Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 08:58
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default heel pain

Anyone had heel pain issues? I have extremely flat feet. Made an appointment with a podiatrist but I can't get in for a couple of weeks. I was hoping to get back to my exercise routines now that I'm 5 weeks post partum but this pain is getting in the way. Anyone have experience with this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 09:26

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Iowagirl,

You most likely have plantar fascitis (heel bone spur). Get an off-the-shelf orthotic from a shoe store and use them in all your shoes.

A podiatrist can make a custom orthotic (big bucks), but a Consumer Reports test a few years ago found that the off-the-shelf ones were just as effective.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 10:36
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Heel pain can be plantar fasciitis or it can be Achiles tendinitis or it can be a strain or it can be a stress fracture. You need a podiatrist to tell you what it is. Off the shelf orthotics may be fine for most but not if you have ankle pathology. For that you need to spend the bucks on a true orthotic made by a podiatrist.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 12:27
empress of fashion

BF:

Well I've only had this for two weeks. I took a walk (all on the sidewalk) and was wearing very cheap, unsupportive sandals. I noticed the pain when I returned and it has never left. I'm sure it is the fascitis as all I have read indicates this. I try to ice my heels a few times a day but that isn't easy with a newborn.
Any suggestions on good orthotics, Dodger? I purchased heel supports but they were very uncomfortable. I know they have other inserts, ones that support the entire foot.
My plan is to keep the appointment (insurance covers this so why not) but I might purchase a better orthotic in the meantime.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 12:47

Plan: Protein Power /Bernstein
Stats: 250/225/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 25%

If the pain is worse in the morning, that sounds like plantar fasciitis. I got that in my left heel after limping from a torn meniscus playing tennis. I've given up tennis now and hike with really good supportive and cushioned shoes. I experimented with various inserts. I should see a podiatrist, but haven't yet.

It can take 6 to 18 months to get rid of it!

You can find several stretching exercises on the internet and that helps too. One I like is flexing your foot and spreading the toes to stretch that tendon. Then try to just move the big toe up and down. I do this when I lie in bed.

I usually buy the New Balance shoes. Their website will list the ones that have 'extra cushioning' and that's what I get. I also found some Soft Spot sandals that had good heel cushioning. Good shoes will make a big difference.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 13:06

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowagirl
Anyone had heel pain issues? I have extremely flat feet.

I too have extremely flat feet.

Last year, I suffered a heel bruise, which sounds like what you have as well. I think they called it plantar fasciitis. I suffered mine while running too long during a month I had tinkered with increasing my milage. Mine had taken about 8 months to fully heal where I can run without any semblance of pain or discomfort. Ever since little league, I was told to never run long distances (meaning more than 30 min) since I had such flat feet.

Icing it certainly helps, but unfortunately a heal bruise simply requires lots of time. Also, when walking, a high quality motion stability shoe specifically designed for a flat arch would help. I highly encourage you to wear one of those during your recovery period.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 13:13

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

It doesn't sound like plantar fasciitis to me. Plantar pain isn't really in the heels, despite it being called a "heel spur." It's generally in the arch and ball of the foot. This site helped me recover from crippling plantar, and it's helped a couple of other people I referred to it. Ignore the stuff about his book -- there's enough free info here to take care of plantar, if that's what you have.

I will add that the medical people I talked to were worthless on this subject, while doing the things recommended on that site, particularly the stretches, eliminated my plantar in a month, so be careful about your doctor, particularly if he or she starts talking about surgery.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 13:28

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikdriver
It doesn't sound like plantar fasciitis to me. Plantar pain isn't really in the heels, despite it being called a "heel spur."

Yes, this is what I had. "Heel spur" is the term that was used, which I had forgotten.

It was so unpleasant an experience, that I just wanted to forget all about it?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 14:31

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowagirl
Well I've only had this for two weeks. I took a walk (all on the sidewalk) and was wearing very cheap, unsupportive sandals. I noticed the pain when I returned and it has never left. I'm sure it is the fascitis as all I have read indicates this. I try to ice my heels a few times a day but that isn't easy with a newborn.

Be careful with sandals, supportive or not. Do not walk in sandals longer distance. Sandals could be the worst plantar fascia killers. I run a lot, but never ever had heel pain from running. On the other hand I did have killing heel pain everytime, when druing my trips I made the big mistake going out for long walks in sandals.
Fortunately usually after 24 hours icing, stretching, massaging the pain goes away.

There are many good info on the net (check any walking, running site), but I would recommend to consult with a podiatrist regarding the flat feet.

Last edited by Galadriell : Mon, Jul-24-06 at 14:36.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 15:06

Stats: 211/208.2/160 Female 5'10"
BF:Yes it is!
Progress: 5%

Good shoes is what did it for me! I think I too have or had the Planter Fascitis (sp). It's a reoccuring injury from overuse and it first started for me when I was pregnant. I had always heard your feet hurt when pregnant so I thought that was what it was. LOL! So 14 months after having my baby, I still was having reoccurences. When I hit the floor in the morning... I literally feel down it hurt so bad. I had been basically wearing cheap shoes for about a year. I had a pair of Birkenstocks and they finally wore out last summer. The replacements were cheapos. After alot of pain and research, I went out 2 months ago and bought a new pair - the soft sole Birks. They cost a lot but they are so worth it! I can tell a huge difference. I'm not saying you have to have Birks... but get something comfy and well made. You will tell a difference! I also bought some comfy, soft soled shoes for work. (I can't wear birks there.) It is so, so much better!!!!! Good luck to you!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 18:28
empress of fashion

BF:

Thanks for all the wonderful replies. I will definately check out the different types of shoes and inserts as well as the running/walking websites. I am not a runner but I do enjoy walking both outside and on my treadmill. I was hoping to jump back into an active lifestyle, having had a baby 5 weeks ago (girl number 3!). My preference is weight training but I decided to start with some low impact activities (walking, namely) until the doctor gives me the ok to do the weights and tae bo that I enjoy. I had severe hip pain while pregnant that made any kind of exercise impossible. Even water aerobics proved too painful. I hate to think I must put off exercising 8 more months! Hopefully with the right kind of shoes and supports I can ease back into some vigorous walking.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-06, 17:39
empress of fashion

BF:

Hey - I picked up a pair of New Balance walking tennis shoes. My heels felt good today!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-06, 18:26
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

My Foot doctor after I sprained both my heels suggested I wear only New Balance walking shoes, and I haven't had a problem since.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-06, 19:08

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Achiles tendinitis

Now, I have a name for my torture.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-06, 19:10

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

I just spent $125 on a pair of New Balance. I haven't been able to try them out much, yet, but the times I have worn them, they felt really good. When I bought a new pair of Rockport walkers a few months ago, I started having trouble with my right heel. I was diagnosed with heel bursitis. I couldn't get out of bed without having a good support shoe on. Those Rockports weren't cheap, but they weren't good for me.