Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/156.2/140 Female 176cm
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default The Self Respect diet

The Self Respect Diet

We all inherently know that we should love ourselves. We regularly speak of the importance of self love and self respect, but are the words really meaningful to us in our everyday lives? In the now? How many times have we given advice like this to a friend- “Well if he/she can’t learn to love themselves then he/she can’t acept or appreciate your love either”.

So many of my conversations with friends over the years have come back to the fundamental importance of loving ourselves, and yet for years I still wasn’t achieving it myself.

One of my biggest frustrations in recent years has been my weight, and I know I’m not alone there. The dieting and weightloss industries are huge and seem to be ever expanding. Every time we look at a magazine or turn on the television there’s a feature about someone’s weightloss or gain.

After three years of feeling trapped in a vicious cycle of negative feelings around weight I noticed something. All these stories in the media and all these diets on the internet, and indeed my attentions, have all been mainly focussing on physical things.
Food, calories, when to eat, what to eat, how much to eat etc…
Although this is all very important, what about harnessing the power of the mind and a different perspective. One which is not based on the frustrations of your past, and very importantly not from a perspective of negative emotions or vibrations.

In the past I have been guilty of hating myself.
Scientists have now observed that every cell in our bodies responds to our emotions. Our cells come to expect, and indeed ask us for more of those same emotions.
When those cells that have become used to self hatred divide, the new cells are made with even more self hatred receptors. Those self hatred receptors begin to dominate the space in the cell that would previously have been used for receiving nutrients. And so our self hate or negative feelings about weight and our body image, actually manifest more self hatred and thus more weight gain, less absorption of nutrients and therefore accelerated aging and overall decline in physical and emotional health.

I highly recommend watching the movie “What the bleep do we know” for inspiration and a scientific description of what I have mentioned above. It really touched and inspired me.

I also recommend the movie “The Secret”, which is about the law of attraction. If applying the advice in this film to weight loss, you would stop focussing on the negative emotions of not wanting to be fat, and begin to imagine yourself slim and happy, and feeling grateful living the life you want.

I have entitled this piece The self respect diet because when those words came to me, I understood how to begin the transformation of my body and my life.
What ,how, when and why would the slim self respecting and happy me eat?
What would the confident me who trusts and RESPECTS my own ability to find INNER PEACE without food sex drugs alcohol or other EXTERNAL stimulants do?
How would that me, walk , talk, laugh, be, live?

I have read that how you see the world is how you see yourself. So ask yourself that question, how do you see the world? I saw it as an insecure chaotic and scary place full of fear and injustice and lack. Now that I understand that we all create our own reality, this view of the world no longer serves me well.
I have also read and come to believe that we see what we describe, not describe what we see. So if I keep telling myself that I fear being fat and putting on even more weight and focussing on that emotion, all I will do is create more and more opportunities to reinforce that reality, to reinforce that fear and that frustration and the feeling of wanting to be slim. The answer for me became clear after becoming aware of the law of attraction as explained through quantum mechanics and a spiritual understanding in the previously mentioned two films, (and also in some great books that I’m reading). Instead of focussing on feeling bad about being fat, I had to focus on the feeling of already being slim. I created vision boards that I looked at every day, which included a picture of a slim body that I cut out of a magazine, with my head stuck on the top. I know it sounds funny, and at first I did laugh about it but, the subconscious mind does not know the difference between imagined experiences and real ones. Either way, whatever we put into our minds and focus our attentions on, our body will then respond to on a molecular level. Each day my body looks more and more like the picture on my vision board, it works.

It is no wonder that I had become out of shape and unhealthy, I had spent years without truly loving or respecting myself. In fact it is a wonder that I was not in a far worse physical state after all the fear, pity, self hatred, alcohol and stimulant abuse I had inflicted upon my body. The body that stuck with me and did it’s best to keep supporting me through thick and thin.

So the picture I cut out of the magazine and stuck on my vision board which I look at everyday is the me that respects and loves myself, the me that smiles and attracts health in to my life by focussing my attention on it. Since quantum mechanic’s says that all possibilities exsist at once, then that self respecting slim smiling me can be my reality if I choose it. Of course by focussing on health and self love, I am naturally attracted to give my body what it needs and wants, and less of what it doesn’t. If I come from a perspective of love respect and inner peace, then healthy choices also come naturally. I am now eating what I want, but of course if I truly love and respect myself then what I want to eat has changed. I am on the Atkin’s diet because I know that my healthy body wants to loose that excess weight. It does not want self hatred. When I walk down the street I feel myself walking in my new slim healthy body, not in the old self loathing one that wobbled around.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 16:55

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Wow, all I can say is wow! That is truely profound... I thoroughly believe that it all begins with loving ourselves and showing ourselves that love every day....

Have a beautiful day...

TJ

Last edited by skeeweeaka : Wed, Jun-25-08 at 19:24.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 17:00

Plan: My Own
Stats: 215/212/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

This is wonderful!

I am going to take a little time every day to envision myself and the world as I would like it to be. I already do something similar, in being mindful of when things go right (like getting in the short line at the grocery store, or when the lights change in your favor). And when I am challenged to choose: healthy or unhealthy, kind or unkind, industrious or lazy; I am going to think about that ideal and what -she- would do. Because that's really what loving ourselves is, isn' t it? Working towards our ideals?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 22:33

Plan: primal blueprint
Stats: 226/000/000 Female 5' 3"
BF:36
Progress: 100%

Yes. It is. It is also looking at ourselves in the moment and appreciating every pore, every cell, every pound of us and having some feelings of warm regard for ourselves. I suppose there's a balance between meditating on how wonderful I am and tracking all those baby steps to the life I want.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 08:26

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Wow...AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 08:37

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:

Thanks for sharing this, Mint T. It's right on track with what I've been thinking about lately.

I'm also working on loving myself. It's hard to do. The hardest thing was to admit that I just don't like myself very much and that effects how I treat myself and others.

According to Miguel Ruiz's The Four Agreements, we're to be "impeccable with our word." By that he doesn't necessarily mean "keep your word" or "don't lie." He means don't talk negatively about people - including yourself. He suggests that we stop saying the things we usually say - "I'm not good enough" "I'm fat" "I'm stupid" etc. - and start telling yourself how wonderful you are. Really hard to do. And even harder to put the feeling behind it as suggested in The Secret.

I've had to step outside of myself and try to see me through a stranger's eyes. I've asked myself, "Would I hate me if I were someone else? If I met someone like me, would I hate her?" I've answered, "No, I really wouldn't hate myself if I were another person I was meeting." It's helped me to find positive things about myself to focus on. It's also helped me to have more compassion for myself. I'd never tear a stranger/friend/family member down the way I abuse myself.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 14:02

Hey really great stuff, all of you. All of us!

One thing I'm doing to reinforce feeling thin in the now is to hire a personal trainer and get into the gym for weight training. I figure if I'm stronger, I'll feel lighter...

Another notch. Another baby step. I hope it works! I get so scared. I alternate between elated and scared - I think I can call it Magic Bullet Syndrome - every time I introduce a new habit, I have to be sooooo careful to remember that there are no magic bullets, no singular answers...and to stay on a positive tip, too.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-08, 16:44
Registered Member

Stats: 167/156.2/140 Female 176cm
BF:

Thank you all for your reply's, I'm quite new to this forum and I'm really enjoying it.

It's great being able to discuss these things with people who can relate to what I've been through.

I do really feel that I've been on a spiritual journey recently, I have discovered the power of meditation, after years of my friends telling me to try it, now I finally understand what it's for. To silence the chaos of the conscious mind and the ego, to begin creating the reality you choose. To stop negative thoughts and carefully choose positive ones that elevate your emotions and get you tuned in to higher vibrations such as beauty and love and creativity.

I knew I needed to get a grip of my mind and not just my diet when I considered the concept that the body is a physical manifestation, or metaphor, of what's going on in the mind.

Any way, I sound like such a hippy, but this is what I'm going through, and I feel liberated, and 6lbs lighter so far-wohooo.

Self love works, and we are all one, so love to you all xx

P.S.
Good luck with the personal trainer Tangy, I find exercise is easier when I love myself, and when I do it with an attitude of gratitude, and it makes me feel lighter too!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 00:03

thanks! it went well. i have a few mantras that i've been using for a long time - "just show up" is one of them. and i've always believed that my body tells the world what i believe about myself.

my beliefs about myself have been changing in the last few years and this past week i've been reflecting on how much i have changed...mostly because i made some effort to be nicer to myself. the need for my outsides to reflect my insides has grown to the point where i have to take action or the disconnect will spritually crush me.

there's a synergy between doing and feeling, and i often get too busy doing and thinking about all the stuff i should be doing to engage in being or feeling. i may have to learn to meditate - i hear it's a great way to integrate mind/body/soul
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 11:38

Stats: 182.4/175.8/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangy
I get so scared. I alternate between elated and scared

You took the words out of my mouth on that one, I just wanted to let you know. The alternating, it's crazy.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 14:34
Registered Member

Stats: 226/195/160 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 55%

I have "The secrets" But never finish reading it. I'm going to finish it. My self esteem is so low...