Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-23-17, 10:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Atkins: Eat Right, Not Less

Have to admit that I am impressed with the newest version in a long line of Atkins books. I started with New Atkins for a New You doing 20 net carbs, but then went to Dr. Westman’s own clinic and moved to his stricter list of foods and 20 total carbs.

But if you want the more flexible Atkins plans with net 20, 40, and even 100g carbs, this is a good book. I have been very critical of the books after 2010, like Atkins Made Easy, which had menus that were almost all shakes, bars and Atkins frozen foods. But this book has all real whole food menus, and you actually have to search around to even find mention of the ANA products in a list in the appendix.

Gorgeous photos with the recipes, all made with whole foods, many VLC. The recipes are about half the book and I do plan to try some of them. This book appears influenced by the paleo or real foods movement since most of the crap is gone and with an emphasis on better quality oils, etc. It has a brief overview of the science but also 80 studies supporting LC to back up that section in the appendix. And all the other Atkins tips on eating out, food at work, etc.

I have read every Atkins from 1972 on and think this is the best yet written by Colette Heimowitz. I don’t know if I’d pay $30, but our library had ordered it, check at yours to see if you like it first. The “Look Inside” feature at Amazon also has quite a few pages, including some of the recipes with the full page photos. https://www.amazon.com/Atkins-Guide...e/dp/1501175440
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-17, 12:43

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

thanks for the recommendation. my library has a few copies on order, so i put in a request. usually the atkins books don't have many photos in the recipe section, so, i'm looking forward to that!

I'm enjoying scrolling thru the 'look inside' on amazon.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-17, 14:12

Something I didn’t catch with the first look at recipes, some use an "Atkins flour". Not to buy like the old CarbQuik, but the included recipe is Soy Flour, vital wheat gluten, wheat bran, flaxseed meal and whey protein powder! Obviously that's out with a Soy or wheat sensitivity. Some recipes use it as a thickener, but that could be replaced with zantham gum or similar.

There is a good post from Amy Berger on Atkins just today:

New to Low Carb? Feeling Lost? "Paralysis by Analysis?" READ THIS.

(Aka Start with Atkins)

Excerpts:

Quote:
The original “Atkins book,” Dr. Atkins’ Diet Revolution, was published in 1972. Over four decades ago, and I dare say few people have improved on it in the forty-plus years since. Every low carb or keto book that’s come out since then—every single one—has been little more than a slight variation on what the good doctor put on paper all those years ago.

In 1972, and then throughout the 1980s and 1990s, when updated versions of the Atkins book came out, there were no blood or breath ketone meters. MCT oil wasn’t available to the general public. There were no fat bombs, nobody was dumping 4 tablespoons of butter in their coffee, nobody was afraid to eat protein, and nobody who was using low carb for weight loss thought they had to follow the same kind of medically therapeutic diet as a child with epilepsy, with 80% of their calories coming from fat. And you know what?

People did wonderfully.

People got great results.

if you’re confused or overwhelmed by low carb or keto, take a breath, stay calm, and just start. You don’t need to know anything about ketone meters, MCT oil, fat bombs, gluconeogenesis, making “keto” cookies, cake, or muffins from almond and coconut flour, or anything else, in order to take what is by far the most important and most effective step: eliminating sugar and starch from your diet.

[Why Dr Westman named the Diet used for his clinical trials that, No Sugar, No Starch]

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/1...ith-atkins.html
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-17, 14:52

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I agree, and I'm often an active participant in the over analysis of a healthy way of eating on this very forum. I'm an admitted nutrition geek, but keeping things simple and consistent is very refreshing and most effective. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the Atkins books that evolved directly from the doctor. Dr. Westman is another who keeps things simple by defining the necessary eating parameters to achieve good health. The rest is up to the consistency in one's WOE.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-17, 15:44

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I've come to understand that I am not a nutrition geek. I'm satisfied having figured out what to eat and when to eat, in other words what works for me. The biggest change I have made over the past several years is to switch to 2 meals a day with an eating window of about 8 hours. The amount of food I eat hasn't changed much from how much I ate when I first started eating this way which is about 15 years ago now and my carbs haven't varied too much either. I have adjusted things a bit to account for adequate micro-nutrients, but overall I like to keep it simple. For a while I worried about too much protein and then I read another opinion and worried about too little protein. I've worried about too much fat and I've worried about too little fat. Now I pretty much just eat having come back to close to where I was when I started, at least in terms of macros. Keep it simple is my motto along with NO JUNK EVER! Another motto is "in order to get the results you have to create the causes". I seem to be doing that and I am satisfied.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-17, 09:08

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Something I didn’t catch with the first look at recipes, some use an "Atkins flour". Not to buy like the old CarbQuik, but the included recipe is Soy Flour, vital wheat gluten, wheat bran, flaxseed meal and whey protein powder! Obviously that's out with a Soy or wheat sensitivity. Some recipes use it as a thickener, but that could be replaced with zantham gum or similar.

it probably wouldn't be too difficult to come up with a different type of lc flour mixture that would suit gluten/dairy/soy free people. i've been using a few of the thm recipes and just sub ground flax for their proprietary lc flour. there are quite a few diy thm baking blend mixes on the internet that are based on ground flax, coconut flour, ground psyllium (or oat fiber for those who can tolerate it, i can't), almond flour, peanut flour, etc It's hard to tell without seeing the actual recipes in the atkins book what kind of flour they would require. in theory we try not to do very many lc replacement baked goods, but in reality, they do come in handy sometimes and are a good tool to have in the toolbox, iykwim.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-17, 11:18

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I've come to understand that I am not a nutrition geek. I'm satisfied having figured out what to eat and when to eat, in other words what works for me. The biggest change I have made over the past several years is to switch to 2 meals a day with an eating window of about 8 hours. The amount of food I eat hasn't changed much from how much I ate when I first started eating this way which is about 15 years ago now and my carbs haven't varied too much either. I have adjusted things a bit to account for adequate micro-nutrients, but overall I like to keep it simple. For a while I worried about too much protein and then I read another opinion and worried about too little protein. I've worried about too much fat and I've worried about too little fat. Now I pretty much just eat having come back to close to where I was when I started, at least in terms of macros. Keep it simple is my motto along with NO JUNK EVER! Another motto is "in order to get the results you have to create the causes". I seem to be doing that and I am satisfied.Jean
I am a nutrition geek, but have come to basically the same conclusions after trying a lot of options.

My library bought 10 copies of this book (for a city of 1.2 million), I'm on hold, 2nd in queue for it.

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Dec-28-17 at 14:09.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-17, 12:44

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Thanks Janet, my library bought this book, I'm on hold, 2nd in queue for it, so, I'll let you know what I think, ttyl
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-28-17, 14:41

The bread used almond flour and flax meal, a bruschetta or base for "avocado toast" was almond flour and cheese, but pancakes, waffles and some breadings and thickeners were the Atkins mix. There are easier things to use to thicken a beef stroganoff, but the THM type baking mixes are everywhere, so Atkins recipes jumped on board that trend. And stevia for the few desserts. The clean eating or real foods look about the whole book. It was reviewed in the Costco Connection magazine just received in the mail.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-18, 07:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 339.8/272.6/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I enjoyed the book quite a bit. As much as I have learned from the Volek and Phinney books and Taubes books, Colette Heimowitz's user friendly style is a pleasant change of pace. She is very active on the Atkins site answering questions and also has her own blog She is always upbeat, always positive.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 05:07

I agree, always liked Colette when she got on the site to answer questions herself. Years ago the problem was a webmaster who intervened. But the overall design of the Atkins site and well-written clear information is excellent, if ignore the product ads. Anyone who wants to start Atkins this New Years would do well going to their website for the basic program, adding this book or the two previous editions Amy mentioned.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-18, 09:01

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I agree with much of this when it comes to the starting point--I don't think anybody should mess around with fat bombs or bulletproof coffee as a starting point, Westman's page four, meat to satisfaction approach makes the most sense. Dr. Atkins did have the fat fast as an add-on for people who needed a stronger intervention. I do great on page four in comparison to the SAD, but without tweaks, that got me from obese to overweight, it took tweaks to get to and to sustain a "normal" bmi. It's not all about weight, but aches and pains also decreased and I started getting a better pump working out, perhaps a sign of improved vascular function/insulin sensitivity. But until I got to the point where spontaneous weight loss while eating induction type foods to appetite stopped being effective, I still think the Atkins basics approach was best. The world is a much friendlier place if compliance means just skipping the french fries and eating the roast chicken with veggies or dropping the bun from the triple cheeseburger, compared to trying to hit a precise protein number.

I've seen threads where somebody has a stall, and people show up to say what tweaks worked for them. And people showed up to say eat less protein, eat more protein, eat less fat, eat more fat, eat less carbs, eat more carbs, eat more food, maybe you're eating too much food. No big surprise if this results in analysis paralysis.

Eat more protein can be excellent advice, it can be more satiating. I find eating a little less protein reduces my cravings and tendency to binge, especially at a lower body weight. Sometimes something like a fat bomb can be useful for this sort of approach. But it's fairly specific, if somebody's not carefully controlling protein and carbs, just adding on fat bombs probably won't help.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-18, 13:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diabetes Revolutio
Stats: 205/173/150 Female 12
BF:
Progress: 58%

Interesting - I just received my used copy of the 1972 book and I'm really enjoying the science and the no-nonsense diet approach of the original book. His advise is simple and to the point.

I tried the Atkins forums but was turned off by all the product ads and the insistence to add more carbs immediately, even if you have a lot of weight to lose.