Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 09:11
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 238/238/128 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress:
Default Rachel Hellers book The Stress Eating Cure..

Have you all read the latest book by the Hellers called "The Stress Eating Cure"? I downloaded it on my Kindle and its very interesting. It says to eat a big breakfast to help your stress hormones and its starts out with a big breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, late snack and Rachel slowly changes the menu's until you only eat starchy carbs or sweets at one meal, but you still get two snacks and an alternate meal if you do not want to eat big breakfast. Ive always heard eating a large breakfast is a good idea.

Anyone here read the book and if so, do you follow it and did you lose weight on it? Im thinking of trying it...Oh no mention of the one hour rule in this book, only that eating a big breakfast is the best. barb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 13:18
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi arb-
I read the book. It is basically the same Heller plan- 2 meals of only protein/veggies and one balanced meal of protein/veggies/carbs. The change is to have the carb meal in the am.
I was sad to read this book, as it tells of Rachel Heller's personal struggles even while writing the other books,. I am on CALP and it works for me- so I have not tried this.
If you decide to try it I'm sure we'd be very interested in how you do!
E
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 15:21
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Yes it was sad that Rachel still had problems after losing all the weight, but it was hormonal or so that is the theory of their research.

I will let you know if I decide to try it, but doing the reward meal for breakfast might make it hard to stick with the plan, I have no idea. A big breakfast and a lowcarb lunch of salad with cheese, lean grilled chicken, reg. salad dressing (that would be heaven not having to eat ff salad dressing) and then if I have an appetite, a nice grilled salmon maybe, with lots of veggies and cobb salad, and doubt I would want an evening snack. If I could lose weight this way, it would be so great. Im struggling with carbs right now and cravings and got out my Carb Addict books and reading them again. I keep coming back to this eating plan. I know Im a severe carb addict and heading for diabetes if I don't do something drastic.

I admire you for maintaining your weight all these years on CAD, it really has worked for you and I know many others. I have never really given it much of a chance because of believing lowfat is the way to go and Im still fat, hmmm I wonder why? lol. I admire and like Rachel very much and wish she could be my doctor. ...thanks for talking to me barb
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 15:40
Registered Member

Plan: happily enjoying CALP
Stats: 236/215/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv_lady_us
Yes it was sad that Rachel still had problems after losing all the weight, but it was hormonal or so that is the theory of their research.

I will let you know if I decide to try it, but doing the reward meal for breakfast might make it hard to stick with the plan, I have no idea. A big breakfast and a lowcarb lunch of salad with cheese, lean grilled chicken, reg. salad dressing (that would be heaven not having to eat ff salad dressing) and then if I have an appetite, a nice grilled salmon maybe, with lots of veggies and cobb salad, and doubt I would want an evening snack. If I could lose weight this way, it would be so great. Im struggling with carbs right now and cravings and got out my Carb Addict books and reading them again. I keep coming back to this eating plan. I know Im a severe carb addict and heading for diabetes if I don't do something drastic.

I admire you for maintaining your weight all these years on CAD, it really has worked for you and I know many others. I have never really given it much of a chance because of believing lowfat is the way to go and Im still fat, hmmm I wonder why? lol. I admire and like Rachel very much and wish she could be my doctor. ...thanks for talking to me barb

No I haven't read the book. I am T2 diabetic and I told my doctor that I couldn't eat a lot of carbs as it raised my BG readings too high. He said for me to eat them earlier in the day. I really do my own modified version of Atkins/CAD/CALP. Just take the best ideas of the lowcarbing and make them work with CAD/CALP. I really don't think I could stick with the plan if I had my starchy carbs for breakast. I eat my RM sometime between 2 or 3 in the afternoon and it seems to work for me depending on what the starchy carb is. I figure that if I really want a carby RM type breakfast that I can have it in the afternoon at 2 or 3. Just what works for me.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 16:50
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi back, Barb.
It is not the fat- it is the carbs. You have to decide that for yourself.
I make all of my own salad dressings- all with real fats (olive oil) and they are good. When I eat out I have either blue cheese or caesar- no problems.
BALANCE in the RM was key for me....
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 11:06
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks pattygirl and Eno for your input. Patty looks like what you are doing is working for you, and keep up the good work. Eno I figure it is the carbs. Ive always known I had a problem with simple carbs. They say the complex carbs don't raise blood sugar, but they must or Rachel would allow them on the complimentary meals. barb
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 12:28
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi Barb-
I think there must be a misunderstanding someplace- ALL carbs cause your body to release insulin. All carbs increase blood glucose. The more refined the carbs, the faster the rise. The amount of the rise depends on how much you eat, and in what combination of foods, and your own physiology.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-11, 10:11

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

I am surprised that they have another book since last I knew they were just trying to fill every minute w fun stuff due to Rachel's brain lesion (?). Or something like that.
How's her health now? Anybody know?

I wonder if they ever included zucchini in the vegie list. I always felt that the exclusion was an error since zucchs are mostly water and contain similar carb count to many acceptabel vegies.
I was also wondered why broccoli was considered a vegie that could induce cravings....it is such a staple w lc'ers.

I could never have a big breakfast as it would just ruin my day.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-11, 08:14

Stats: 167/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
I am surprised that they have another book since last I knew they were just trying to fill every minute w fun stuff due to Rachel's brain lesion (?). Or something like that.
How's her health now? Anybody know?

I searched everywhere for info about a brain lesion. I don't see this information anywhere on the web.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-11, 18:11

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Psychologically, I could never do a breakfast RM as a long-term thing. Yes, I know it's emotional, but I work hard all day and at the end of the day, I have my "reward". (Yup, exactly like when I was seven.) I also feel a bit sleepy after carbs and it's much better that I feel sleepy in the evening than in the morning.

Different things work for different people, so if you want to try a morning RM, give it a go! It just might work for you.