Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 18:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins~Induction
Stats: 176/167/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Unhappy VERY premature menopause and weight loss..

I was diagnosed with premature ovarian failure (meno) at age 22. I am now 25 and have been on hormone replacement therapy since to prevent damage to my health due to my body not making estrogen. There is no cause to my POF that can be found and my cycles were very normal prior to my dx.

I've read in the Atkins book regarding HRT and even anti-depressants causing difficulties losing weight. I am also on the anti-depressants as I struggle to deal with my infertility and my new life with POF.

Are the problems the same with younger (or WAAAAAY younger) women who are also on HRT affecting weight loss? Just curious..

Jessica
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 16:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 226/209/170 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Nobody knows sounds new to me
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 18:32

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

So sorry to hear that!

I am not on HRT, but since you haven't gotten many replies yet maybe this helps.

I know that taking synthetic hormones, even birth control pills, can really affect weight loss, not to mention increase cancer risk. What sort of HRT are you on? Perhaps you could get a prescription for a bioidentical version of estradiol, bioidentical progesterone is sold over the counter, and supplement with these in the proper dosages and that might help. Schwarzbein discusses the importance of using this kind of hormone in her books, especially SPII. Be aware that your fat cells can manufacture a certain amount of estrogen on their own. Supposedly the bioidentical hormones carry fewer side-effects (like WEIGHT GAIN) than the synthetic stuff doctors usually prescribe. Your doctor should be able to help you with dosages, I hope he/she is willing to work with you on these things. Thank God my mother finally found a decent (modern!) doctor who took her off Premarin; she feels great taking just the natural progesterone alone, and she has no ovaries at all left! I can't believe they actually give women mare's piss (sorry, rant!)