals.

My baby was 9lbs 12 oz and very healthy and strong. My pregnancy was healthy wih no complications at all. In fact one of my midwives started eating red meat after having me as a client

Oh--I was in ketosis a lot during the pregnancy too, but not on purpose. To get out of it I would have to eat grains the day before. I was probaby around 50-80 grams of carbs a day because I felt good that way..My carbs were usually from strawberry, coconut milk, honey smoothies. I was not going to add carbs to stay out of ketosis on purpose because then I would feel yucky so I just did not worry about it.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 13:34

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

My first pregnancy was incredibly high risk, and the nutritionist I was sent to was a huge believer in low carb during pregnancy. She felt that juices should be out, fruits and starches lead to gestational diabetes, and pregnant women need to eat lots of meat. Unfortunately, I was so sick I was unable to follow her advice.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 17:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitmamajen
Hello...I have not read all the posts but I had a mostly paleo/traditional foods pregancy with my last baby. (I did some gluten-free grains sometimes). I REALLY craved fat, red meat, stew (with homemade bone broth), and chicken liver pate (from the Nourishing Traditions book). I also took green pastures cod liver oil, extra vitamin D since I was still deficient, and NOW prenatals.

My baby was 9lbs 12 oz and very healthy and strong. My pregnancy was healthy wih no complications at all. In fact one of my midwives started eating red meat after having me as a client

Oh--I was in ketosis a lot during the pregnancy too, but not on purpose. To get out of it I would have to eat grains the day before. I was probaby around 50-80 grams of carbs a day because I felt good that way..My carbs were usually from strawberry, coconut milk, honey smoothies. I was not going to add carbs to stay out of ketosis on purpose because then I would feel yucky so I just did not worry about it.

That is so awesome! I'm all over the meat - still pretty hesitant about any deliberate ketosis in pregnancy. It's definitely a personal thing, but my body wants the figs and nectarines that are busting out this season & I'm happy to oblige. Tonight I'm even baking a much fantasized about yam with my chicken.

Still not onto grains, though, which is probably a blessing. Just the idea gets me sick - especially the thought of flour. Jeezo criminy. *blech*

On another note, I'm a big believer in the power of women's bodies. I am in awe of the medical technology that allows us to live and survive things we once could not, but I also think that many of our bodies would probably grow babies no matter what we were eating.

For instance, my first pregnancy I ate mostly carbs - I was SO sick and the "only thing that I could eat" were saltines and graham crackers. It was miserable! Eventually I was "able" to eat meat (LOTS of meat) later at night, but breakfast - late afternoon I pretty much couldn't stand anything but crackers to keep myself from throwing up.

I gave birth to my beautiful healthy daughter at home with my husband - how primal, right?

Does that mean what I ate/did/n't do led to my healthy daughter's complication free homebirth? Or does that mean I grew a healthy baby and gave birth despite of what I ate/did/n't do during my pregnancy?

Who knows! I just pray I have another healthy baby!
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 22:06

Plan: Paleo - VLC
Stats: 163/175/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: -52%

I LOVE seeing this thread bumped up.

I'm now 28 weeks pregnant and have been doing pretty well on paleo.

After a rough (carby) start to my first trimester, I have managed to turn it around. I am eating a lot more fruits and veggies than normal and a little less meat. I am also being very bad and eating honey on an almost daily basis - but just a tiny bit.

Glad to see the homebirth comment. I gave birth to my last baby in a birthing center and am happy to announce that this one will be born at home. :-)
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-09, 10:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
After a rough (carby) start to my first trimester, I have managed to turn it around. I am eating a lot more fruits and veggies than normal and a little less meat. I am also being very bad and eating honey on an almost daily basis - but just a tiny bit.

Well, I must say that as far as badness goes, that's just a small one! Way better than oh, grains for instance.
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-09, 11:05

BF:

/edit I just upgraded to Flickr Pro & I don't think my account has been refreshed yet. I'll repost when you can see the pictures!

Here are some pictures of my homebirth:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/419515...57594126693964/

Clearly I had to exclude pictures with nudity (which is about all of them ) so you can't see the wonderful atmosphere - I had 2 midwives, 2 doulas, my husband and a great big tub. It was so fantastic - I can't even communicate how wonderful of an experience it was! If it suits you, I highly recommend having a doula(s) for your homebirth.

Yesterday was carb city but man - that yam blew my mind! Definitely hit the spot & satisfied my obsession. Today I don't even feel like fruit! TMI I had that horrible 1st trimester constipation - fruit & the beans I had the other day fixed that! Thank goodness! I've been averaging 50-80 grams of net carbs, interestingly, so I wonder if my body is actually self-regulating.

Embarrasingly I've already gained 8lbs! CLEARLY not all of it is body fat, but I've definitely gone from hard to soft... not that I mind. I'm enjoying looking more feminine so much I'm going to set 135-140 as my post-pregnancy goal weight! A far cry from the ridiculous 110 of my last pregnancy So unhealthy!

I also look pregnant already! How messed up is that? My uterus is more like the size of a pumelo than a grapefruit! My OB (that I am NOT going back to) commented on my... "healthy" sized uterus & was trying to find a #2 in my early ultrasound. Thanks lady!

I guess I'm just well endowed

Last edited by I<3splenda : Thu, Aug-06-09 at 12:55.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-09, 02:43

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)
Progress: 0%

ooh, congrats on your pregnancies ladies! have to say I'm a bit jealous we will be trying for another little one next year when we are back in america... I will be following this thread to see how it goes for you, best wishes on staying healthy and happy!
  #87   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-09, 00:48

BF:

So how are you ladies? I haven't been counting carbs as much lately - I really tapered off the fruit, it quickly transformed into an aversion. I've just been so hungry. For some reason I thought the low carb would curb that, but nope! Just as hungry as the next pregnant lady!!

The OB I saw briefly (for my "official" pregnancy test) told me to stop taking my Metformin, so I did - but now I'm reading that many women continue taking it for insulin issues! I have a note in to my Pdoc, so we'll see.

I found new midwives (my midwives from my daughter's birth are on sabbatical) & they are AWESOME! One was actually an intern with my other midwives & we loved her then. It's really kissmet!

I pretty much want eggs with bacon or ham and cheese ALL the time. Grilled meat is a yummy treat for dinner and I've had peanutbutter & celery as a snack once a day for over a week. Mostly it's eggs and some smoked pork product. Mmmm. Eggs. Can't get enough. One night I went face down in a bowl of popcorn, but I don't really know what to say about that

Nausea is WAY better & easily remedied by eating something (which is usually eggs with bacon or ham and cheese :lol ) All around I'm feeling pretty much back to "normal" save for my ginormous uterus that seems WAY bigger this second time around.

Except... today, after a month of fixation, I made a chocolate layer cake with cream cheese frosting using This recipe. It was effing amazing, let me tell you! Actually, I made the basic batter, but I used cannalini [white] beans - as a long time beanconfection skeptic, I just couldn't ditch the disgusting image of black beans in a cake. For some reason white beans seemed more approachable.

Then I split the batter in half and made 3 vanilla cupcakes & 3 lemon cupcakes with 1 half & 1 mini chocolate layer cake with the other :lol My husband and daughter (& ME, of course!) were THRILLED to have such delightful tasty treats in the house!

I frosted the vanilla with chocolate cream cheese frosting, the lemon with lemon zest cream cheese frosting & the chocolate with vanilla cream cheese frosting. SO paleo OMGZ!

The amazing woman who writes the blog has a delicious coconut milk glaze recipe, I just decided not to use it I had to go for it or my fixation on confections was sure to reach dangerous heights.

So yeah - carby beans and cheesey goodness... I'm having a REALLY hard time feeling guilty about it if you know what I mean Man! That was every pregnant lady's fantasy without the sugar rush and carb coma.

Anyway! Hope you ladies are hanging in there!
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-09, 00:58

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

You would be better off without all that dairy.

This is the paleo area
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-09, 02:39

My gosh, I know how tempting dairy can be! and there is some odd comfort thing that comes from it, like mother cow is nurturing you or something weird like that lol.
... I gave into some cheese recently and had a pretty bad asthmatic reaction to it! It really freaked me out.

... on a more positive note, I found a nut-based ice cream at our local health food shop. It was cashew-based, which I'm not big on, but nice to know it can be done-- I am going to try making my own version with different nuts.

I'm not pregnant now, but my last pregnancy I was a slave to hagen-daz, ben and jerry, and this amazing Boston pizza place RIGHT around the corner. And I gained 60 pounds because of it. I'm trying to get healthy version of all my potential cravings lined up before my next pregnancy!

I'm glad you were able to find good midwives! That will be my next priority, after the ice cream
  #90   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-09, 02:45

heres a similar recipe to the icecream i bought: http://herestheveg.blogspot.com/200...lla-cashew.html

though, i would sub the maple syrup for raw honey and maybe some blended berries. it is soo creamy. great, now I'm craving ice cream and I'm not even the pregnant one here!