Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: GO-Diet
Stats: 164/133.4/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Colostrum Supplement

Has anyone ever tried Bovine Colostrum supplement?

I've started using Bovine (cow) Colostrum Plus. According to everything I'm reading, Colostrum (which is the first milk right after birth for mammals), has so many benefits, that it seems too good to be true. But I am willing to try to see if this will help me lose weight and also get rid of my allergies, which it claims can be done. They claim it relieves everything for allergies to relieving multiple sclerosis symptoms. The first site below, will give you information from a prominent Colostrum maker (Symbiotics), where the cows come from New Zealand (no pesticides used in their food, etc.). The second site is the best price I could find for the products. It's not cheap, but if it can do all it claims it can do, it's worth it! Has anyone heard anything about this?

http://www.symbiotics.com

http://www.metafoods.com/colostrum/plus.htm

Hopefully I won't start desiring to eat grass from some farmers field
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 16:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi! I've heard of it, but don't know much about it. I'll just recommend that you do NOT take the word of the companies trying to sell it to you.

I did a google search on it, and the only pages that came up were a sea of affiliate pages. If the benefits are in the immunoglobulins and other proteins, they'd be destroyed in your stomach. I used to work in a hospital lab, and patients who needed immunoglobulins were transfused with it - they can't turn it into a pill.

I looked at the Symbiotics website, and their main "research" was a case study of only four people! It sounds impressive that three out of four improved, but you could have given them placebos and they might have improved, anyway. It's only three people. *Bad Science.* Then there's the study of althetic performance, but they didn't even state the results. If it does improve performance, it's probably just because it's a really good source of protein - that's it.

Be wary of claims that it will cure the incurable: I'm sure if it really conquered MS or allergies, it would be all over the news.