Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 06:05

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

ok, I can't believe I'm asking this question....but here goes.....

Other than sweet potatoes or white potatoes, what are some choices for higher carb/low protein? Even with eating 4-5 veggie servings per day, I'm struggling to get my carbs HIGH enough while keeping my protein to the lower end of my range. Today I even had a slice of bread (which I haven't had in well over a year) and although it added 12 gms of carb, it also added 3 gms of protein.

I think I need some ideas for higher carb items (10-15 carbs per serv) that have relatively no protein. I feel so bizarre even asking the question!

Next month when my protein drops it will be even harder to figure out.

Here's where my carbs & protein came from today...

bread-bills 1 slice

Egg, whole, cooked - qty 1

Milk, cow's, fluid, whole - qty 1/2 cup

Endive, raw/Baby Cos - qty 4 cups

Cheese, Blue or Roquefort - qty 1 cubic inch

Tomatoes, raw - qty 3 cherry

Bacon pieces-1TBSP

Sour cream - qty 1/8 cup

Cauliflower, raw - qty 1 cup

Beef steak, broiled or baked, lean and fat eaten - qty 3 oz

Egg, yolk only, cooked - qty 1/4

marscarpone - qty 50gms

Carbs: 40.7
Protein: 54.5
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 06:12

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisR
ok, I can't believe I'm asking this question....but here goes.....

Other than sweet potatoes or white potatoes, what are some choices for higher carb/low protein?

baked beets
sweet corn
pumpkin
swinter squash
boiled carrots
pop-corn with butter
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 06:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

Jicama is higher in carbs. I've also been having unsweetened applesauce with pork roast. Yum!
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 10:41

Plan: Pregnancy / Dr. K / SCD
Stats: 160/000/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 640%

Lisa, as per a previous poster's request that we keep this to menu descriptions, I'm going to reply to the more general posts in the main Dr. K thread. Hope you don't mind.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 11:13
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisR
Other than sweet potatoes or white potatoes, what are some choices for higher carb/low protein?

Kris, you might want to start thinking about LC baking and other treats, where you can get the fat/protein/carb ratios to exactly what you want them to be.

I make peanut butter, mini-chocolate chip cookies with real chips. They're small, but contain lots of good fats (butter, PB, egg yolk), a small amount of carbs, and low protein per cookie. Ditto ice-cream. Made several quarts yesterday of cocoa coconut ice-cream with tons of fat, a small but decent amount of carbs and fiber, and a very small number of protein grams per serving. Ditto my PB chip brownies, chocolate fudge, etc. I eat at least one little goodie a day.

Lisa
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 12:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Today I decided to front-load my protein and had 2 eggs, 3 slices of bacon and .5 oz of cheese for breakfast. That was always a breakfast that'd hold me for a good 4 hours.

24fat
1 carb
25 protein

Maybe front loading protein will help my appetite the rest of the day.

Lunch will probably be more broccoli soup, perhaps with a side of pate and some crackers.

KrisR: I got some nice gluten free rice crackers. Also think rice might be a good option. Personally I think wheat is evil so bread is pretty much out.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 12:33

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default adding the third meal

Well my scale didn't go down again today, but it didn't go up either! YAY, this begins week two for me, and I guess my "official" loss for the first week is 3 pounds. I still have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth though not as bad as a couple days ago. I'm still hungry a lot (and I do think I'm eating mostly good quality protein), but not as hungry as a couple days ago. Here's my eating for the day so far:

Breakfast:
2 strips of bacon
1 1/2 scrambled eggs
1/2 oz cheddar cheese
a couple tsp mixed butter/bacon drippings

Lunch:
7 'Mary's Gone Crackers' crackers (I do *not* do wheat in any form - but these are great little crackers made from brown rice, flax seeds and quinoa)
2 oz. of Braunschweiger
2 tsp butter
1/2 serving of Optimum Nutbread

Snack:
1 chocolate-tahini candy (home made)

so that's means that so far I'm at:
Calories: 1130
Fat:102g
Net Carbs:20g
Protein:34g

That leaves me comfortable headroom for dinner.

I did some cooking today (in between calls from work,LOL). I made Chicken Liver Pate from the recipe in Nourishing Traditions, and I made the Optimum Diet Nutbread that I found the recipe for on another Kwasniewski thread. I did not use hazelnut meal but a combo of almond and pecan meal (as I already had both of those). The recipe made so much it made a full loaf of bread in a bread pan *plus* a dozen muffins.

The bread pan even started to overflow a bit as it rose, and I but a cookie sheet underneath it on the rack below, and a lot mound of it formed there and baked into what almost looked like a little cream puff. So I took that warm from the oven, split it in half, and had it with two thick pats of butter, one on each half. <swoon> One of the tastiest things I've had in a while!

Woo Hoo! I've had dinner now, and it turned out to be quite a treat after all. I only used 2 oz of the ground beef to make a tiny hamburger. So I had:

2 oz hamburger cooked with a little bacon drippings
a little Heinz One Carb Ketchup on the hamburger
1 slice of Optimum nutbread cut in half, each side slathered with butter
1 California avocado, cut up in little chunks

Wow, that avocado was yummy, and satisfied my "vegetable" yearning just fine. So my final for the day worked out to:

Nutrient: What I ate (ON ratios)

Calories: 2314
Fat: 216g (155-219g)
Net Carbs: 40g (39-52g)
Protein: 59g (52-64g)

So for the first time I actually HIT all the numbers for the day per the ON plan, though my fat always seems to be on the high end of my range, but still within it.

Last edited by Merpig : Sat, Apr-18-09 at 17:43.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 12:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

How is that pate recipe from NT? I tried a pate recipe I found on the Internet and almost gagged. Been scared to try it ever since.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 13:08

BF:
Default Marrow Bones

I bought marrow bones at the butcher today. They're cut in cute medallions. So what the heck do I do with them?
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 13:14

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
How is that pate recipe from NT? I tried a pate recipe I found on the Internet and almost gagged. Been scared to try it ever since.

Well I think it tastes good. Of course we all have different tastes - but heck, chicken livers cooked with mushrooms, green onions, garlic, some rosemary, reduced with white wine, and tossed into a food processor with a bunch of soft butter - all ingredients I like! It made a big batch. I hope I can eat it all!

But if you still have the previous recipe, and compare the ingredients to above, maybe it will give you an idea if you might like it or not.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 13:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharma
I bought marrow bones at the butcher today. They're cut in cute medallions. So what the heck do I do with them?

ahaha, I'm answering my own question. Good link http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/375710
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 14:01

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Fructose Free, Gluten Free Quaker Oats Rice Cake

Place rice cake on microwave safe plate.

Spread thin with butter, place mound of shredded cheese on top, nuke for maybe half a minute, then remove and top with 5-7 pieces of Hormel Pepparoni, and nuke for another 30 seconds.

I'm certain all manner of tasty crunchy deserts could be also be made with rice cakes, using a very thick whipped cream and dark chocolate.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 14:33

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharma

I put a recipe for marrow on the first page of this thread.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 14:44

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Thanks all for the ideas....popcorn is the one that really 'sings' for me! Can't wait to check the carb/protein counts out on the microwave popcorn that is available here (vastly limited from what is available in the USA).

Also the beets-I forgot about them. Crackers/rice cakes might work too. And, the desserts sound wonderful! I find I'm more a 'savory' person than 'sweet' person - although I do like my tea with a tab or two of AS and coconut milk or cream. A quick and easy cookie or bar that was higher carb/lower protein would be good to have on hand for those times when I do have a sweet craving.

I can have more variety with this WOE than I was having with VLC - which is nice. I'm having fun figuring it all out! It amazes me how increasing carbs from 20 to 40 (net) has made me rethink and reorganize my eating choices - I wouldn't have thought it would make that much of a difference given what I used to consume on the SAD.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 14:51

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

Okay- I found a recipe for pate that doesn't involve breadcrumbs as a binder. LOL Again it is from Anthony Bourdain. I LOVE the foods he loves. And pig and all things pork are a near religious experience for him. Gotta love that as well.

In the recipe below, if caul fat is not available, I have seen a terrine made with proscuitto.

And notcie the commentary before the recipe from Bourdain. I am thinking that if there are goodies like this and steak tartare in the cookbook, that it might need to be added to my growing collection of cookbooks. LOL

Pâté de Campagne

by Anthony Bourdain with Jose de Meirelles & Phillippe Lajaunie
from Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook
(Bloomsbury, 2004)
Makes a 2 1/2-pound (1.5 kg) terrine

You've made meat loaf, right? You've eaten cold meat loaf, yes? Then you're halfway to being an ass-kicking, name-taking charcutier. "Ooooh...pâté, I don't know." Please. Campagne means "country" in French — which means even your country-ass can make it.

Caul fat is the lacelike intestinal lining that you are going to use to line your terrine mold. It's one of those things you want to have ordered from your butcher way in advance, so that it's there, fresh and ready to go, when your other meat arrives. Caul fat is great, multipurpose stuff. Your butcher has probably heard the tales of his fellow butchers binding wounds with it. You can wrap forcemeats in it (as we will do), fish, or roasts. It helps keep shape and retain moisture, and it adds flavor. And it looks really cool and professional. It has the added benefit of being easy to work with.

convert Ingredients
1/2 pound(225 g) pork liver, cut into chunks just small enough to fit into the meat grinder
1/2 pound(225 g) pork fat, cut into chunks just small enough to fit into the meat grinder
1 pound(450 g) pork shoulder, cut into chunks just small enough to fit into the meat grinder
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
Scant pinch of allspice (careful!)
5 garlic cloves
2 shallots, thinly sliced
3 ounces (75 ml) cognac
3 ounces (75 ml) white wine
4 sprigs flat parsley
1 tablespoon salt
1 egg
Caul fat to wrap (purchase from your butcher)
1 cup (225 g) duck fat

Method
1. In a large bowl, combine the liver, pork fat, pork shoulder, pepper, allspice, garlic, shallots, cognac, white wine, and parsley and cover. Refrigerate overnight. That was easy.

2. The next day, remove the mixture from the refrigerator, add the salt, and pass everything through the strong meat grinder, which you have fitted with a medium blade. The grind size should not be too small (paste) nor too large (chunks). Basically, you're looking for a grind size about that of meat loaf. If you don't have a durable meat grinder, suck up to your friendly neighborhood butcher and take your mix down to him. He should like you by now; he doesn't get a lot of calls for pork liver and pork fat. (If that's also not an option, trim off as much sinew as possible, cut the pork into small dice, and hope for the best.)

3. When your meat and other ingredients are ground up, add the egg and mix through by hand. Preheat the oven to 325°F (170°C).

4. Line the terrine mold with one big piece of caul fat (or overlapping pieces, if you must) so that plenty of extra flops over the edge — enough to cover the top of the pâté when you fill the mold. Fill the terrine with the ground mixture, packing it tightly. Lift the terrine and firmly drop it onto the work surface (easy, don't go nuts) a few times, to knock out any air pockets. Fold over the remaining caul fat to neatly cover the pâté, trimming and tucking until it looks nice. Now cover the whole megillah with foil.

5. Set up a bain-marie inside the preheated oven. Put the filled terrine in the center. Obviously, you do not want the water level to be so high that the water leaks into the terrine mold. You want just enough water so that it comes up below the rim. Cook the terrine in the water bath in the oven for about 2 1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature is 160°F (70°C) (this is where your meat thermometer comes in).

6. When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Place a weight on top of the terrine (still in foil) and refrigerate overnight. The next day, remove the weight, remove the foil, melt down the duck fat in a small saucepan, and pour it carefully over the pate. Then refrigerate again for a few hours. The pâté will keep in the refrigerator for at least 5 days.

7. Serve with cornichons and maybe a tiny salad. If you did everything right, the pâté, when sliced, should be firm and moist, not dry or crumbly. The color should be uniform, not pink at the bottom and gray on the top. It should be cooked through, and the slices should have structural integrity, meaning they don't break when you cut them.