Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-12, 08:49

Plan: south beach
Stats: 342/342/250 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:
Default Slow starting?

So I have mentioned in other posts that it is both me and my girlfriend doing this diet at the same time. I am down 7lbs already so far in less than a week, she however has stayed pretty much steady, and in one day actually gained weight. Does it sometimes happen that the first two weeks is slow for people, or is it just a female thing? I don't want her discouraged already with this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-12, 09:04
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaddore
So I have mentioned in other posts that it is both me and my girlfriend doing this diet at the same time. I am down 7lbs already so far in less than a week, she however has stayed pretty much steady, and in one day actually gained weight. Does it sometimes happen that the first two weeks is slow for people, or is it just a female thing? I don't want her discouraged already with this.

Women need to never compare their weight loss to men...period!
Men lose much easier and faster than we do and its very annoying, to say the least.
Would your girlfriend sign up here for herself so that we can talk to her directly?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-12, 09:04

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 280/166/167 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 101%

there's definitely a male vs female difference in losing weight. also, most women also have a week or so every month when water retention kicks in despite diet.

we really need to know what she's eating in a typical day to offer specific advice.

keep in mind you both only started a few days ago. miracles don't happen overnight.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-12, 16:21

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 222/203/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Your gf needs to just stay on plan. My husband loses MUCH faster than I do and I have a thyroid issue as well as the issue of being female. And he sometimes eats off plan and STILL loses. It's enough to make a woman crazy! Women tend to lose slower than men. It's just a fact. It's not fair but life isn't fair.

Also, if it's anywhere near her TOM she may show a gain according to the scale. But the scale lies! Measurements & maybe a pair of "try on" pants would be a good idea for her. (try on pants = a pair she can try on periodically that are a size or two smaller, so she can see herself slowly being able to get into them better until they fit and beyond).

With the scale, I am sure someone here can post the WHY THE SCALE LIES thread for you. It's definitely not about the day-to-day fluctuations that we ALL experience, it is about the trend (borrowing this from JudyNYC, the smartest South Beach advocate I know!). If it's a general downward trend, that is ideal. That doesn't mean everyday is a drop. It means the trend is a downward one overall.