Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 18:48
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Homemade Mayonnaise Revisited

I know there are a ton of homemade mayo recipes out there, so I've never posted mine here before. Not that special really............until yesterday.

Just as an experiment, I used half Louana Natural Coconut Oil (has no flavor or smell of coconut) for half the olive oil I normally use in my recipe. When it was done, it seemed to be thicker or have more body than usual. But the magic really occurred overnight!! As usual, I put the leftover portion in a glass jar in my fridge door and got it out tonight to make up some shawarma mayo for our sliced tomatoes and MAN, it was super thick, just like commercial mayo!! Thick enough it would not drip off your sandwich, a common complaint about homemade mayo!

FYI: My Walmart is carrying the Louana Coconut Oil right alongside all the other oils and shortenings. The Louana is also nice for sauteing when you don't want any coconut flavor to come through in a particular recipe.

So here's my recipe for Homemade Mayonnaise, pictured here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2009/0...ade-mayonnaise/

Homemade mayonnaise is usually not quite as thick as commercial and doesn’t keep as well, so make a fresh jar up every 7-10 days. To all the salmonella naysayers (including my mother)……….all I can say is I’ve been making this for about 15 years now and I’m still alive and kicking and have never had salmonella poisoning in my life! This is how the French, the inventors of mayonnaise, have made it for centuries!

This recipe is Induction friendly. Of course, this makes an excellent base for salad dressings. There are so many thing you can add for different dressings! Be Creative! I’ve shown some of my favorite additives below. If you like a thicker mayonnaise, you can substitute in some Louana coconut oil (this one has no coconut smell or flavor and NO trans fat!) for part of the olive oil, but no more than 50% or it will get TOO thick!

INGREDIENTS:

1 c. olive oil (or ½ c. olive oil + ½ c. Louana coconut oil)
1 egg
1 T. chopped yellow onion
Dash each of salt, black pepper, garlic powder
5-10 drops vinegar of your choice (or lemon juice)

DIRECTIONS:

Place egg and chopped onion into blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. The making of the emulsion is done with repeated taps of the “pulse” button on your machine. With oil in a pourable container, SLOWLY start pouring oil in thin stream into the egg mixture, pulsing every couple seconds. I pour with one hand and pulse with the other. Repeat until all oil is incorporated into the mixture. Finally add all seasonings and vinegar and pulse 1-2 more times. Transfer to lidded glass jar and keep refrigerated. I find it keeps around 10-14 days before I just toss out any that’s left and make a fresh batch. It is normal for it to slightly darken on the surface, so just give it a stir before each use. You’ll know when it has gone bad as it will start to separate, discolor and have an off odor.

In hundreds of batches now, I’ve only had this fail on me two times, if that is encouraging……but it CAN happen. If the mixture just doesn’t emulsify properly for you just use it for salad dressings or other recipes rather than for mayo. It will still have a good flavor.

Use your own imagination, but some things I’ve added to my mayo to make it exciting or for a salad dressing are:

1 tsp. my chicken shawarma spice blend

½ c. chopped cilantro, seeded jalapeno & more onion

½ seeded chipotle pepper in adobo sauce & minced garlic

1-2 T. chopped sun-dried tomatoes

dab regular tomato paste

½ tsp. chili powder & minced garlic

½ avocado & 1 seeded jalapeno

¼ c. chopped black olives & 1-2 T.olive oil

Anchovy paste from a tube

NUTRITIONAL INFO:

Makes about 20 Tablespoons, each containing:

99.25 calories
11.05 g fat
.08 g carbs, .01 g fiber, .07 g NET CARBS
.32 g protein
8 mg. sodium

Last edited by Buttoni : Thu, Aug-11-11 at 19:08.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-11, 12:35
Patience Personified

I think after several days in the fridge, this is a little too thick, so I'm going to just use ¼ c. Louana oil and 3/4 c. olive oil next time. It's not too thick for sandwiches and recipes, but a little thick for salad dressing use. I have so changed the recipe on my website
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 10:00
Patience Personified

Last batch I made I only used 1 T. of the coconut oil and I think this is the perfect ratio now.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 10:10

Plan: <50g a day, gluten-free
Stats: 202.8/180.6/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 38%

I've been wanting to make my own mayo for ages but have been intimidated by the idea. Do you melt your coconut oil first to get it liquid, or pulse in the solidified, buttery oil?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 12:56
Patience Personified

I warm it a couple seconds in the microwave so it's liquid and add it right into the olive oil before I start pulsing it into the egg mixture. Oh, don't be intimidated by making it. One of the easiest things I do in the kitchen really. In 20 years I've only had I think two batches not emulsify properly.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 13:02

Plan: <50g a day, gluten-free
Stats: 202.8/180.6/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 38%

Ok - I am going to buy some good eggs and try it tonight! Fingers crossed - and thanks for the recipe!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 07:30
Patience Personified

Good luck with it. Hope it goes as well for you as it does me.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 10:13

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Now why didn't I think of that! What a great idea! I think you've solved the problem of the too thin mayo, which is why I just buy it - with all it's yucky ingredients. Thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 13:41
Patience Personified

Please note that I am only using 1 T. Louana Coconut oil in the final version or this recipe. I can no longer edit the top post here (one reason I REALLY don't like copy/pasting them here). When I make changes, I doubt seriously I'm going to always remember to keep coming back to recipes pasted here and make notations as to errors or improvements in ingredients.

Please go to my site at the link in the first post here for the final version.

Last edited by Buttoni : Wed, Sep-07-11 at 13:47.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 16:21

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I saw the changes. Thanks.

I thought one could always and forever edit their own posts, though. Learn something new every day.