Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Mar-21-06, 18:28
Cracker in Asia

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/195/175 Male 5'8.5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

For me the 'home run' in not only controlling Type II diabetes but knocking itback into remission is a combination of proper diet, daily exercise & supplements

I tried the doctors drugs & only got worse, to the point they were ready to start me injecting insulin

By lowering the carbs, exercising & using supplements I keep my Hba1c in the high fives/low 6's consistantly these days

If we are truely diabetics its hard to hope for much more, for daily readings if you can stay in the 90-110 range most of the time that is probably as close to normal as you'll ever get. We can knock diabetes back into remission, but it's never 'cured'. Once must face the facts & admit that they are diabetic. Thats the 1st major step; moving beyond denial.

We have a group of us daibetics here in my office(sad comment on the state of health these days), everyone has found his own solution. My business partner found Glucocare does almost nothing for him but if he takes Bittermelon his BG quickly stabilize. I am pretty much the opposite. Herbal supplements are not a magic cure in a pill anymore than the strong drugs the doctors give you are. I feel they should be part of an overall lifestyle change.

We are all unique organisms & none of us reacts the same way to various lifestyle changes whether it be diet or drugs/supplement. We all have to find our own way. That is why I keep preaching the message of taking control.

Wasn't trying to push the product, just share some things that have worked for me.This is a good thread, lets keep it going!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 11:26
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
That's unusual. My diabetic clients have had great results with gymnema sylvestre leaves. I've had people drop from BGs of up to the high 500s to low 100s and below. People on the board have had good results with the regimen also.

Are you taking it with food? How many times a day? Consistently?

You might be the exception to the rule.

I'm sorry to hear you haven't had good results.

I am taking it consistently , and once a day - 4 g is 10 folds of what is usually recommended, first thing in the morning. This supplement is manufactured by the highly reputable Standard Processing. I am the exception to the rule, I guess. May be because I am not a "regular" diabetic, I never had high Bgs reading, and my only problem is fasting blood sugar. My H1C was never higher than 5.9% either - even prior to lc diet.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 13:06

Stats: 360/225/160 Female 68"
BF:30%
Progress: 68%
Default It is a disease

And one that each of us must deal with for the rest of our lives. Finding the right mix of diet, exercise, supplementation, and yes even prescription meds is unique to every individual.

That's why this forum is so valuable.

Oh yes, I was brushing my teeth this morning and noticed that my gums no longer bleed. Another benefit of Vitamin D
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 13:29
Registered Member

Quote:
That's unusual. My diabetic clients have had great results with gymnema sylvestre leaves. I've had people drop from BGs of up to the high 500s to low 100s and below.

If you can provide any data to support this claim, please, do so:
1)# of control samples taking GS and total number of your diabetic clients
2) dosage of GS taken daily
3) length of experiment until FBG <100 is achieved
4) % of success
5) other supplements, medications taken
I just wonder, if you are an MD, ND, RN, NP or in medical profession field at all? You reffer to your "clients" being cured by GS, so those are your patients? I also see you advising on supplements with a high regree of assurance, like someone with a medical background would. Diabetics thought to be low on most vit/minerals for 2 reasons:
1) impared digestion, prevention full absorbtion of nutrients
2) urinating more often (when glucose is high) and basically peeing out water soluble Vit/minerals.
But with impared digestion, wouldn't it be hard to digest supplements as well, unless they are in injectable form and bypass digestion?
Quote:
People on the board have had good results with the regimen also.

is it because of GS regimen alone or taking a dozen of other vitamins, minerals and such in addition to GS?
Pardon my sceptisim, but since being Dx I've tried almost any herbal remedy that claimed to help controlling BG and cure diabetes, and yet I am still in the same place where I started in 2002. I also take all recommended vitamins and minerals without seeing any difference in my numbers. This is why I am a bit sceptical about GS and other herbs claims. The only evidence we have is ability of GS to control sweet tooth, as a sugar destroyer. So it does help ppl that have troubles controling their sugar cravings and sweet tooth to lower BGs and may be even lose weight simply because they stop craving and eating sweets...
But in order to utilize this mechanism, one has to chew the raw GS leaves, which contain gymnemic acid and sort of "numb" sweet receptors on the tongue. Does taking pils containing tiny amount of dried herb works the same way? Just a thought. May be it does not work for me since I don't have sweet tooth and don't eat sweets, who knows.
I also interested what is the mechanism of regeneration pancreatic B-cells, AFAIK once they are gone, it's forever. I was trying to find an unbiased information (free from sales ppl claims) regarding GS on the web with no success.
I would appreciate if you can provide a link to some unbiased information on GS.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 15:13

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwilson43
Finding the right mix of diet, exercise, supplementation, and yes even prescription meds is unique to every individual.

That's why this forum is so valuable.

Oh so VERY, VERY true!
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 16:04
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
If you can provide any data to support this claim, please, do so:
1)# of control samples taking GS and total number of your diabetic clients
2) dosage of GS taken daily
3) length of experiment until FBG <100 is achieved
4) % of success
5) other supplements, medications taken
I just wonder, if you are an MD, ND, RN, NP or in medical profession field at all? You reffer to your "clients" being cured by GS, so those are your patients? I also see you advising on supplements with a high regree of assurance, like someone with a medical background would. Diabetics thought to be low on most vit/minerals for 2 reasons:
1) impared digestion, prevention full absorbtion of nutrients
2) urinating more often (when glucose is high) and basically peeing out water soluble Vit/minerals.
But with impared digestion, wouldn't it be hard to digest supplements as well, unless they are in injectable form and bypass digestion?

is it because of GS regimen alone or taking a dozen of other vitamins, minerals and such in addition to GS?
Pardon my sceptisim, but since being Dx I've tried almost any herbal remedy that claimed to help controlling BG and cure diabetes, and yet I am still in the same place where I started in 2002. I also take all recommended vitamins and minerals without seeing any difference in my numbers. This is why I am a bit sceptical about GS and other herbs claims. The only evidence we have is ability of GS to control sweet tooth, as a sugar destroyer. So it does help ppl that have troubles controling their sugar cravings and sweet tooth to lower BGs and may be even lose weight simply because they stop craving and eating sweets...
But in order to utilize this mechanism, one has to chew the raw GS leaves, which contain gymnemic acid and sort of "numb" sweet receptors on the tongue. Does taking pils containing tiny amount of dried herb works the same way? Just a thought. May be it does not work for me since I don't have sweet tooth and don't eat sweets, who knows.
I also interested what is the mechanism of regeneration pancreatic B-cells, AFAIK once they are gone, it's forever. I was trying to find an unbiased information (free from sales ppl claims) regarding GS on the web with no success.
I would appreciate if you can provide a link to some unbiased information on GS.
No, I am not in the medical profession though I do want to work on getting my masters in naturopathy.

I have 12 diabetic clients taking gymnema sylvestre, 1600 mg a day, and other supplements including vitamin D. I believe in supplements, that you can't take one supplement in isolation, that supplements have syngergy, and that medical problems often are signs of malnourishment and nutrient deficiencies. Plus I believe that vitamin D has a significant role in insulin regulation.

These clients have all greatly lowered their BS, at least four of them down into the normal range. Some have been taking it for almost a year but the benefits were achieved before that.

Oh the regeneration of beta cells, that's if there are some remaining.

Gymnema Sylvestre_Diabetes Research

Effect of Extended Release Gymnema Sylvestre Leaf Extract (Beta Fast GXR) Alone or In Combination With Oral Hypoglycemics or Insulin Regimens for Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
Authors: Joffe, DJ, editor~diabetesincontrol.com; Freed, SH, steverx~comcast.net.
Source: Diabetes In Control Newsletter, Issue 76 (1) : 30 Oct 2001
?003 Wen-Cin Marketing, Inc. All rights reserved.
http://www.cljhealth.com/science1_us.htm

from Pub Med:

Gymnema Sylvestre_Diabetes

Antidiabetic effect of a leaf extract from Gymnema sylvestre in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus patients.
Baskaran K, Kizar Ahamath B, Radha Shanmugasundaram K, Shanmugasundaram ER.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...l=pubmed_docsum

Medical benefits of using natural compounds and their derivatives having multiple pharmacological actions.
Kimura I.

Use of Gymnema sylvestre leaf extract in the control of blood glucose in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.
Shanmugasundaram ER, Rajeswari G, Baskaran K, Rajesh Kumar BR, Radha Shanmugasundaram K, Kizar Ahmath B.

Possible regeneration of the islets of Langerhans in streptozotocin-diabetic rats given Gymnema sylvestre leaf extracts.
Shanmugasundaram ER, Gopinath KL, Radha Shanmugasundaram K, Rajendran VM.

Gymnema sylvestre stimulates insulin release in vitro by increased membrane permeability.
Persaud SJ, Al-Majed H, Raman A, Jones PM.

Effect of Gymnema sylvestre, R.Br. on glucose homeostasis in rats.
Okabayashi Y, Tani S, Fujisawa T, Koide M, Hasegawa H, Nakamura T, Fujii M, Otsuki M.

Antihyperglycemic effects of gymnemic acid IV, a compound derived from Gymnema sylvestre leaves in streptozotocin-diabetic mice.
Sugihara Y, Nojima H, Matsuda H, Murakami T, Yoshikawa M, Kimura I.

Effect of Extended Release Gymnema Sylvestre Leaf Extract (Beta Fast GXR) Alone or In Combination With Oral Hypoglycemics or Insulin Regimens for Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
Authors: Joffe, DJ, editor~diabetesincontrol.com; Freed, SH, steverx~comcast.net.
Source: Diabetes In Control Newsletter, Issue 76 (1) : 30 Oct 2001
?003 Wen-Cin Marketing, Inc. All rights reserved.
http://www.cljhealth.com/science1_us.htm

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Wed, Mar-22-06 at 16:18.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 17:01
Registered Member

Well, none of this links convinced me that GS is a miracle herb. All of the above either suggesting (may) that GS regenerates B-cells, or number of samples was too small, or studies were conducted on rats, or in vitro, and/or in addition to insulin and diabetic meds. I am not arguing it does not work, I simply would like to see a long term studies conducted with a large number of samples.
The mechanism of how GS raises insulin level is also not clear, and may be similar to sulfonylurea class of antidiabetic drugs that work by making betta cells to manufacture more insulin, and expedite complete exhaustion and falure. Since T2 diabetics have already more than enough circulating insulin (and so are hypoglycemics), it's not such a good idea to increase insulin.
Quote:
Examination of islet and beta-cell integrity after exposure to GS4, by trypan blue exclusion, indicated that concentrations of GS4 that stimulated insulin secretion also caused increased uptake of dye. Two gymnemic acid-enriched fractions of GS4, obtained by size exclusion and silica gel chromatography, also caused increases in insulin secretion concomitant with increased trypan blue uptake. These results confirm the stimulatory effects of G. sylvestre on insulin release, but indicate that GS4 acts by increasing cell permeability, rather than by stimulating exocytosis by regulated pathways. Thus the suitability of GS4 as a potential novel treatment for NIDDM can not be assessed by direct measurements of beta-cell function in vitro.

Malnourishment and vitamin/mineral defficiencies can be easily measured and detected by simple blood test and/or hair analysis, and not all diabetics are deficient. Interesting, that my MD who suggested to try GS, warned me that it should be working within a month, if it does not, no point to try further. So I took it for a month, and then stopped, and then again re-started thinking may be I need more time, and I am still taking it to finish off the supply Ibought a whole load to save on shipping). Then I will stop and see if my BGs will take a hike. This is the onyl way to tell if it was doing anything at all.
What I do know, that 45 minutes brisk walk before breakfast lowers my BGs 30-40 points , and keeps it low for hours (even after a meal), and it does not make my already compromised pancrease to release even more insulin and make me gain more weight. I can see how cinnemon, ACV and any acidic food for this matter, even ALA can help to keep Bgs from spiking too high after a meal. But what helps with higher than normal FBG aka DP, this is still a mystery for me.
The only way to keep this desease at bay, is to eat right and exercise, and may be take some supplements if one is on a very strict diet and can't meet RDA requirements and beyond it.
But as always YMMV, so good luck to those who see great results from the supplements.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-06, 19:24

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%
Default one last question

Quote:
I take 4,000 IU of vitamin D during the summer and I live in Washington, DC!!! I don't feel "normal" otherwise. So no, there is no detriment to taking 4,000 IU of vitamin D year round. Many experts recommend taking 1,000-2,000 IUs during the summer and upping that during winter months.

More importantly, correcting a vitamin D deficiency requires at least 3 months of megadosing in vitamin D, 7,000-14,000 IU per day depending on relevent factors, to correct deficiency symptoms, i.e., IBS, digestion problems, hypertension, BS, bone and muscle weakness, etc, etc, etc.

If you really want to get your BS under control do get the gymnema sylvestre. It actually heals and regenerates the pancreas beta cells which produces insulin.

ACV--That was way too little water to take with the ACV. No wonder you had that reaction!!! Please do not use a "sweetener" with it. Just have it in more water--like 16 ounces of it.

Your calcium and magnesium look good. You don't have to increase it though you could up the magnesium to around 900 mg if you wanted.

Vitamin C--What you're taking isn't anywhere near enough to clean your gut and promote healing. I suggest 6,000-12,000 mg a day for the same three months that you're megadosing with vitamin D.

Digestion--I recommend Peptidase Complete digestive enzymes before meals.

The vitamin C, need it be Ester C or will the standard lot of C be fine? I found some 1000 mg pills and thought they'd be fine in order to avoid taking a daily dose of 24 of the ones I use now.

And the vitamin D, need it be in oil form, or will tablets be fine, as long as it is from Cholecalciferol......(and why is it so hard to find without being in a compound like I already take?? I know my friends at R&K Health, over the river in Marinette, will have some)

Thanks again!
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-06, 19:49
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
The vitamin C, need it be Ester C or will the standard lot of C be fine? I found some 1000 mg pills and thought they'd be fine in order to avoid taking a daily dose of 24 of the ones I use now.

And the vitamin D, need it be in oil form, or will tablets be fine, as long as it is from Cholecalciferol......(and why is it so hard to find without being in a compound like I already take?? I know my friends at R&K Health, over the river in Marinette, will have some)

Thanks again!
vitamin C is fine. Vitamin D is fine in any form as long as it says cholecalciferol. I think it's hard to find D other than the net because people are paranoid about it from the misinformation that's so widespread.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-06, 19:53
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
Well, none of this links convinced me that GS is a miracle herb. All of the above either suggesting (may) that GS regenerates B-cells, or number of samples was too small, or studies were conducted on rats, or in vitro, and/or in addition to insulin and diabetic meds. I am not arguing it does not work, I simply would like to see a long term studies conducted with a large number of samples.
The mechanism of how GS raises insulin level is also not clear, and may be similar to sulfonylurea class of antidiabetic drugs that work by making betta cells to manufacture more insulin, and expedite complete exhaustion and falure. Since T2 diabetics have already more than enough circulating insulin (and so are hypoglycemics), it's not such a good idea to increase insulin.

Malnourishment and vitamin/mineral defficiencies can be easily measured and detected by simple blood test and/or hair analysis, and not all diabetics are deficient. Interesting, that my MD who suggested to try GS, warned me that it should be working within a month, if it does not, no point to try further. So I took it for a month, and then stopped, and then again re-started thinking may be I need more time, and I am still taking it to finish off the supply Ibought a whole load to save on shipping). Then I will stop and see if my BGs will take a hike. This is the onyl way to tell if it was doing anything at all.
What I do know, that 45 minutes brisk walk before breakfast lowers my BGs 30-40 points , and keeps it low for hours (even after a meal), and it does not make my already compromised pancrease to release even more insulin and make me gain more weight. I can see how cinnemon, ACV and any acidic food for this matter, even ALA can help to keep Bgs from spiking too high after a meal. But what helps with higher than normal FBG aka DP, this is still a mystery for me.
The only way to keep this desease at bay, is to eat right and exercise, and may be take some supplements if one is on a very strict diet and can't meet RDA requirements and beyond it.
But as always YMMV, so good luck to those who see great results from the supplements.
Your doctor is correct. Gymnema sylvestre either works or it doesn't. If the beta cells in the pancreas don't need healing, gymnema sylvestre has no effect and you have to look for other supplements to control the diabetes. That's probably why I get such good results with the mix of supplements I suggest. They all work on a specific portion of the diabetic condition.
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 08:35

Quote:
vitamin C is fine. Vitamin D is fine in any form as long as it says cholecalciferol. I think it's hard to find D other than the net because people are paranoid about it from the misinformation that's so widespread.

Well I am up to a little over 4,200 Iu of Vitamin D, Besides the Cal/Mag/D and my multi I am taking 2,000 IU i the mornig, 1,000 IU at lunch and the same at dinner. No adverse reactions to report.

I am going to keep ramping up till I hit over 7,000 Iu, and was thinking 3 in the morning, and 2 at lunch and 2 at dinner. (I am going to re read the relevant factors and set a level based on my needs for the duration of the megadose period..)

I am starting to increase the vitamin C, though I gotta wonder if 6,000 mg isin't going to be real fun with the 50 yard bathroom dash at first....gonna ramp up slow.

I plan to be at optimal levels and start counting the mega dose on the same day for both, and hopefully by April 1.

BTW, I read a lot of the posts where people were having problems with the D presumably due to the soy oil, the D I am taking is by the NOW brand and it is in an Olive Oil filled Gel...
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 09:00

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
BTW, I read a lot of the posts where people were having problems with the D presumably due to the soy oil, the D I am taking is by the NOW brand and it is in an Olive Oil filled Gel...

Healthwise, I am NOT fond of Soy anything.

I take a very large amount of daily supplements and find Olive Oil or Rice Bran Oil have other health benefits that add to the supplement itself.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 09:22
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Well I am up to a little over 4,200 Iu of Vitamin D, Besides the Cal/Mag/D and my multi I am taking 2,000 IU i the mornig, 1,000 IU at lunch and the same at dinner. No adverse reactions to report.

I am going to keep ramping up till I hit over 7,000 Iu, and was thinking 3 in the morning, and 2 at lunch and 2 at dinner. (I am going to re read the relevant factors and set a level based on my needs for the duration of the megadose period..)

I am starting to increase the vitamin C, though I gotta wonder if 6,000 mg isin't going to be real fun with the 50 yard bathroom dash at first....gonna ramp up slow.

I plan to be at optimal levels and start counting the mega dose on the same day for both, and hopefully by April 1.

Good luck!!!

Often I tell people to pick a habitually dry, scalely patch of skin, to watch skin that is cracked and fragile, or if they have legs or feet with numbness. If the skin starts healing and feeling starts returning the D is working and they are near or at their target dose. For some people that's more than 7,000 IU per day, for some it's a bit less. With D you have to find what works for you, individually.

CAUTION: I usually advise people not to take vitamin D after 4-5 p.m. as it can disturb sleep patterns. For some people,, you'll be relaxed, but you won't sleep deep.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 18:05

I hear ya on the late i the day D. I usually take the evening dose by 5:30 or so. I am also generally up till 11pm anyway. So far not a problem.
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 05:51

Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just got the D3 this weekend and I started out taking 2000 ius, 1000 in the morning and 1000 at about 4 pm.

How do you know how much to take? I have read that it can be toxic if you take too much.