Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 13:09
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 180/148/130 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:unknown
Progress: 64%
Default What Do You Eat;

Hi All, I am looking for new ideas for meals. I am allergic to wheat gluten and dairy, so that precludes quite a bit of processed foods. Of course that leaves quite a bit of foods also. Before readopting low carb in August I depended alot on beans. Lately I've been doing stir frys and soups. Anyone else have this problem if so how do you get around it? Judy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 22:13

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi Judy,

Here are some meal ideas that I thought maybe you could try or maybe you have tried these! I am a diary lover though so most of my menus won't work for ya!

- Caulifried rice - I use a meat substitute with this for protein
- Veggie fajitas - grilled veggies, salsa, and guacamole in a lc tortilla
- Variety of salads - last night I had one with broccoli, avacado, and pecans for example with oil and vinegar and touch of splenda and mustard dressing
- I see you said you eat a lot of soups, the Italian Wedding Soup on this site is really good. I use it with veggie meatballs.
- taco salad
- roasted poblano peppers stuffed with scrambled eggs and topped with a tomato sauce
- tofu and veggies in peanut sauce
- sometimes we take some of the lc bread out of the freezer and make french toast for dinner

Well hope that helps! looking forward to hearing others suggestions!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 23:59
Registered Member

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply. You have some great ideas, I will have to find some non gluten ways to make LC Tortilla shells, and the meat balls. Otherwise most of your other ideas were excellent. Maybe I could make crepes with soy powder, whey and ground nuts and fill them with grilled veggies. That's always a challenge to find a non toxic but delicious substitute. I will take your suggestions and work with them. Judy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 12:19

BF:

HEre is another recipe of a soup I love. It is pretty fatty so I try not to eat it too often but once in a while it is tasty!

http://soup.allrecipes.com/az/TmtChddrSp.asp

Another idea for a salad is sometimes we make seven layer salad only with a sprinkling of peas.

in the past too sometimes I have just had a boiled artichoke with a sauce to dip sometimes for a meal.

I hope someone else replies also for your sake Judy!! Good luck!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 13:29

BF:

Sorry Judy I just realized I recommended a soup with dairy!!

well sorry for my brain fart, and good luck with hearing other replies!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 02:07

Plan: Vegetarian - my own
Stats: 155/145/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm not much of a cook but one of the easiest things (and tastiest) is just slicing up some kind of sqash and then stir it with some garlic, butter, salt, and pepper. I also do it with eggplant and let it get slightly burnt. MMMM soo good! Some of my favorite ingredients for salads are artichoke hearts, cucumbers, broccoli, ah there's a ton of stuff. My brain isnt working right now but I'll post some more stuff when I get it in gear. I always am able to find good recipes on the recipe forum here, you just have to be willing to modify stuff. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 11:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Judy, because of the gluten intolerance, take a look at besan (chickpea flour) for making crepes, lc tortillas and an out-of-this world pizza crust. I don't know if we're allowed to post recipes here, or if they need to be kept in the recipe forum--so moderators, if you need to move this post, apologies in advance !

This is my chickpea flour pizza crust. The nutrient info is for 5 crusts, but if you get 6 (sometimes I do) then obviously the ECC per crust is reduced. Hope this helps.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chickpea Flour Pizza Crust

Recipe By : Gaelen
Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : vegan, gluten-free

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup chickpea flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
3 tablespoons peanut oil

Sift the chickpea flour and salt together to remove all the lumps.

Beat half the water into the flour until it's a paste-like consistency, and lump-free. Slowly add in the rest of the water, until you have a pancake batter consistency. Set the batter aside for 30 minutes.

After the batter has rested, heat a small amount of the oil in an 8" frying pan or crepe pan. Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the hot oil, and fry about 2 minutes or until bubbles begin to form on the top side. The bottom will have golden brown patches. Drizzle a little oil on the top side and flip the crust, cooking for another minute on the second side. Remove the cooked crust/pancake to a paper towel to cool, and prepare the pan with oil to fry another. Continue until all the batter is gone--makes about five 6" pancakes or individual pizza crusts.

HERB VARIATION: after the entire amount of water is mixed into the batter, mix in 1 1/2 teaspoons dried herbs of your choice--oregano, basil, parsley, cilantro, or mixed Italian seasonings. If you have fresh herbs, mix in 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped rosemary, thyme, basil, cilantro, basil or parsley. You can also add in 1/2 tsp. ground spices that complement the herbs you choose--lemon zest, cumin, turmeric, etc. Cook as above.

Description:
"low carb, vegan"
Yield:
"5 crusts"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (1 pizza crust about 6" diameter): 140 Calories; 9g Fat (58.7% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 226mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0

Last edited by Gaelen : Sat, Feb-14-04 at 11:13.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 16:26
Registered Member

Thankyou Gaelen, My pre LC days I did alot with non gluten flours. I always thought you bhad to mix the flours to get a palatable consistency.I will try your suggestion, and let you know how it turns out. Judy
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 15:04
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Gaelen. No problem posting recipes here, but I copied it to the Bread and Baked Goods forum so others will see it, too. It looks good!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 16:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/206/160 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Judy: Do you know about Eden brand black soy beans? They are excellent, very high in fibre, and we use them a lot at our house! The nutritional breakdown per 1/2 cup is: cals: 120, Protein: 11g, Carbs: 8g, fibre: 7g. Pretty good, eh?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 17:37
Registered Member

Thankyou for everyone that has responded to me. Yes I bought a case of black soy beans. I use them in everything, chilli, bean and cheese burritos, beans and "rice" using either cauliflower for the rice or shredded parsnips. It has really opened up great possibilities. I have found as long as I take beano or something like that it has cut my allergic reaction to wheat ((YEAH.)) That in itself has opened a world of food for me. I did go and ask some questions on the neanderthin board and read the book, but I cannot adopt a meat eating lifestyle, it's been too many years since I have eaten like that. So I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I will keep all your suggestions and tips in mind and I should be fine. Has anybody ever noticed how long it takes to lose the last 10 to 15 pounds? It is really coming off slow. Judy