Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 08:58

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
They found that Americans still want to lose weight but they don’t want to give up too much.
Ay, there's the rub!

How much--or what--is "too much"? A lifestyle fix means giving up the stuff that makes us fat, namely sugar, starchy and processed foods, and fruit beverages. We won't even mention beer and wine. Nothing else will work, and you have to do it...well, forever.

I'm guessing WW in any configuration will continue to make money off the disappointed dreams of people who refuse to "give up too much."

Quote:
Wasn't the unlimited fruit and low saturated fat what lost many members when they switched to PointsPlus?? Went crazy with hunger with no limit on fructose and little fat to balance it.
I haven't looked at the plan. I'm guessing that one's allocated points take in present and goal weights, etc. and "point" to a menu that substantially reduces calories in a "balanced" way.

Baloney!

For one thing, I don't see how looking up every food you eat and determining points is "simple." Why not simply: Eat This. Don't Eat That.

Hunger is never sustainable. If you fill in the lack of fat with fruit, you may stave off hunger, but you won't make much progress in losing weight unless you have a pretty healthy metabolism to begin with. Okay. I'm prejudiced.

Thanks, Janet, for the entertaining information on Oprah's latest.

Last edited by bkloots : Mon, Dec-07-15 at 09:09.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 09:54

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I know someone who has been using WW for some years now - she's miserable. The cravings keep tripping her up. She started OA a couple months ago, but hasn't come regularly. Next time I see her I'm going to do a very non-OA thing and suggest she try something else.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 09:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Eating healthier with new SmartPoints
Counting calories and the PointsPlus system focused only on the weight loss part of the equation. In its strongest stance ever on eating healthier foods, Weight Watchers is changing the PointsPlus system and launching SmartPoints. The new SmartPoints plan makes healthy eating simple by translating complex nutritional information into one simple number. The new plan nudges members toward a pattern of eating that includes more lean protein, fruits and vegetables, and less sugar and saturated fat. All fresh fruits and most vegetables are zero SmartPoints

This is what Janet posted a few posts back. Thanks Janet!

This type of condescending marketing is what turned me off to WW after I failed at it 5 times over many years. They are trying to dumb it down for our little brains to handle one simple number. That really pisses me off.

I needed to actually learn about the foods themselves, not WW's interpretation of them in their stupid point systems.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 12:01

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Honestly, what I think it's trying it say is that Americans want to continue to do the same thing, but with different results. While I'm not a big believer that one single diet works for everyone given the incredibly complex nature of the human body, I do believe that making small tweaks won't work for most people eating the SAD. It just doesn't work that way; if it did, the "obesity crisis" would be solved. It takes realigning your thinking and choosing something completely different. To expect to make minor changes and see different results simply doesn't work for the long-term for both physiological and psychological reasons.

Oprah may be the greatest pitchman the world has ever known. I suspect she believes much of what she is selling, but she is so heavily influential that when she says something publicly, an unknown quantity of women fall in line.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 13:05

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I was at Publix the other day and they had a big endcap display of WW desserts for the holidays. Here are the ingredients for what WW thinks it's healthy for people to eat!
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 15:27

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I was at Publix the other day and they had a big endcap display of WW desserts for the holidays. Here are the ingredients for what WW thinks it's healthy for people to eat!
So, mostly sugar and hydrogenated oils.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 16:27

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Oprah may be the greatest pitchman the world has ever known. I suspect she believes much of what she is selling, but she is so heavily influential that when she says something publicly, an unknown quantity of women fall in line.

This is the deciding factor in this. Believe that Oprah had her accountants scrutinize this deal. She can move a stock's value, and she likely received a great deal here as an "investor" and part of the management team. She also has a deal in place to "harvest" earnings in the short term during which her name association will result in a higher stock price with an agreement of a bail out once the plateau occurs and earnings stagnate for a certain period of time. Very shrewd and no due diligence into whether this is a healthy approach was necessary, because for her, it doesn't matter. Feigned ignorance prevails over conscience. She stimulates growth in membership and cash register sales in the short term to enable the shareholders to protect their investments. She'll be the biggest winner.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-15, 21:42

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

Just saw my first ever "Oprah toting WW:" commercial this evening on TV
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 07:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The commercial: http://time.com/4163543/oprah-weigh...rnet-emotional/

As Dr Davis wrote, she has pulled back the national conversation about Diet 20 years. No tears here.....I don't have to count points. Or eat their disgusting fake food. DEbbie..that label says it all!

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Dec-30-15 at 07:07.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 07:21

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

There are many things I have liked about Oprah. This commercial is not one of them nor is her association with weight watchers. She should know better.

Jean
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 08:23
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

JEY thanks for sharing the link to the commercial! I hadn't seen it.

I loved the "If not now, when?" statement!

I wish Ms. O success on her WW journey! I just wish she'd do LC, cause she'd rock n' roll on this incredible WOE!
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 13:17

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

i saw it too. Instant lack of credibility. Tired message, hackneyed action phrase, no substance. I believe her "journey" is connecting to people and making money while doing so; weight loss results do not matter.

Does the end make any sense to those of you with WW experience? What does this mean:

"Join for Free! Purchase required."

that just smacked of the 80s economic retail model to me.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 13:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I'm getting a sense that there's a lot of investment going on in these fake foods that they keep insisting people really "want." This past week saw articles in business press on new businesses banking on fake meat (made from anything except meat of course, supposedly manufactured in innovative ways) and how tofu businesses are saving the planet. Much was made in the articles on how investors are flocking to these brave new products for people who shun real food.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 13:44

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I like Oprah. I can't help myself. She's so human. All her power and all her money can't accomplish the one thing she most desires: A body Forever Thin.

At least there's some form of healthy eating at the core of Weight Watchers. Oprah isn't selling miracle drugs, starvation, or bariatric surgery. Not yet anyway. However, if she ever goes vegan, I'll be alarmed for her and her many admirers. That would be a health catastrophe for so many!

Oprah is going to succeed. Again. I hope some others will, too.

Now pass me the bacon.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 13:55

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjfree
I have tons of respect for her b/c she keeps on trying. As a now 70 y.o. woman who struggled w/weight all my life and finally found my solution at age 64, I know all too well how it felt to fail and fail and fail and keep trying.

Personally, I don't like WW because of their additive laden food, but I hope she finds a solution that works for her.

I agree with you Jan. I did weight watchers years ago with success, but I was doing it low carb, and staying within the Weight Watcher's plan. Then when our leader left and we got a new one, she brought in a cake for us to one of the meetings!!!! This was right before dinner time and I was starving. That was about as crazy a thing as I could think of her doing.

She was also preaching about the importance of eating carby cereal every morning. I had to quit!!

Also their 2 point treat bars made me son hungry I could barely stand it, they were triggers for me almost eating the whole box.