Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 15:24

Plan: No idea
Stats: 145/-/125 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy39
Okay this is a REALLY long thread that I can't read right this minute but I have a question:

How many carbs is Atkins Lifetime Maintenance?

I always thought it was 30?

See, I am trying to get pregnant but when I do get pregnant I heard you can ONLY to do the Atkins Lifetime Maintenance Level of Low carbing so I was curious how many carbs a day that is

please answer in my journal (or here but mention my name so I see it)

thanks so much!

Answer is: YMMV according to Atkins, each one of us has a difference maintenance level, each one needs to experiment, keep adding carbs till you stop losing .... for me my carb level ZERO.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 23:14

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobysgirl
Capmikee, no, I confess I am not. I LOVE dairy,

Giving up cheese is so much harder than giving up bread! I think many people might find that surprising but I think it's true for a lot of us. We really made an effort to make dairy work - raw cow's milk, raw goat's milk, etc. I still use ghee - there's nothing else like it and it doesn't seem to bother us.

Quote:
Isn't MSG made from an amino acid as well?

That's right - MSG is free glutamine. Ironic, isn't it, that Atkins recommends glutamine to fight cravings, yet glutamate causes them! Even more confusingly, glutamates occur naturally in tons of "healthy" foods - anything fermented, aged or even stewed contains "hydrolysed" proteins, of which glutamate is just one part.

Quote:
What setbacks have you experienced?

Mood swings, acne, return of sleep apnea, night sweats, headaches, a lot of stomach gas, weight gain... the worst is when I get "glutened," but sometimes there's just no clear explanation for what happened. It's been pretty bad the past couple weeks. Maybe it's the apple-smoked bacon with unknown ingredients, maybe it's the winter low-vitamin-D blues... who knows!
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 14:43

Plan: Metabolic Typing Diet
Stats: 287/259/180 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question

Quote:
Giving up cheese is so much harder than giving up bread!

Yes!!!!! If I'm not losing weight right now (and I won't know until I'm somewhere with a good quality scale), I've been thinking I might have to give up cheese and nuts for a while. Boo hoo! I adore cheese and just bought 1/4 lb of Leyden cheese with cumin from Holland, and 1/2 lb of aged goat's cheese. Along with like 10 lbs of sauerkraut. Please don't anyone tell me sauerkraut isn't allowed on my LC diet!

Quote:
That's right - MSG is free glutamine. Ironic, isn't it, that Atkins recommends glutamine to fight cravings, yet glutamate causes them! Even more confusingly, glutamates occur naturally in tons of "healthy" foods - anything fermented, aged or even stewed contains "hydrolysed" proteins, of which glutamate is just one part.

What exactly are hydrolyzed proteins? Like hydrolyzed soy in smoked almonds? And what about fermented foods? I like them and my body seems to like them, as in the sauerkraut above. Full of enzymes; I never heat it, just eat it out of the tub, which was filled from the barrel at the krautmaker's.

Quote:
Mood swings, acne, return of sleep apnea, night sweats, headaches, a lot of stomach gas, weight gain... the worst is when I get "glutened," but sometimes there's just no clear explanation for what happened.

Does Atkins recommend digestive enzymes and bacteria? We eat a lot of raw salads and cook our beef (from local sources) very rare, and take acidophilus some of the time, plus mountains of Vitamin C which the good bacteria in your gut love (and the bad bacteria hate). It sounds like your body is trying to get rid of toxins (skin problems, sweat, gas) . . . ?????
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 15:04

Quote:
I adore cheese and just bought 1/4 lb of Leyden cheese with cumin from Holland, and 1/2 lb of aged goat's cheese. Along with like 10 lbs of sauerkraut. Please don't anyone tell me sauerkraut isn't allowed on my LC diet!

Finish that good cheese before you give it up! What a waste that would be.

Sauerkraut is allowed on all LC diets that I know of (though maybe some hardcore Paleo followers would disagree) - as long as it's not over your carb limit. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to make sauerkraut yourself than to lug it home from Holland, though! It's incredibly easy too. Start some now before your stash runs out because it takes a couple of months to get really tasty.

Quote:
What exactly are hydrolyzed proteins? Like hydrolyzed soy in smoked almonds? And what about fermented foods?

Hydrolyzed proteins are proteins that have been broken down into their component amino acids. A lot of different chemicals form during hydrolysation, including MSG. If you see "hydrolysed protein" (or even just "vegetable protein") on an ingredients label, you can be sure that's MSG. When it's made industrially, it's done at high temperature, producing more harmful compounds than when it's done at home. At least that's the only explanation I have for why industrial MSG gives me a pounding headache. The good thing is, hydrolysed proteins are easier for your body to utilize because they're "predigested." Intact proteins are more likely to cause allergy trouble.

I love fermented foods and I make a lot at home. I have no problems with sauerkraut, kimchi, pickled turnips and cucumbers, and coconut milk yogurt. However, a lot of fermented drinks mess up my head. Supposedly they only have trace amounts of alcohol; I'm inclined to think there are other products of fermentation that also bother me. I've heard that amines and acetates cause trouble for some people - and sure enough, anything with acetic acid (vinegar) makes me "drunk" for 24 hours. I can't have vinegar, wine, kefir, or kombucha.

Quote:
Does Atkins recommend digestive enzymes and bacteria?

I don't remember, but I certainly do. I like a lot of raw things too - one of my favorite snacks is carpaccio, and I have some raw egg yolk almost every day.

Quote:
It sounds like your body is trying to get rid of toxins (skin problems, sweat, gas) . . . ?????

I can only hope it's succeeding, and one day I'll see some improvement.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 09:46

BF:

Quote:
It's a heck of a lot cheaper to make sauerkraut yourself than to lug it home from Holland, though!

I have made sauerkraut at home with my homegrown cabbage, but we have a kraut maker not too far away who makes incredible kraut. I like "new kraut" when it's bubbly like champagne.

Thank you so much for the info about hydrolyzed proteins. My husband loves smoked almonds and I've been concerned about the hydrolyzed soy. We both are extremely fond of salt in all forms, though I use Redmund salt for cooking and for the horse. In the summer we both have to drink salt water sometimes to keep our potassium/sodium balance.

Quote:
I love fermented foods and I make a lot at home. I have no problems with sauerkraut, kimchi, pickled turnips and cucumbers, and coconut milk yogurt. However, a lot of fermented drinks mess up my head. Supposedly they only have trace amounts of alcohol; I'm inclined to think there are other products of fermentation that also bother me. I've heard that amines and acetates cause trouble for some people - and sure enough, anything with acetic acid (vinegar) makes me "drunk" for 24 hours. I can't have vinegar, wine, kefir, or kombucha.

Wow! A lot of my background is German and I like to drink diluted apple cider vinegar. We love fermented cucumbers in the summer and so does the dog. It's hard to ferment things in the winter in Maine because all the lovely little critters in the air are at rest. Once it cools off in the autumn I've found it much harder to ferment cucumbers.

Does anyone on this site ever address nitrosamines? I optidose Vitamin C so don't worry about the toxicity of processed meats, but I've wondered what other people do or if they aren't worried.

Do you have access to a sauna? What a great way to detox!
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 12:11

Fermentation is definitely slower in the winter, but some things are actually better when they go slowly. And it definitely still works - even my coconut milk yogurt still works, though in winter it takes more like 36 hours than 12 hours.

Before I went low-carb, I made ginger shrub a few times - ginger, honey and apple cider vinegar. That was GOOD!
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-09, 12:27

Plan: VLC + IF
Stats: 400/250/225 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 86%

PFFF

I've been eating cheese everyday on my LC diet. Old Cheddar = 0 Carbs.

I have to eat it, because I don't really have anything else to snack on

Been doing 0 carbs, and Its been hard not being able to find things to snack on or to eat but the results outweigh the pain
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 12:57

BF:

Deeyounee, how about jerky or pepperoni? I know you have to watch that they're not made with sugar in some form, but they make great snacks. I got my husband some pepperoni made without nitrates from the Vermont Country Store, and was it good!

Quote:
Before I went low-carb, I made ginger shrub a few times - ginger, honey and apple cider vinegar. That was GOOD!

I've always wanted to make shrubs, and now I can't! We used to drink maple syrup -- we make our own and give 99% of it away as gifts -- mixed with cold water and vinegar when we were working outdoors in the heat. And now I can't remember its old-fashioned name! Have you only developed the intolerance for vinegar since LCing?
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 13:14

Quote:
Have you only developed the intolerance for vinegar since LCing?

It's hard to say. I tend to think I had these intolerances all my life, I just never bothered to find out. I started LCing originially because I have an intolerance to sugar (maybe just fructose, but I didn't feel like splitting hairs). After I gave up vinegar, I completely lost the taste for it - now acetic acid just tastes irritating and slightly pukey.

Even before I started Atkins, I cut out gluten and dairy. Before that I was tired, confused, irritable, dizzy and nauseous most of the time - I only call it "drunk" now because I don't feel that way any more.

Atkins Induction was like the elimination diet I never had the guts to try. I thought I would reintroduce nuts, but they didn't work out for me. I got rid of chocolate, coffee and tea too (I was never a regular coffee drinker).
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 13:56

Plan: high protein
Stats: 172/159/154 Male 178 cm
BF:18%/13%/10%
Progress: 72%
Default Anything less than 120 grams a day

According to dr Eades MD the total requirement for carbs for carbs-dependent tissue is 200 grams a day. When you are in ketosis, this requirement drops to 120-130 grams, as keto's start to take over.

When you consume - let's say - 60 grams of carbs a day, your liver is forced to create 60 - 70 grams of carbs through gluconeogenesis.

Gluconeogenesis costs energy (roughly 25% of processed proteines). So the more carbs the liver has to make, the more energy is required for this proces.

Anything under 120 grams a day starts the gluconeogenesis. But your total energy requirement increases with every gram of carbs that you go down.

I aim for 40 grams of carbs a day. This allows me to eat tomato's, salad, vegetables and some dark chocolate.

Remember that only the glycogen stored in the liver is available for maintaining blood sugar levels. Everything that goes to the muscles stays in het muscles to be used by the muscles. The liver stores max 100 grams of glucose. So when you have been in ketosis for some time, and your muscles use fat to burn, the first 400 grams of carbs you consume are sent to muscle tissue. When you stay under this level, you are back in ketosis when the sugar is stored (3 hours).
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 07:05

Plan: Combination, Blaine Jelus
Stats: 318/300/195 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

THANK YOU!!

That is the best explanation of the sugar/liver/ketosis-gluconeogenesis connection that I have ever heard!