Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 04:13

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 000/200/000 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default How I quit smoking.

I tried cigarettes when I was 10, just a puff and I was in pain, didn't try them again untill I was 14, very light smoking, by 16 I was smoking a pack a day, 17-18 I was up to 2 packs a day or so, then I went up to 2-3 packs, Winston, Luck strikes, Marlboros and Djarum blacks.

I started buying cartons to "save" money, they would end up going even faster, lighters lasted longer because I only need to light up once and use that to light the next one and the next, etc......

I was also drinking alot, everyday, I didn't want to quit smoking, better health? better breathing? cancer? throat cancer? death? cmon, who cares about that when you're 19, people would joke around saying "so you like cancer sticks?" "did you know that second hand smoke is JUST as bad ?" and puff towards them, I really didn't care about all that, even if I did have cancer I would still smoke if I didn't have my reason to quit.

I quit one time for 3 months "just for the hell of it" and went back, I didn't see a point in quitting untill I started reading about something and I got very interested in it, and it requires excellent fitness, run times, strength, health, etc..... so now I had a reason, but I still wasn't dead set about doing it so I tried by cutting down slowly.

I finally stopped for a month or 2 then had cravings, bought a carton and smoked it in almost 3 days lol, continued smoking for a few more months then I really got serious about doing that and said If I want to do that, I have to quit smoking I cannot achieve these scores while smoking, I had 3 packs left, finished them, never bought cigarettes again.

Next day I went for a run with some people for evaluation mainly , I did horrible, couldn't even finish the run because I couldn't breathe, which confirmed to me that I have to quit.

I didn't buy anymore cigarettes, although I did smoke some cigars and dip a little but cigars lead to cigarette cravings and dip makes me too calm, light headed and very sweaty so I also cut them out.

I have a goal and I'm determined to achieve it no matter what, I will not let anything get in my way, that's how I quit, I had a damn good reason.

I still get cravings, just like I sometimes do with junk food, I don't do anything about them.

Right now no cigarettes for about 4-5+ months? no tobacco for 2-4 months, I don't keep track because I know that I will not use tobacco again period.

However during my last years, I think I will probably smoke again (maybe not but right now I think I will, but who knows what the future will bring?), I will be done with everything and finished what I wanted to do, I didn't quit because I think smoking is bad, HELL NO, I LOVE SMOKING, I LOVE THE SMELL OF CIGARETTES, I love people who smell like cigarettes, rooms that smell like cigarettes, second hand smoke, no kidding, I really do, I think smoking is great but it just interferes with a more important thing to me so it had to go, do I miss it? yes, but I don't look back, this is deffinatly a better desicion.

My point is, without a good reason, I couldn't quit, I didn't want to, I believe if you have a very good reason, goal, etc..... you will be successfull in quiting, without that honestly it just seems like something not worth doing atleast to me.

Whatever your reason is, health, living longer, aging better, etc..... whatever your reason/goal is make sure it's a reason/goal you strongly believe in and REALLY want IMO you will be more successfull in quitting.

I hope this helps.

Good luck to those who want to quit and to those who quit keep going, take it one day at a time, concentrate on finishing this day and it will be over, your brain is playing with you, but YOU have the mental power to quit and not smoke again, if you can do it for just 1 minute without a cigarette you can do it till the day you die, the will to not to smoke is there you just have to practice it.

P.S: I would like to hear how other people quit, like me cold turkey or gradually, patch, etc.... you're welcome to comment and post your own story too!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 04:31

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Progress: 0%

Congratulations to you for quitting. I hope that you do continue to be a non-smoker for life too.
I, like you, quit for 3 months too. But picked them back up also and can not seem to get to that point again to put the damn things down.
I too did it cold turkey. Don't know how for the life of me, but that is how I did it when I quit. Too bad I picked them up again.
You are right, being a non-smoker will give you a longer life, you won't age as quickly look wise, and your health can only improve from here on.
You have done the best thing that you can do for yourself, and you health.
I bet that when you run now, you do it with much more ease, huh?
Well, just wanted to congratulate you, and tell you for your health, you never pick them up again.
From your picture you have done great, it would be a shame to defeat what you have done.
Good Luck to you, now and in the future. A long, healthy future.
Brenda
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 05:10

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabByFifty
Congratulations to you for quitting. I hope that you do continue to be a non-smoker for life too.
I, like you, quit for 3 months too. But picked them back up also and can not seem to get to that point again to put the damn things down.
I too did it cold turkey. Don't know how for the life of me, but that is how I did it when I quit. Too bad I picked them up again.
You are right, being a non-smoker will give you a longer life, you won't age as quickly look wise, and your health can only improve from here on.
You have done the best thing that you can do for yourself, and you health.
I bet that when you run now, you do it with much more ease, huh?
Well, just wanted to congratulate you, and tell you for your health, you never pick them up again.
From your picture you have done great, it would be a shame to defeat what you have done.
Good Luck to you, now and in the future. A long, healthy future.
Brenda

Thanks for the kind words .

My best run so far was my last, 8 miles averaging between 6-8 minutes in boots and pants, terrain was 50% grass and the rest asphalt, I was in a hurry so I was really pushing myself, I also did 14miles at a slower pace, however that brought back my stress fractures and I'm currently recovering AGAIN but I was pushing myself too hard too fast, I don't diffrenciate between pain and hurt I just keep going which gives me problems sometimes.

Number one that helped me THE MOST was quitting smoking, 2 was switching to low carb and mostly carnivourous although I did have problems at 1st with this diet, although it's not new to me.

Why do YOU want to quit? you already did it for 3 months and you can do it for 3 more, 3 more and 3 more and 30 more and so on, if you can stop yourself from smoking for 1 minute(anyone can) then, you can do it for a lifetime, but your will to stop smoking has to be stronger than your will to smoke and to do that, answer the question at the begining of the paragraph.

Good luck to you too, and I hope you are successfull in quitting when and if you want to quit again.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 06:30

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

I'm 2 weeks smoke free!!!! As of today!

I've been taking wellbutrin.

I used the nicotene patch.

My main motivation to quit was because I was scheduled for a tummy tuck. Dr said I HAD to quit 2 weeks before surgery and for at least 2 weeks after surgery. Since I paid out of my own pocket for the surgery, I wanted it to come out great so I grumped, whined, bi!~#$% and struggled, and I haven't had a darned drag for 2 weeks.

Since I can't exercise right now I can't tell you whether it is improving my athletic ability.

Congratulations on quitting. I know it aint easy.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 12:47

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromom
I'm 2 weeks smoke free!!!! As of today!

I've been taking wellbutrin.

I used the nicotene patch.

My main motivation to quit was because I was scheduled for a tummy tuck. Dr said I HAD to quit 2 weeks before surgery and for at least 2 weeks after surgery. Since I paid out of my own pocket for the surgery, I wanted it to come out great so I grumped, whined, bi!~#$% and struggled, and I haven't had a darned drag for 2 weeks.

Since I can't exercise right now I can't tell you whether it is improving my athletic ability.

Congratulations on quitting. I know it aint easy.

Congrats! hope the surgery worked out good for you! I know that not smoking makes the body repair itself better, faster and stronger, keep it up.

Btw, Quitting smoking was THE EASIEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE!

Because you don't have to do anything lol, you just don't do anything( ie buy or smoke) period, sometimes people tell me wow that musta been hard lol, NO working out everyday for 3+ is HARD, working 9 hours a day 6 days a week while working out 3 hours a day, studying for college and a future job all while getting little sleep is HARD! you have to put effort into these things to make them happen, but quitting, you don't have to do ANYTHING.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 14:33

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVH
Thanks for the kind words .

My best run so far was my last, 8 miles averaging between 6-8 minutes in boots and pants, terrain was 50% grass and the rest asphalt, I was in a hurry so I was really pushing myself, I also did 14miles at a slower pace, however that brought back my stress fractures and I'm currently recovering AGAIN but I was pushing myself too hard too fast, I don't diffrenciate between pain and hurt I just keep going which gives me problems sometimes.

Number one that helped me THE MOST was quitting smoking, 2 was switching to low carb and mostly carnivourous although I did have problems at 1st with this diet, although it's not new to me.

Why do YOU want to quit? you already did it for 3 months and you can do it for 3 more, 3 more and 3 more and 30 more and so on, if you can stop yourself from smoking for 1 minute(anyone can) then, you can do it for a lifetime, but your will to stop smoking has to be stronger than your will to smoke and to do that, answer the question at the begining of the paragraph.

Good luck to you too, and I hope you are successfull in quitting when and if you want to quit again.

Thank you also for your support and your post, you are right.
You seem to be doing Fantastic! You are young and probably do push yourself over the limit. But, I am sure you will succeed. You seem to have a great zest for life.
Keep up the good work and remember always where not smoking and eating right got you.
I understand the problems with the WOE, it is not new to me either. I am having a heck of a time this time around. But, it is always harder when you stop a good plan and then try to go back to it a second, third ect. time. And, I mean that with the WOE and the non-smoking.
But, patience will prevail and it will all come togeather.
Good Luck to you always.
Brenda
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 10:55

Plan: my own
Stats: 151.5/142.0/125 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:?
Progress: 36%

I quit 2 months ago. On the lowest patch right now.. I still get craving too. That's funny that you say you will smoke later on in your life. I was thinking the same thing too. If and when I make it to 85 years old or something I will smoke if I want to. lol