Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#346   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 16:57
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I have difficulty differentiating the real cause of some of these things. Most people I know who went seriously lowcarb also dropped calories kind of radically, and that could just as well tie to low t3 and testosterone as low-carbs.

I actually would agree that "in context", if a diet is relatively healthy and has carbs but not a ton of them, if there aren't food intolerances and the genetics are ok with it, the person is likely ok. However, whenever you hear the argument that food-X will not hurt you "in moderation" or "is part of a balanced diet" remember you can say that about cardboard, too.

PJ
Sponsored Links
  #347   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 17:45

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

it's also possible to be intolerant to ANY food and not know it - bloating from eating beef anybody? I know that I used to have to undo my belt another notch after eating cream and cheese. Never put two and two together though did I? Intolerances can screw up your thyroid too. I read that in several books on the subject.
  #348   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 18:40

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Just sending people over to James Krieger is an improvement IMHO.

Patrick

Can you be more specific? Who or what was it you objected to before in his writings?
  #349   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 18:53

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet
Can you be more specific? Who or what was it you objected to before in his writings?

Ok, I see what you mean. I did not like the time period when he was at war with everybody else out there (like Kurt Harris, etc...). Also, his way of trying to gather meaning for the masses from his experiments of one.

Patrick
  #350   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 17:05

Plan: ZC Diet
Stats: 147/131/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hey Valtor,

Are you still doing the HED, by chance? And if so, have you had a positive experience with it? I just started reading Matt Stone's blog and his free E-book and found it very interesting.
  #351   ^
Old Sun, Oct-17-10, 17:58

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rara200923
Hey Valtor,

Are you still doing the HED, by chance? And if so, have you had a positive experience with it? I just started reading Matt Stone's blog and his free E-book and found it very interesting.

No. I'm taking T3 (Cytomel) now. Eating more did not solve anything for me by itself.

Patrick
  #352   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-10, 09:04

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

i am not convinced that many peop are successful on HED....women especially.
i see that some are IF ing to try and get the excess weight off.

taking the temp via armpit, IMO, is not that accurate and unless you are a mouth breather, sublingually, IN THE POCKET, would be closer to core.
of course, rectally is the most accurate.

he is correct about insulin.
it has some positive functions which is why body builders use maltodextrin in shakes, etc. the insulin spike induces healing in the muscles.
that's just one example......

i am not convinced that eating high carb is healthy but i feel the same about ZC/VLC.
no one knows.

i do know that when i was an organic, whole food vegetarian, my thyroid tested low and i gained 35#. i continued to struggle w my weight over the next 15 yrs w my vegetarian blinders on.
that is one very good reason that matt cannot convince me.

i am also waiting to see if ANY women are successful or whether it'll always be younger males.
  #353   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-10, 10:05
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.

Well, after I did a massive supplementation for quite some time, I had some better results after that, than I had had before that.

So, although I find Matt mostly a source of humor -- he is such an archetype of the young man, in some respects -- I actually think that the "base idea" -- that malnutrition may be part of much of this, and that greatly increasing a whole spectrum of that nutrition might be helpful -- may have merit.

I think the problem is that
a) eating more of the same doesn't help, and
b) your tastes alone suggest that the things you eat vs. don't probably follow the same general patterns they always have,
c) eating stuff that has grains, sugars, too many carbs, etc. just has too many other side effects to be healthy,
d) it's possible most people significantly overweight esp. for a long time are simply too far gone for the 'gentle' approach of 'correction of course' to be functional, and they may need more direct intervention such as a medication for awhile.

The theory of needing a good dose of a wide spectrum of all kinds of nutrients does not necessarily hinge on eating everything in sight.

And while I expect we'd all agree that food is a far better source of nutrients than pills, there's a lot of stuff in 'foods' like plants that counteract much of their assumed value, and there's lots of stuff that isn't in them at all due to modern agri practices and soil depletion, and there's a lot of stuff that isn't in them because we don't really have as broad a palate as most of us think and our options just aren't covering it, and there's only so much food you can eat at once anyway -- so much like sometimes there is a place for medication, I think sometimes there is a place for supplementation.

The idea at base though is ok. I think the implementation is open to question.

PJ