Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 06:15

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default tracking sleep

I've been noticing my sleep patterns (as much as I can) lately and was wondering if there is a device (not a smart phone) that tracks your sleep? I guess something you wear on your wrist.

I know I snore (my wife used to wake me up so that I could go back to sleep (on my side instead of my back)). And I also pop awake at odd times of the middle night.

I'm trying to get an appointment to get evaluated for sleep apnea - knowing how important it is to get a continuous 7 hours a night.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 06:41

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Many of the Fitbits track sleep. I wear a Fitbit Blaze that tracks my sleep.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 06:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Many of the Fitbits track sleep. I wear a Fitbit Blaze that tracks my sleep.
Thanks. What kind of data do you get? Does it work without a smart phone?

Last edited by s93uv3h : Sun, Jun-03-18 at 06:55.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 07:09

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have a smartphone but Fitbit can also sync with your computer, so no smartphone required. If you go to the Fitbit website it will give you all the info on what gets tracked. It tracks your sleep stages, awake time, light sleep, rem sleep, and deep sleep.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 07:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi. I have a Garmin Vivoactive, similar to a Fitbit. I use it with my iPhone, but I'm pretty sure it would work without a smartphone by just syncing it with the website when you plug it in to charge it. Not certain, though.

This is what the sleep data looks like:

It's pretty uncanny. It almost always picks up the exact time I fall asleep, wake up, and toss and turn. I just keep it in the back of my mind if I was awake at some point holding very still, and it thinks I was asleep. I'm not sure how useful this is when your issue is breathing and/or snoring, though. Maybe get a model that measures heart rate? Mine only does so with the chest strap, and it was a hassle trying to get it to take the data all night.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 10:19
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
I've been noticing my sleep patterns (as much as I can) lately and was wondering if there is a device (not a smart phone) that tracks your sleep? I guess something you wear on your wrist.

I know I snore (my wife used to wake me up so that I could go back to sleep (on my side instead of my back)). And I also pop awake at odd times of the middle night.

I'm trying to get an appointment to get evaluated for sleep apnea - knowing how important it is to get a continuous 7 hours a night.

If you end up getting a CPAP for the sleep apnea, that will track your sleep. If you get one that tracks a lot of data (like a Philips Dreamstation), you can then use a freeware program for PC/Mac called SleepyHead to track and study all that data. It's pretty awesome.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 11:23

BF:

Thanks everyone!

#8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 11:14
Registered Member

Plan: Keto-ish
Stats: 339/286/245 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
If you end up getting a CPAP for the sleep apnea, that will track your sleep. If you get one that tracks a lot of data (like a Philips Dreamstation), you can then use a freeware program for PC/Mac called SleepyHead to track and study all that data. It's pretty awesome.

Thanks for mentioning that. I have a Dreamstation, and the phone app leaves a lot to be desired. I'll definitely look out for the third party programs.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 15:08
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susky2
Thanks for mentioning that. I have a Dreamstation, and the phone app leaves a lot to be desired. I'll definitely look out for the third party programs.

Yeah, the phone app is very basic. With SleepyHead you can actually visually see and track each and every breath you take throughout the night.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 17:32

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Saw an ENT today--for sinus blockage. ENT was concerned about quality of sleep--filled out 3 surveys. Talked about sleep study-- one I can do at home!!! That would be down the road---have a few marching orders to follow first to improve sleep over next 2 months.

I wish I had gone to see ENT sooner!!!!

1 survey STOP-BANG

https://www.sleepmedicine.com/files...estionnaire.pdf

https://www.sleepapnea.org/assets/f...F%201990-97.pdf

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Jun-19-18 at 17:42.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 22:17

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

That's a pretty short list on the quiz.
One good question would be, do you like coffee at night
I'm a 4
I hope nobody has seen me stop breathing because if they did, they didn't tell me
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 08:53

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

There is no one to see me sleeping---I go to sleep after everyone, and everyone leaves asap in the morning before I get up. How do I answer those questions....?

4 surveys answered in all at ENT's office
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 06:48
Registered Member

Plan: Keto-ish
Stats: 339/286/245 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

So I downloaded and ran SleepyHead yesterday. Wow, I never realized that quantity and detail of information the CPAP machine was recording! If only it would do a bluetooth data transfer...
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 08:29

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
It's pretty uncanny. It almost always picks up the exact time I fall asleep, wake up, and toss and turn. I just keep it in the back of my mind if I was awake at some point holding very still, and it thinks I was asleep. I'm not sure how useful this is when your issue is breathing and/or snoring, though. Maybe get a model that measures heart rate? Mine only does so with the chest strap, and it was a hassle trying to get it to take the data all night.

This is what I have found with my Fitbit. One reason I know this for sure is I have a CPAP machine. I recently had to go for an update of my sleep study and I wore my Fitbit. To me, the sleep study is a very uncomfortable situation and I felt that I didn't sleep a wink all night. Their equipment showed that I did sleep, but very little. My Fitbit showed that I slept all night, because I was lying very still. I had to, with all the wires they had attached to me!! LOL
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 08:35

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
There is no one to see me sleeping---I go to sleep after everyone, and everyone leaves asap in the morning before I get up. How do I answer those questions....?

4 surveys answered in all at ENT's office

Ms Arielle, my DH was able to tell me that I would stop breathing, and he would nudge me to get me to breathe, but I also noticed it myself. I would wake up suddenly gasping for air. I guess if you had mild symptoms this could happen without you waking up, but I think I have a pretty moderate to severe case. I used to be able to sleep in my recliner while watching TV but I can't do that anymore. I keep jerking awake, because I'm not wearing my CPAP. I don't take it with me when I'm in the hospital but they put me on oxygen so I can sleep.