Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 12:59

Plan: Optimal diet/One free day
Stats: 300/175/165 Male 5ft9in
BF:
Progress: 93%

For Jimmy it could also be smaller meals keeping his insulin lower thruout the day.One can control blood sugar just by glycemic index alone.If you then use GI and lower your total carb intake you get even better glucose control.If protein also causes insulin secretion then same effect from too large an amount at one sitting

Just look at whey shakes,large amount of super fast absorbing protein and your blood sugar drops from the large insulin surge.This shouldn't happen since our bodies have a mechanism to prevent this in form of protein also causing glucagon to be released.Doesn't happen to everyone as many people have good blood glucose control but I get loopy on a pure whey shake.Could be a test to see how out of wack your Glucose tolerance is??

I feel he lost the weight from a few effects coming together.Smaller meals and total calories kept in check allows for stable insulin thruout the day and no excess of food to store.
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 13:10

Plan: My own
Stats: 165/144/135 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Yeah, I had a friend who lost 170 pounds on low carb. It took her several years and many long stalls - and each time she seemed to have to cut out more foods to be able to start losing. For her first 100+ pounds she kept losing steadily eating anything LC that she wanted, but eventually she had to cut out most nuts, most veggies, most meats, eggs, dairy. Towards the end she was basically eating only chicken, walnuts and a couple different green veggies to maintain her weight. If she added *anything else* in she started to gain again.

Yikes! That's scary. I think I'd rather be overweight. Love food too much...
  #243   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 14:55

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstrike
For Jimmy it could also be smaller meals keeping his insulin lower thruout the day.One can control blood sugar just by glycemic index alone.If you then use GI and lower your total carb intake you get even better glucose control.If protein also causes insulin secretion then same effect from too large an amount at one sitting.
This is what I think too. a 3-egg meal is quite different from a meal of 1/2 pound ground beef plus 2 ounces of cheese. What little we have on the insulin index tells us that eggs are among the lowest proteins for raising insulin, where beef and cheese are the highest. So the beef meal could raise insulin what, 3 times as much as the eggs (if you count tin insulin index effect)

3 eggs = 21 g protein
8 oz beef, raw, plus 2 oz cheese = 53 g protein

Maybe long times between meals could offset that effect.

Last edited by Seejay : Tue, Apr-27-10 at 15:38.
  #244   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 15:18

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

yeah that is scary - but there is no way I'm cutting out anything else I can tell you. For me I always thought dairy was dodgy and it WAS weird how my weight would go ballistic up and down all the time I was eating it. But yeah, going and cutting out just about all other foods seems crazy - I don't think I would ever do that. Gluten was a biggy for me, dairy has actually been even harder. But everything else STAYS, gain or lose.
  #245   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 16:34

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOPS
yeah that is scary - but there is no way I'm cutting out anything else I can tell you. For me I always thought dairy was dodgy and it WAS weird how my weight would go ballistic up and down all the time I was eating it. But yeah, going and cutting out just about all other foods seems crazy - I don't think I would ever do that. Gluten was a biggy for me, dairy has actually been even harder. But everything else STAYS, gain or lose.
Yes, I would like to try to keep my food base as broad as possible! I do still eat dairy, but so far so good. I've lost 10 pounds in the last month while buying (and consuming) a quart of raw heavy cheese every other week, and still eating cheeses, though mostly raw-milk cheese or cheese from grass-fed cows.

Though the supermarket where I shop caters to a largely Hispanic and Caribbean crowd, and my new favorite cheese has become "queso de freir" which I love to fry up in some coconut oil or bacon grease.

But I *have* eliminated gluten and other grains. And right now I am also experimenting with eliminating nightshades, as documented in my blog to see if it helps with the terrible arthritic pain in my left knee. So far so good! I'm gonna cheat that orthopedist out of his fee for knee replacement surgery yet.
  #246   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: The Metabolism Miracle
Stats: 201.5/201.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Well, speaking of Jimmy Moore, I didn't particularly care for him bashing the eating plan I'm on (The Metabolism Miracle), because he doesn't agree with the author's recommendation of lower fat items. His podcast with the author was cordial enough, but he blasts her recommendations later on his blog and forums.

And he laments why South Beach author Arthur Agatston won't be interviewed for his blog!

There's room enough for all of us.
  #247   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 21:53
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvtea
There's room enough for all of us.

I agree.
  #248   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-10, 07:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/175/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvtea
Well, speaking of Jimmy Moore, I didn't particularly care for him bashing the eating plan I'm on (The Metabolism Miracle), because he doesn't agree with the author's recommendation of lower fat items. His podcast with the author was cordial enough, but he blasts her recommendations later on his blog and forums. .

How's it working for you? Is it a fast weight loss? I am not familiar with the plan. TIA.
  #249   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-10, 08:19

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrn122
How's it working for you? Is it a fast weight loss? I am not familiar with the plan. TIA.

From the website it looks like a typical "mainstream friendly" low-carb diet.

Patrick
  #250   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-10, 11:58

Plan: Optimal diet/One free day
Stats: 300/175/165 Male 5ft9in
BF:

MAny LC diets can work.If you have exceptional insulin sensitivity then eating more protein relative to carbs(with fat kept very low)will put you in fat burning mode.The higher protein offsets the insulin with its glucagon release.So the more or less insulin you secrete can be managed with just lowering of carbs and upping protein.

But there are varying degrees of insulin sensitivity.Many of us here are very insulin resistance and a low fat diet spells death for us.Even if we up the protein by large amount and hence lower carbs we still decline.We need to up the fat.My point is not everyone needs to do this.

Here is how bad my glucose tolerance is.Yesterday I had a soda before my workout.Then I had a ham and egg sandwich.Usual fare for me but I broke and then had a huge carrot muffin,a HUGE danish and a light and sweet coffee as I was headed back to my station.By the time I hit my station I knew I committed a bad thing.My whole body seemed to blow up and I was having trouble breathing.I went home and spent 6 hours trying desperatley to stablize my blood sugar.Every hour it would bonk and a piece of cheese seemed to offer relief for a bit.6 hours of torture since my blood sugar crashes hard.

This morning I ate 4eggs,2oz potato in 3 tbsps butter and felt so much better.My point is I have found that I can tolerate the can of soda and a kaiser roll in addition to my meals,eaten every other day around my workout time.

Seejay,you are very correct in your saying that beef is way high in insulin index scale.On bodybuilding forums so many people rave of the power of beef based amino acids.I recommended to them that beef is very insulinogenic and many agreed it could be why it works so well.Even pro bodybuilders say they grow better on same amount of protein if its beef as compared to say chicken or fish.But again its all up to individuals body since we all have varying glucose tolerance.For fatties I am thinking beef might be bad while for naturally thin(low insulin)people I think a high beef and high glycemic diet works best.

EDIT<<I get amazing results with my soda and roll around workout time when I use Vanadyl Sulfate.I recently used it on and off and difference is amazing.When I use it the water goes to my muscles and when I skip it my belly starts to bloat out.
  #251   ^
Old Sat, May-01-10, 20:08
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Taken from JMs April 28th menu blog:

Quote:
I'm feeling great these days with nothing really bothering me physically. It's like my body is happy to be properly fueled with the fat it needs for energy with just enough protein and very few carbs to run optimally. I like the fact that I'm healthy, shedding the pounds (slowly but surely), and consuming foods that I know are good for me without a doubt. Those people who have been critical of my menus in the past because of the diet sodas or low-carb products can no longer say I'm not eating a solid "clean" low-carb diet anymore. Other than the dairy foods I consume, you could say I'm eating pretty Paleo right now. And that's just the way I like it!

LC, VLC, ZC whatever....finally, I think he may have finally made the paradigm shift. I'm so happy for him.

I'm rootn' for ya Jimmy!!
  #252   ^
Old Thu, May-06-10, 08:47
Every day is day one

BF:

Taken from JMs menu blog 5/5/10:

Quote:
NOTE: I'm excited about the progress of my recent focus on consuming the highest quality of real, whole foods I can find. It's still not a perfect diet, but it's a whole heckuva lot better one that I was eating the past six years and certainly light years ahead of the Standard American Diet (SAD) I was consuming prior to 2004 as a 400-pound behemoth of a man. But I don't regret the transition it took for me to go from that morbidly obese state into the smaller size I am now. Some people scoff at the notion that you do things like add artificial sweeteners instead of sugar, substitute favorite high-carb foods with low-carb alternatives, etc. because they say it feeds your addiction to carbohydrates. But I disagree.

My personal experience has shown me that those things are an outstanding way to NOT feel deprived while you are transitioning from eating crappy to eating healthier. When I was 410 pounds, I literally didn't care about what I put in my mouth because it didn't seem to matter inside my head. But when I turned to the Atkins diet to help me take the weight off (and subsequently get my health in line), all of a sudden my mind did a complete 180 and I suddenly became acutely aware of everything I was putting inside my body. It was as if a light switch was turned on and instantly I could see the fallacy of my old eating habits. It was an awakening of sorts that helped me become highly successful in my weight loss efforts and why you know who I am today.

In March 2010, the next phase of my journey took hold and a newfound awakening happened allowing the light to be turned on about the foods I added to my low-carb lifestyle over the past five years and I could see it was filled with a lot of junk. As much as I loved regularly consuming my beloved diet soda, sugar-free chocolate, low-carb pasta, low-carb ice cream, and all the other replacement foods that made low-carb enjoyable for me the past six years, those foods are not what we were intended to be consuming as the mainstay of our low-carb diet--EVER! I know, I know...I've been one of the leading low-carb junk food junkies for a long time and I'm here to say nobody should be eating these things ALL THE TIME. Perhaps once in a while it's not a big deal but several times a week or every single day? Not appropriate if you are attempting to be as healthy as possible.

With the light shining brightly on this aspect of my low-carb life, I couldn't help but change my habits. They had become somewhat sloppy again albeit with low-carb foods instead. So doing my eggfest a couple of months ago started a new transition for me away from relying on things like diet soda and all the other sugar-free, low-carb stuff that I had introduced into my life and towards fine-tuning my diet to prefer grass-fed beef, pastured eggs, grass-fed butter, quality cheeses, a few natural spices, some green leafy veggies, and water instead. Unless you've been through this journey yourself, you can't imagine how incredible it feels to make this kind of switch. It's monumental for me and I'm still in the midst of making it take hold in my life so that I can benefit both my weight and my health. The weight loss started fast and has slowed down, but that doesn't matter to me as much as allowing the good habits to take hold and stay there for life. That's my pursuit.

The argument could be made to just go all the way with your diet changes and more power to ya if you can pull that off. But I know for Jimmy Moore and others out there that this is a process that we all need to determine the perfect timing for us. Rushing into it too soon will only lead to discouragement and ultimate failure with discontentment about the process leading right back to poor dietary habits again. Although it is possible to make these changes later than need be, it's a whole lot better to be late than never. Yes, I'm probably late transitioning to the next phase in my lifestyle change, but I think the time has taught me what is right and what is wrong. I'll never claim that I have arrived and anyone who does has a rude awakening coming someday. But what I am is aware. Aware of my surroundings, aware of what's best for me at this moment in my life, aware that I hold the power to change and am making that change happen. The time is now for me. How about you?

Yeah!!! The light HAS gone on!!!!

It's too bad that it took 50+ gain.

The other thing is, I wish he would put this on his main page where most people end up when searching low carb.

I wonder what all his LC junk sponsers are thinking?

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #253   ^
Old Thu, May-06-10, 08:54
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Taken from JMs menu blog 5/5/10:

Yeah!!! The light HAS gone on!!!!

It's too bad that it took 50+ gain.

The other thing is, I wish he would put this on his main page where most people end up when searching low carb.

I wonder what all his LC junk sponsers are thinking?

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Thanks for bringing this over here Lisa!
It truly is about time that Jimmy has seen the light.
Yes, we each need to see and do things in our own time frame...but his time frame for "getting it" was hurting things for the low carb community in general.
So yeah, good for you Jimmy!
You got it!
  #254   ^
Old Thu, May-06-10, 08:58

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

Hey guys- it is on his main page now. I am very happy for him. I've had the pleasure of briefly emailing w/ him and he is such a kind, helpful and giving person. I'm happy he's losing weight and eating clean.
  #255   ^
Old Thu, May-06-10, 09:24
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne!
Hey guys- it is on his main page now. I am very happy for him. I've had the pleasure of briefly emailing w/ him and he is such a kind, helpful and giving person. I'm happy he's losing weight and eating clean.

Where?

I just went there and couldn't find it.