Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 13:08
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
is anyone eating <gasp> french fries?

Me, me, me! With some trepidation, had some the other night with a small burger, and let me tell you, after not having tasted even one fry for years, they brought tears to my eyes. Lost on the scale the next day too.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 14:52

Plan: Atkins/ME
Stats: 145/140/130 Female 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 33%

French Fires? OMG, that is insane. I love it, but wonder if I would be able to eat a moderate amount...........KWIM?

I think I am going to start this Monday or Tuesday, I still have some more reading to do, but intend to catch up and try and understand this the best I can.

KUTGW!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #123   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 15:31

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

I'm eating french fries too. But I'm not enjoying them because I can't cook them properly. I peeled the potatoes, cut them into sticks and fried them in hot olive oil. They came out too coloured almost brown and limp and soft instead of crunchy

Anyway since upping my fat intake it's <unbelievable> hard for me to consume enough carbs. I leave the carbs for the evening and usually it's a struggle to get those 60 grams of carbs.

So I wonder if you have some nice idea on what to eat to get enough carbs. I don't want to eat potatoes every night and bread I live better without it. Pumpkin and winter squash are not in season. I don't tolerate many fruits and can't afford eating strawberries every night.

So whatever idea is welcome.
  #124   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 15:41

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

How about roasted veggies? Cut them into bite size chunks or a little bigger, coat with olive oil, add some herbs (rosemary is great) or seasoning (garlic/chili is good) and bake. I do several combos...

peppers (red)
carrots
white potato
sweet potato
squash/pumpkin
onion

I also really like fresh broccoli roasted - and cauliflower - I just douse them in olive oil and bake for 30-45 minutes until caramelized. Green beans (frozen or fresh) are good that way also.

I've also been using Ryvita crackers to up my carb content. 12 carbs per 2 crackers (they're about 2x4 inches in size).
  #125   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 15:42

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

I bought some rykrisp crackers...is that too bread like? What about brown rice? Lentils? I make a pretty kicky chicken lentil stew that would fit this diet. With a dollop of sour cream in the middle.

BTW, am I supposed to be out of ketosis? Because I'm not, even with 80 grams o' carb. But that seems counter intuitive.
  #126   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 15:56

BF:

I am so hungry this morning I could eat a pig's head (doused in butter of course)! Am trying to 'save' my protein/carbs for lunch as we're eating out but think I'm going to have to cave and eat something. Another coconut mcnugget or a cream cheese ball, coming my way.....
  #127   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 16:17

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisR
How about roasted veggies? Cut them into bite size chunks or a little bigger, coat with olive oil, add some herbs (rosemary is great) or seasoning (garlic/chili is good) and bake. I do several combos...

peppers (red)
carrots
white potato
sweet potato
squash/pumpkin
onion

Thanks. What are the maximum grams of carbs you can obtain from these from a normal (not too bulky) portion?
  #128   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 16:26

Plan: Atkins/ME
Stats: 145/140/130 Female 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 33%

Are many of you eating fruit?
  #129   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 16:53

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

Whats a good high fat food you can snack on. Kinda a grab and go other than just drinking cram eggnog which I do sometimes?
  #130   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 17:44

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by soule72
Whats a good high fat food you can snack on. Kinda a grab and go other than just drinking cram eggnog which I do sometimes?

Macadamia nuts?

Patrick
  #131   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 17:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ
Thanks. What are the maximum grams of carbs you can obtain from these from a normal (not too bulky) portion?

About 20-25 net carbs per serving I'd estimate....

Here's a ball-park recipe...all medium sized veggies

1 sweet potato
1 white potato
1 onion
4 carrots
1 red pepper
1 cup chunked pumpkin
4 TBSP olive oil (could easily double this)

91g Net carbs/13g protein/70g Fat per 4 servings.

What we do with the leftovers (there is only 2 of us) is to make 'bubble and squeak'. Chop up the leftovers and fry in butter until caramelized.

Basically just enter whatever veg you use into your online program and divide by the number of servings you get out of the mix.
  #132   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 17:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgirl
Are many of you eating fruit?

I've been adding 75-100 gms of raspberries or blackberries (frozen, unsweetened) to my Greek Yogurt/mascarpone mixture for breakfast.

I also eat fresh berries when we can get them at reasonable prices. Yesterday blueberries were 6.98 AUD per 1/2 pint - ahhhh........nope...can't swing that in this economy! Strawberries were a bit more reasonable at 3.98 per pint.
  #133   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 17:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soule72

If you use coconut oil you might want to try keeping, what I call my coconut mcnuggets in the freezer for quick and easy snacks. There are so many ways to make these up. I typically put unsweetened cocoa in mine so I get a bit of a chocolate hit also.

I've also used cream cheese as a base for either savory (like a cheese ball) or sweet things. I can't remember which thread it was in, but someone posted something called 'cream cheese clouds' that sounded good.

I use macadamia nuts too because they're nearly all fat. I have to pre-measure though, into my 1 oz portions or I consume too much. These little baggies are perfect for traveling - I typically have one or two baggies in my satchel at all times for emergencies.
  #134   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 19:02

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Tennessee Pride natural pork sausage is gluten free, very affordable, and provides a two to one ratio of fat to protein.
  #135   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 20:04

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

Thanks for all the ideas

(If you use coconut oil you might want to try keeping, what I call my coconut mcnuggets in the freezer for quick and easy snacks. There are so many ways to make these up. I typically put unsweetened cocoa in mine so I get a bit of a chocolate hit also.)

I eat these too but am a little tired of them. I really miss like cheese sticks and stuff I can have them but I have to make sure I don't go over the protein. I guess the nuts is best because i can take them to go.