Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-12, 13:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinge
Are you drinking enough water? Good for the blood sugar.

Oh yes, 80 ounces plus a day.... Thank you. And believe me with all the fat and magnesium, my insides are NOT concrete. Quite the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsnow
Psyllium husk. And moderation, IMHO.
Thank you, I don't need it right now..... LOL
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 07:53

BF:

DAY 6 Sat. July 21, 2012

Weight 152.2 (not unexpected, it bounces until it sticks)
FASTING GLUCOSE 85 (OH YES!!! I will stay with macadamias for a snack for a while and later add back coconut to see what happens.
FASTING KETONES .4 (FINALLY!! Movement! I am encouraged. As I said yesterday afternoon, my appetite was not there until I actually started making dinner (DH is home so I had to.. lol and then I didn't know if I would have enough! Then at dinner, I ate less than I thought I would and could have skipped snack but needed the fat)

1862 calories
32 g carbs (19 net g)
70 g protein (I had a snack of cheese. If I increase protein calories, I have to decrease somewhere else to be sure to stay in the range I want. I took out the avocado from my salad.)
168 g fat

5:30 am, sitting here drinking my coffee with HWC and eating my coconut oil, today has started off good and since DH is leaving again for a week this morning, I can be strict for the next week. I am looking at two weeks of company after –grandsons- and wondering how this will go. There is no reason I can't stay pretty strict then, too.)

Last edited by Aradasky : Sat, Jul-21-12 at 17:35.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 09:43

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Arlene, I'm also trying out nutritional ketosis since reading Jimmy Moore's blog but due to cost haven't bought the better blood tester and am trying to get by with the less accurate ketostix type strips. With those I found just a regular can of tuna (26 grams protein) was apparently too much protein in one serving for me because the stick measured only just a trace of ketones for hours afterward whereas the color had been dark before the tuna salad. Also I saw that Jimmy said his daily percentages were 85 fat, only 12 protein and 3 carbs while achieving daily nutritional ketosis and thought I also saw someplace his grams of daily protein were only somewhere in the 70's even for a big man like him. I don't know how applicable my experience is to anyone else, but I'm thinking if nutritional ketosis remains hard to achieve it may be there's still too much overall protein being consumed or the amount being eaten at one time, maybe both. I took my tuna can experience to mean I need to eat less grams of protein per meal, fill up more on fat instead and have cut back some on my daily protein total as well to conform more with Jimmy's percentages since it's working well for him, so maybe will for me too.

Last edited by Zei : Sat, Jul-21-12 at 10:15.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 10:15

BF:

Zei, Good for you for thinking about this! You may not be out of ketosis with that can of tuna! I am assuming you are testing your urine. The ketone levels change and are hard to follow, especially during the day. I think the best time to test that is first thing, the first pee in the morning. Even then it is not as acurrate as the blood test.

I took this from Dr. Phinney's book.
""Taken from Chapter 13
Ketones-To Measure or Not

As noted in Chapter 1, nutritional ketosis is defined by serum ketones ranging from 0.5 up to 5 mM, depending on the amounts of dietary carbohydrate and protein consumed. In most people, the combined intake of 100 grams of carbohydrate and 100 grams of protein with drive serum well below 0.5 mM. While there is nothing magical about having circulating ketones above this threshold level, it does have the practical value of providing he brain with a virtually limitless, fat-derived fuel source. This alternative fuel is eminently more sustainable, particularly in the insulin resistant or carbohydrate intolerant individual.

Within a few days of starting on our carbohydrate restriction, most people begin excreting ketones in their urine. This occurs before serum have risen to their stable adaptive level….

Meanwhile, the body is undergoing a complex set of adaptations in ketone metabolism. ….

… Over time the urine ketone excretion drops off, ….

These temporal changes in how the kidneys handle ketones make urine testing a rather uncertain if not undependable way of monitoring dietary response/adherence. Testing serum for beta-hydroxybutyrate is much more accurate but requires drawing blood, and it is expensive because it is not a routine tests doctors normally order.""

AND this
""we recommend daily protein intakes between 1.5 and 2.5 gram per day per kg of reference weight. For a person on weight maintaining low carbohydrate diet, this typically translates to somewhere between 15% and 25% of your daily energy coming from protein. ""

So a daily amount at that level for maintaining and lower to lose, along with carb restrictions is what they are reccomending. If you track and are in those levels, I would think you are in nutritional ketosis.

Later,for me, I am going to see how much protein I can eat....

Last edited by Aradasky : Sat, Jul-21-12 at 10:42.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 10:33

BF:

Thanks for the info. It sounds like even at the lower end range of 1.5 times my reference weight that would still be over 120 grams of protein per day, which sounds like an awful lot for me. I've been trying to shoot for closer to somewhere in the 70's based on something I read (but where?) about weight in pounds times .36 or .38 or so for protein grams per day. I don't know what symptoms would be of not eating enough protein, though, so may eventually buy one of those blood meters to get a better idea what I'm doing especially if the price gets better or if I fail to lose weight without it.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 10:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Thanks for the info. It sounds like even at the lower end range of 1.5 times my reference weight that would still be over 120 grams of protein per day, which sounds like an awful lot for me. I've been trying to shoot for closer to somewhere in the 70's based on something I read (but where?) about weight in pounds times .36 or .38 or so for protein grams per day. I don't know what symptoms would be of not eating enough protein, though, so may eventually buy one of those blood meters to get a better idea what I'm doing especially if the price gets better or if I fail to lose weight without it.

Remember, the higher amount may be what we can eat and maintain. It has to be a bit lower for losing. And As I said in the first post -- Here, http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nu...n/a/protein.htm I am told I need to eat at least 52 grams of protein a day. (you can go see how much you really need to live, but more is needed to curb appetite and is allowable for this process.)

I really recommend you read Dr Phinney's book, if you are this interested, I think there is a lot of information there that will help you. He also said we really do not need to test if it is all working...... but me? I am curious......

I ordered some strips from Canada that if they work in my meter or even need a meter themselves, will be cheaper. I will report on this when (if!!) I get them....
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 11:09

BF:

Thanks again, Arlene. I watched a video with Dr. Phinney and may check more into that book, too.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 12:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Arlene, you might enjoy this interview transcript with Dr. Phinney from April 2011. Before the A&SLCL book was published, but he talks about protein levels:
http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2011...than-high-carb/

I read the book from the library and can't refer to it now, but did he define "reference weight"? Have seen the mid-point of healthy BMI used before, which for me is 145 (in my dreams..college weight) and you around 120.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-21-12 at 12:14.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 16:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Arlene, you might enjoy this interview transcript with Dr. Phinney from April 2011. Before the A&SLCL book was published, but he talks about protein levels:
http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2011...than-high-carb/

I read the book from the library and can't refer to it now, but did he define "reference weight"? Have seen the mid-point of healthy BMI used before, which for me is 145 (in my dreams..college weight) and you around 120.

Very good Jey, Thanks for the reference. I have to point myself to a weight that I know I can maintain. I am looking at 140 but it might be higher. 120 is not even in my thoughts..... LOL

+++++++++

JEY100 THIS IS A GOOD INTERVIEW.... Dr Phinney talks about athletes on this diet and WOE

""Most of the adaptation occurs in the first two weeks, but some of the fine tuning is going on four to six weeks after that.""

Okay, this is a long term thing and again, he says if you eat too much protien or too many carbs in one day, it will take this long again to get into the sweet spot.

""""Well, how about if, instead of eating just the leanest part of the meat, what if they eat a 14 ounce rib-eye steak. Or chicken with the skin. Will they avoid a rabbit fever problem, or is that still too much protein?

A lightly marbled steak, in terms of energy, is about 50-50 protein and fat. A heavily marbled steak is 75 percent of calories from fat and 25 percent from protein. Chicken, with the skin, dark meat’s going to be 50-50 protein and fat, but the white meat is going to be more protein, even with the skin on. So as an energy source, it’s too much protein . . . UNLESS the person is trying to lose weight, and getting fat from their body’s own fat stores. In other words, being on a higher fat diet because they’re getting fat from their body’s stores.

After all, many people, choose a low carb diet for weight loss. For them, a diet that’s moderate in protein may be high in fat because they’re burning their own fat for energy. When you go on a weight loss, ketogentic diet, you can eat less fat on your plate because you’re burning the fat that comes from your inside. It comes from your love handles and hips and so on.

When burning your own body fat, it looks like it’s a high protein diet. But the scales go down because the body’s burning it’s own fat stores. But if that persons loses weight and decides to stay on low-carb as a maintenance diet, in order to become weight stable, they need to eat a considerable amount of fat now, in other words, they need to increase their fat intake, which should work fine, because by now, their body should be very efficient at burning fat."""""

"""Well, if an athlete is eating a 14 ounce steak, is that too much protein?

It depends on the person’s height and weight. Also, the amount of protein you eat depends on how much muscle you need to maintain. So a tall, muscular man would need more protein to maintain lean body mass than a small less athletic woman.

Let’s describe an athlete about 6 feet tall and pretty muscular.

So his reference weight would be 80 kilograms, plus or minus a few. We recommend that on a low carbohydrate diet, people get 1.5 of protein per kilogram of body weight. So that would be 120 grams of protein. That’s the low end. And it can go to 2 grams per kilo, or 160 grams of protein per day. Now, a 14-ounce steak–each ounce of prepared steak has around 7 grams of protein, so it is just a bit shy of 100 grams of protein. If a person’s intake should be between 120 and 150, that steak represents more than half of their daily protein needs. So if the person had two eggs and 2 strips of bacon for breakfast, which would be about 25 grams of protein, and some tuna with celery and lettuce for lunch and then the steak for dinner, that might be about right for total protein. So that would be tolerable, as long as the person didn’t feel deprived by waiting for the high amount of protein in their evening meal.

That would be too much protein for me. I’m about 5 foot 7. And because I have a weak pancreas, I don’t have a lot of room for extra protein calories that might be converted to sugar. It would push my blood sugars up. That’s what happens to protein if someone eats too much.

So I try to eat less protein. Mary Gannon, another expert on protein metabolism would point out that people can have far less protein than you’re suggesting, because so much of the body’s protein can be recycled and used again. While you, talking about athletes, are talking about more protein than that."""

Excellent discussion on how important SALT and MAGNESIUM is...

I think... think... correct me if I am wrong, but what Dr Phinney is saying in this interview is that we need to look at the make up of the number of calories that we need to take in for weight loss differently than the make p of the calories we eat for maintanence. It seems that if we want to lose weight, we need to lower the number calories but keep the protein and carbs at the same percentage as we will when maintaining. When we maintain, we need to increase the fat, not the protein and he still limists his carbs because he, like me is insulin sensitive.......

So that means if I lose weight (and now I am wondering if I will or if I am eating too much fat...) on this road of my journey, at the end, what ever determines the end, I will increase the fat. Hmmmmm. Maybe some pate! Yum. LOL

Last edited by Aradasky : Sat, Jul-21-12 at 19:21.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-12, 18:47

BF:

Dana Carpender and her journey into this world of HFLC

http://www.carbsmart.com/dana-gets-...17#.UAtOHmt5mSM
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 07:18

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Dana's lipid stats look good. Better than mine. In a year, my HDL has only gone up 5 points and my LDL a lot more. Even using a different revised-for-trylycerides-less-than-100 formula, my ratio is not good.

I noticed on Amazon that Dana Carpender has a new Paleo cookbook coming out in Dec. Dr. Davis has a Wheat Belly cookbook coming out then too.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 07:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
I think... think... correct me if I am wrong, but what Dr Phinney is saying in this interview is that we need to look at the make up of the number of calories that we need to take in for weight loss differently than the make p of the calories we eat for maintanence. It seems that if we want to lose weight, we need to lower the number calories but keep the protein and carbs at the same percentage as we will when maintaining. When we maintain, we need to increase the fat, not the protein and he still limists his carbs because he, like me is insulin sensitive.......

So that means if I lose weight (and now I am wondering if I will or if I am eating too much fat...) on this road of my journey, at the end, what ever determines the end, I will increase the fat. Hmmmmm. Maybe some pate! Yum. LOL

Arlene, basically, I think..yes. Have you looked at the charts in A&SLCL around page 208? Take those samples and work out your calorie numbers for each phase. The first thing that hits you is the amount of fat coming from your body in Phase 1, and second, then how you need to eat to replace it in Phase 4. But if you still want to lose in phase 2&3, yup, not so many calories and most of the fat should still be sucked out of our own fat stores.

ps: on reference weight, that 6 ft muscular guy at 80 kg is a BMI of 23.7, so highish end of the healthy range.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jul-22-12 at 08:00.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 12:38

BF:

DAY 7 July 22, 2012

Weight 151.2 (!!! )**
Fasting Glucose 89

1831 calories
44 g carbs (21 net)
81 g protein
155 g fat

** I am very surprised at this. And this morning, even though it is not a testing ketone day, I was so tempted to because my mouth is different today. I do not have the dusty carpet in it today, but it was there, big time yesterday and I was hungry! All day! I walked the normal 6 miles with my friends this morning and could have gone a couple more. I am not tired.

Last edited by Aradasky : Sun, Jul-22-12 at 16:58.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 13:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Arlene, basically, I think..yes. Have you looked at the charts in A&SLCL around page 208? Take those samples and work out your calorie numbers for each phase. The first thing that hits you is the amount of fat coming from your body in Phase 1, and second, then how you need to eat to replace it in Phase 4. But if you still want to lose in phase 2&3, yup, not so many calories and most of the fat should still be sucked out of our own fat stores.

ps: on reference weight, that 6 ft muscular guy at 80 kg is a BMI of 23.7, so highish end of the healthy range.

Jey, right, On page 207 they give us the formula for a moderately active, post obese adult, as expending (a modest estimate) of 35Kcal per kg of weight. So if I use 140 lbs converted to 63.5 kg x 35 I should be using at least 2222 kcalories a day and if I use 150 lbs, 68 kgs I could eat 2380 kcalories and as long as I keep protein in control, I should not gain on that amount of calories. If I decide to stop at 140lbs, eating 1850 kcalores a day, I can increase my calorie intake to at least 2222, keep protein at the recommended number of grams and maintain by adding fat.

On page 210 is the Human Protein Tolerance insert where I found the numbers to calculate how much protein I should eat. I am shortish woman (5'2") so I am staying on the lower end of the numbers. I know when I was on Induction, I ate about 1400 caloires, but here am allowing myself about 1850 on the percentage of protein suggested and want to see if I lose. So far, I am.......

If we are in the group of believers in insulin response being responsible for a lot of the weight we cannot lose or even gain, then me tracking my protein at this level and even at a higher number of calories than when I was trying to lose, keeping the protein lower than before, should cause me to lose because I am still using more body fat. I should lose until I hit a balance. I exercise moderately.

Right now I am losing at a pretty fast rate, faster than I expected and I am not even in full Nutritional Ketosis.

Last edited by Aradasky : Sun, Jul-22-12 at 14:03.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 13:54

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
I can increase my calorie intake to at least 2222, keep protein at this percentage and maintain by adding fat.
If you add fat, wouldn't the percentage of protein go down, and the percent of fat go up? did you mean, "keep protein at this amount of grams and add fat" ?