Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-12, 08:29

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

GAAAAAAHHHH. Never mind me... How do you delete posts, anyway?

Last edited by Equinox : Sat, Jul-28-12 at 11:28.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-12, 08:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
LOL, I tend to unsubscribe quickly, if not interested...... But I lose track to easily otherwise.

I use the Search -> New Posts (no journals) to keep up. Then periodically when I've read everything I want I use Quick Links -> Mark all read. Then next time I come back New Posts gets me the new stuff. Works pretty good!
  #93   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-12, 10:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I use the Search -> New Posts (no journals) to keep up. Then periodically when I've read everything I want I use Quick Links -> Mark all read. Then next time I come back New Posts gets me the new stuff. Works pretty good!

I have stopped the emails. I was getting a bit overwhelmed, LOL. And I use the New Posts all the time, that and the CP subscribed to list should get me where I want to be, easily...Thanks for the nudge, Nancy!
  #94   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 06:40

BF:

DAY 14 July 29, 2012
Weight 151.2*
Fasting glucose 101
Fasting Ketones .4**

1402 Calories (I skipped lunch)
27 g carbs (16 net)
63 g protein
121 g fat

*ARGH
** With my weight up, calories down, fasting glucose and ketones not in the range I want, I am going to take a good look at my menu. And I wonder if it is WHEN I eat. I do not eat breakfast usually, just cream and coconut oil, then eggs or like yesterday celery and liverwurst for lunch, then steak and a big salad for dinner, macadamias, shredded coconut and coconut oil for snack, after dinner. And I have not had a decent bathroom visit for a few days-more Natural Calm this afternoon is in order.

Interesting…….

Last edited by Aradasky : Sun, Jul-29-12 at 19:36.
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 07:14

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
With my weight up, calories down, fasting glucose and ketones not in the range I want, ...

Setbacks are frustrating, but it's probably more of a fluctuation than anything else. Interesting that your glucose is so much higher. I'd love it if you could figure that one out, because it's been an ongoing problem for me.

Here's something I saw on facebook that might help:

#96   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 08:50
Experimenter

BF:

Don't get discouraged. Weight loss comes and goes in fits and starts. It sounds like the gain might due to what you haven't gotten rid of lately. Someone said recently to expect 5 days of not losing for every pound you do lose.
  #97   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 17:48

BF:

Nancy and Costello, thanks for the support! It is so funny the way we look at this. I am actually at my goal, and was happy, but decided to try ot go a few pounds lower with this experiment! Costello, I love the cha cha cha!

I did my 6 mile walk this morning and felt WONDERFUL! I could have done more.

Costello, about the glucose. I wonder if it has to do with our bowels. It was high when I had slight runs and high when I am stopped up a bit, but fine when I am regular.

I see that the higher the FG the lower the ketones. I am surprised they are linked so tightly that even this fluctuation takes me out of Ketosis. Imagine what a day of high carbs would do! So we shall see how long it takes me to get NK back.

Last edited by Aradasky : Sun, Jul-29-12 at 17:56.
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 17:57

Stats: 148.6/142.0/140 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Costello, I loved the chacha, too.
Arlene, I'll be curious to hear what you think might have infuenced your results these last few days.

Did you feel any different, better or worse, when in ketosis? I don't test myself, so I can't really know. But when I'm keeping my carbs and protein low and fat high, I get nauseous. Reminds me of morning sickness. I also feel appetite suppressed, and kind of calm. And my urine strips show a moderate instead of small result. I know that is not the gold standard, but it is interesting to me. Anyway, I'm curious if those feelings really correlate to ketosis. (But not curious enough to draw blood!)
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-12, 19:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem200
Costello, I loved the chacha, too.
Arlene, I'll be curious to hear what you think might have infuenced your results these last few days.

Did you feel any different, better or worse, when in ketosis? I don't test myself, so I can't really know. But when I'm keeping my carbs and protein low and fat high, I get nauseous. Reminds me of morning sickness. I also feel appetite suppressed, and kind of calm. And my urine strips show a moderate instead of small result. I know that is not the gold standard, but it is interesting to me. Anyway, I'm curious if those feelings really correlate to ketosis. (But not curious enough to draw blood!)

I feel very good and strong right now. But I have felt that for the last few months. I mean like I was ten years younger. The key thing that I have felt is the icky mouth and dry eyes when I wake up, that I had when I was just going into it. I also have had a noticible appitite suppressent effect. And i get full faster. I do a bit of intermittant fasting and that has taught me not to stress over hunger.

I am not sure if there would be a reason to draw blood, as long as we all know that if we go out of NK, then it will take a while to get back. I think, if it is really NK that causes or increases weight loss, then cheating days are costly.

Yes, the higher fat can cause tummy upset in the beginning, but it passes as the body gets used to it.
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 06:04

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Costello, about the glucose. I wonder if it has to do with our bowels. It was high when I had slight runs and high when I am stopped up a bit, but fine when I am regular.

Mine's just gone up over the experiment. I guess I shouldn't complain. It was in the 120's and 130's in March or April (the last time I went through a spate of checking it.) It was down to the high 90's early in this experiment then steadily rose to the low 100's.

So many things effect BG. It's not always easy to tease out. Last night one of my sons called at midnight with some cock-and-bull story and saying he needed to be picked up and driven home - a round trip of at least two hours - if you're familiar with the route. My other son offered to go get him which I agreed to because I was so tired. The other son, though, has a serious mental illness and a nearly pathologically bad sense of direction. And he would be driving, in the dark, to a difficult to find place, then having to find his way home again without the other son in the car to guide him. So I lay awake receiving the occasional text updating me on progress and talking to the first son's gf detail the problems they've been having. I finally dropped off at about 2 am.

Get up at 6 and check my FBG. It's 119. By far the highest I've seen during this experiment. So add stress and lack of sleep to factors raising FBG. Both of which I have in spades.
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 08:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
Mine's just gone up over the experiment. I guess I shouldn't complain. It was in the 120's and 130's in March or April (the last time I went through a spate of checking it.) It was down to the high 90's early in this experiment then steadily rose to the low 100's.

So many things effect BG. It's not always easy to tease out. Last night one of my sons called at midnight with some cock-and-bull story and saying he needed to be picked up and driven home - a round trip of at least two hours - if you're familiar with the route. My other son offered to go get him which I agreed to because I was so tired. The other son, though, has a serious mental illness and a nearly pathologically bad sense of direction. And he would be driving, in the dark, to a difficult to find place, then having to find his way home again without the other son in the car to guide him. So I lay awake receiving the occasional text updating me on progress and talking to the first son's gf detail the problems they've been having. I finally dropped off at about 2 am.

Get up at 6 and check my FBG. It's 119. By far the highest I've seen during this experiment. So add stress and lack of sleep to factors raising FBG. Both of which I have in spades.

Oh yes, lack of sleep and stress drive it up. However, since yours is also rising during the experiment, at the beginning, I wonder if it is all pat of the body's recalculating what is happening to it.

Sorry about your son and I assume they both made it home....
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 08:22

BF:

DAY 15 July 30, 2012
Weight 151.2 (I asked my DH if the scale was working for him, it is…LOL)
Fasting Glucose 87 (YES!)
Fasting Ketones .9*

1727 Calories
35 g carbs (16 net)
75 g protein
149 g fat

*!!!!!! I think my walk had something to do with this. But I exercise several times a week and it is not a wimpy hour. The next 10 days, however will be spent with family so no planned exercise, but lots of lifting and playing with grandsons and walking. We shall see.
I was also in the 1400 calorie range.

I woke up with the feeling in my mouth, a bit dry, that is a sign now. This one is different than the one I got at the very beginning of my LC adventure. It is more ummmmm, papertowel just in mouth but now out? Back of throat a bit scratchy…

My energy level is high this morning, I have a lot housework to get through this morning – family arrives just before noon.

Last edited by Aradasky : Mon, Jul-30-12 at 21:29.
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 08:27
Experimenter

BF:

It's amazing how much the ketones jump around.
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 09:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
It's amazing how much the ketones jump around.

Tell me about it!! I was shocked! I had that feeling in my mouth and even tho it was not a testing day I just had to find out. wow.....
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 12:55

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

Won't be sure if I'm in NK till next morning, BUT, my mouth is actually dry, too! I hadn't thought about it... Hi, Aradasky, this is me posting intentionally!