Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 11:32

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default 3 Foods You Probably Eat That Are Dangerous For Your Brain According To Science

Quote:
Forbes
19 July, 2018

3 Foods You Probably Eat That Are Dangerous For Your Brain According To Science

Seven years ago, Max Lugavere was sitting at the dinner table when he asked his mother to pass the salt. The simple request should have take a fraction of a second, but it took his mother three or four. Those were the first signs that something was wrong. Within a few months, he and his brother found out that their mother had a form of dementia that was slowly decimating her cognitive functions.

Lugavere spent the next decade trying to understand what led this otherwise healthy woman to develop dementia, and if he was also at risk through some hereditary characteristic. Using his skills as a journalist, Lugavere traveled the world to track down experts who could shed some light and learned that the biggest contributor to his mother’s condition may have come from an unexpected source--food.

When it comes to food, there are countless theories about what’s healthy and unhealthy. However, as Lugavere soon discovered, even people who called themselves experts, often don’t use evidence-based research and are under trained on nutrition. Partnering with doctors and researchers, Lugavere created an evidence based owner’s manual for the human brain and food called Genius Foods, co-written with internal medicine physician and weight loss expert Paul Grewal, MD.

Lugavere’s research uncovered that these three foods are silent killers:

1. Fast-Burning Carbs

It might be obvious to avoid high-carb food like sugar-filled beverages and junk food, but a saltine or a wheat thin can be just as dangerous. They are broken down incredibly quickly by the body, causing a rapid rise in blood sugar. As a response, your body produces insulin to regulate blood sugar levels, but over time the consistent consumption of fast-burning carbs can cause insulin to become chronically elevated, says Lugavere. He cites research estimating that up to 40% of Alzheimer's cases may be triggered by chronically elevated insulin.

2. Unhealthy Industrial Oils

Many cooking oils are made with an assembly line of chemical processes, which makes them unhealthy. For example, the processing used to create canola oil produces trans fats and aldehydes.

According to Lugavere and Dr. Grewal, there is no safe level of trans fat consumption. In fact, trans fats have been associated with an increased risk of heart disease, dementia and even death from any cause. The FDA has recently banned them, but they still lurk in these oils.

Aldehydes are poisonous to the mitochondria, the energy generating portions of your cells. Put simply, it hurts the brain's ability to produce energy. Other industrial oils to avoid are corn, soybean and grapeseed oils. Healthier alternatives include extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil.

3. Processed Food Additives

Emulsifiers are put into foods like ice cream, certain nut milks, and coffee creamers to give them a smooth and creamy feel. Lugavere is quick to point out that not all are recognized as unhealthy. The key is to look out for these chemical additives: Polysorbate-80 and Carboxymethylcellulose.

Research has shown that these additives can drive inflammation and disrupt metabolism. Since Alzheimer’s coincides with metabolic dysfunction in the brain and often, the body, or shrinkage in the brain, avoiding emulsifiers with those additives, Lugavere deduces, is essential to brain health.

Some medical conditions may seem like a biological inevitability, but the solution may be as simple as switching out the foods that you eat on a day-to-day basis. Avoiding these three common culprits in food can help you stay physically and mentally healthy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonlev...e/#4084d5235498
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 13:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I often read AD is the third type of Diabetes.

Too bad the article did not name more of the addative offenders-- in college while doing a paper on addatives, the primary resource book listing all the known/used addatives was 2-3 inches thick. Basically a dictionary of addatives. THat was in the mid 1980's. Book likely thicker now.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Jul-20-18 at 17:09.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 15:06

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Probably more details in his book - I love when people post articles that introduce me to more reading material. I find it very motivating. Will look into “Genius Foods”.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 23:49

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard
Probably more details in his book - I love when people post articles that introduce me to more reading material. I find it very motivating. Will look into “Genius Foods”.
It's definitely worth a read.

You, and others, might also be interested in the documentary that Max Lugavere is making: Bread Head
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 04:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
It's definitely worth a read.

You, and others, might also be interested in the documentary that Max Lugavere is making: Bread Head

Thanks, Demi, for posting the link to the trailer for Bread Head. It looks like a very promising documentary, and with emerging AD research is a story that must be told.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 05:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

uh-oh, teaser and BillyHW.
More folks trashing that Canadian Canola Oil.

Thanks Demi. This is a good article, short and to the point. I had a conversation yesterday about why I avoid industrial seed oils, and so rarely eat out. It didn't go over well so I sent them this

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-21-18 at 05:45.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 06:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I was so relieved to find out I didn’t eat any of them any more!

But that is what eating real food will do for you.

Ironically, people choose those nut milks and articially low fat foods for “health” and eat far more of such stuff than I do.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 08:14

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Bread head, grain brain, carb fog - whatever you want to call it - the name gets to the heart of the matter. I was often in a mental fog & it was years before I found out it was what I was eating - all those whole grains & sugar. When I was young I was skinny, so I thought I didn't have a problem with food. It wasn't until I gained weight (a heck of a lot of it!) & acquired diabetes that I learned the truth.

I hope more people learn this while young, instead of when old.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 10:38

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
uh-oh, teaser and BillyHW.
More folks trashing that Canadian Canola Oil.

Thanks Demi. This is a good article, short and to the point. I had a conversation yesterday about why I avoid industrial seed oils, and so rarely eat out. It didn't go over well so I sent them this

I honestly don't care for the stuff. Just don't think it's especially bad.

Or more importantly, maybe, I don't think avoiding it in and of itself is likely to be that therapeutic. It's not that hard to find somebody who got a therapeutic effect from switching to a low carb diet that includes mayo made from canola oil. I'm doubtful that going off of canola oil in and of itself would be that helpful for most people. There are people who think that switching to butter and coconut oil for their popcorn and french fries is a step in the right direction. Maybe it is, but maybe a woefully inadequate one.