Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 09:17

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

my son has been taking 2000iu of D3 for several months and we recently increased him, first to 10,000, then to 50,000, hoping to improve his osteoporosis. we went to an amusement park yesterday with our youth group and he was one of the only people who didn't get burnt. my son is extremely pale and i was sure he'd end up burning. i was going to have him use sunscreen after some time in the sun but it ended up never being necessary. we were in the florida sunshine from 9am til 6pm. of course he wasn't in the sun that whole time but most of it!
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 09:22

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

You know... I think I know now why they say 'the summer is magic.'
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-09, 09:31

BF:

The D was flipping the switch, Zeph, 'as expected.'
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 04:48
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Prospective Study of Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Level, Cardiovascular Disease Mortality, and All-Cause Mortality in Older U.S. Adults. In noninstitutionalized older adults, a group at high risk for all-cause mortality, serum 25(OH)D levels had an independent, inverse association with CVD and all-cause mortality

During the median 7.3 years of follow-up, there were 1,493 (44%) deaths, including 767 CVD-related deaths. Median 25(OH)D level was 66 nmol/L. Adjusting for demographics, season, and cardiovascular risk factors, baseline 25(OH)D levels were inversely associated with all-cause mortality risk (adjusted hazard ratio (HR)=0.95, 95% confidence interval (CI)=0.92-0.98, per 10 nmol/L 25[OH]D). Compared with subjects with 25(OH)D levels of 100 nmol/L or higher, the adjusted HR for subjects with levels less than 25.0 nmol/L was 1.83 (95% CI=1.14-2.94) and for levels of 25.0 to 49.9 nmol/L was 1.47 (95% CI=1.09-1.97). The association appeared stronger for CVD mortality (adjusted HR=2.36, 95% CI=1.17-4.75, for subjects with 25[OH]D levels<25.0 nmol/L vs those >/=100.0 nmol/L) than for non-CVD mortality (adjusted HR=1.42, 95% CI=0.73-2.79, for subjects with 25[OH]D levels<25.0 nmol/L vs those >/=100.0 nmol/L).

What the report doesn't say is that generally speaking to get from below 50nmol/l 20ng to over 100nmol/l 40ng will take MORE than 2000iu/daily /D3
so 2000iu/d should be the minimum daily intake.
Mostly Dr Davis finds in Wisconsin it takes 5000iu/d for females and 6000iu for males gets them to above 55ng 137.5nmol/l the level associated with least chronic disease incidence.

Cheapest 25(OH)D testing worldwide
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 18:06

BF:

With Michael Jackson's recent death due to cardiac arrest (to date... realizing that there could be other causes involved), I suspect he was at least moderately if not significantly vitamin D deficient. He always avoided the sun like the plague (with umbrellas, etc.), yet I don't know whether he was up with the times and supplemented at all. I wonder if his vitiligo and lupus had anything to do with D deficiency. He was the last born (I think), which doesn't surprise me being complicated with those issues and what we know of failing/depleted parental nutrition as offspring are continually produced.

Does anyone else notice stronger emotional responses while being D replete? I know D at least has a impact on tyrosine hydroxylase ("Animal data indicates that tyrosine hydroxylase , the rate-limiting enzyme for all the brain's monoamines, is increased by vitamin D"). I feel strong feelings of being alone and a much higher desire to socialize and be with others and actively look for a significant other. I seem to get a little more anxious throughout the day and long for closeness to others and seek out companionship constantly. Being alone is not as attractive as it once was (I used to have much more of a loner mindset).

It feels like this has something to do with the whole sex and pregnancies soar in the spring and summer... Like the D is exercising the genome and influencing me to carry out instinctual human behavior that favors species survival.

Last edited by Jayppers : Fri, Jun-26-09 at 19:04.
  #96   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 09:58
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayppers
With Michael Jackson's recent death due to cardiac arrest (to date... realizing that there could be other causes involved), I suspect he was at least moderately if not significantly vitamin D deficient. He always avoided the sun like the plague (with umbrellas, etc.), yet I don't know whether he was up with the times and supplemented at all. I wonder if his vitiligo and lupus had anything to do with D deficiency. He was the last born (I think), which doesn't surprise me being complicated with those issues and what we know of failing/depleted parental nutrition as offspring are continually produced.

Does anyone else notice stronger emotional responses while being D replete? I know D at least has a impact on tyrosine hydroxylase ("Animal data indicates that tyrosine hydroxylase , the rate-limiting enzyme for all the brain's monoamines, is increased by vitamin D"). I feel strong feelings of being alone and a much higher desire to socialize and be with others and actively look for a significant other. I seem to get a little more anxious throughout the day and long for closeness to others and seek out companionship constantly. Being alone is not as attractive as it once was (I used to have much more of a loner mindset).

It feels like this has something to do with the whole sex and pregnancies soar in the spring and summer... Like the D is exercising the genome and influencing me to carry out instinctual human behavior that favors species survival.

Well, I am definitely more social during the summer. During the winter, I tend to really just want to be left alone and hibernate. It's too mentally exhausting for me to socialize during winter.

I feel more depressed during winter and feel much more alone. During the summer, I socialize more, like to be more active, am proactive in looking for outlets/activities, and am more content with my life.
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 17:40

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayppers

I told my kids the day of his death, that if MJ were taking vitamin D, he'd still be alive and he would be a lot happier. I really feel that regardless of the autopsy says caused his death vitamin D deficiency was at the root. I would also wager, that he had osteoporosis. Imagine how "bad" he'd be if he had his health. My goes out to him and his family.

I didn't know Michael had lupus! I don't know if you remember this but it was in the news, last year, that he needed a lung transplant. I truly thought that he would be dead soon.

No Michael is not the youngest. It was Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon, Michael. Randy and Janet are the youngest I do believe. although I was much more on top of my J5 trivia 35 years ago

Just had to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eedR...16F07BE&index=2

Last edited by black57 : Sat, Jun-27-09 at 18:00.
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 17:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeph317
my son has been taking 2000iu of D3 for several months and we recently increased him, first to 10,000, then to 50,000, hoping to improve his osteoporosis. we went to an amusement park yesterday with our youth group and he was one of the only people who didn't get burnt. my son is extremely pale and i was sure he'd end up burning. i was going to have him use sunscreen after some time in the sun but it ended up never being necessary. we were in the florida sunshine from 9am til 6pm. of course he wasn't in the sun that whole time but most of it!

Wow, Zeph317, great story. I am black, therefore my daughter is black . Well, actually she is sort of an Asian yellow. I will never forget when she burned in the son during band camp. I did not think that as strange at all since she is rather pale but, I wonder if she would have burned at all if she had enough vitamin D. Her husband who is white, is quite pale ( blond haired and blue eyed ) and he burns easily. I am going to tell them both about your story. I have been getting my daughter to take vitamin D3 supplements but I don't think she takes enough. She had asthma and pneumonia within the past 4 months. I usually lurk on this thread and rarely comment but I am sooooo glad it is here.
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-09, 15:26

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Wow, Zeph317, great story. I am black, therefore my daughter is black . Well, actually she is sort of an Asian yellow. I will never forget when she burned in the son during band camp. I did not think that as strange at all since she is rather pale but, I wonder if she would have burned at all if she had enough vitamin D. Her husband who is white, is quite pale ( blond haired and blue eyed ) and he burns easily. I am going to tell them both about your story. I have been getting my daughter to take vitamin D3 supplements but I don't think she takes enough. She had asthma and pneumonia within the past 4 months. I usually lurk on this thread and rarely comment but I am sooooo glad it is here.

hope it helps! i was surprised by how well he did in the sun. he's so very pale and now has a little color from a day in the sun. it's so reassuring to know i won't have to worry about it next time we spend the day outside. i've been taking it too and am very pale but have gotten a great tan this summer. it's funny comparing my arms to my stomach (i certainly don't wear a two piece!).

we will definitely keep taking the D3!
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-09, 03:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

From American Medical News:

Quote:
AMA meeting: Vitamin D checks urged

Studies associate low levels with increased risk of disease, but more extensive research is needed before testing and supplementation become routine.

By Victoria Stagg Elliott, AMNews staff. Posted June 29, 2009.

Physicians should consider assessing 25-hydroxyvitamin D in patients most likely to have low levels of the hormone. These patients should then be counseled about ways to improve their vitamin D status, according to a Council on Science and Public Health report adopted at the AMA's Annual Meeting.

"We need to get the word out to doctors to measure vitamin D levels in patients who might be deficient," said Sandra Fryhofer, MD, the member of the council who presented the report during the meeting.

The action was taken because a growing body of literature indicates that intake of vitamin D, which is primarily obtained from being exposed to the sun and drinking fortified milk, has gone down. Recommendations for how much is needed to be healthy also may be too low. Studies have connected vitamin D depletion to bone problems, some cancers, cognitive decline, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and several autoimmune conditions.

"The importance of vitamin D has certainly expanded beyond endocrinologists' interest in bone health," said Vineeth Mohan, MD, who was speaking for the Endocrine Society.

It's the latest move by medical societies and government agencies on this subject. The American Academy of Pediatrics published a statement Oct. 31, 2008, in Pediatrics doubling the recommended intake from 200 to 400 IU for babies, children and adolescents.

Examining vitamin D research

The Institute of Medicine's Food and Nutrition Board is reviewing the data, along with that for calcium, and is expected to come out with revised recommendations within the next two years. The issue also has come up at several endocrinology meetings, and some physicians recommend their patients take as much as 1,000 to 2,000 IU of vitamin D daily.

But delegates expressed caution about coming out with too strong of a recommendation. Research that low vitamin D levels are associated with worse health outcomes is compelling. But data are lacking that low levels cause problems and that increasing intake makes a difference.

There's also concern about balancing the risk for skin cancer since vitamin D is most easily derived from exposure to sunlight. For these reasons, the council also asked for continued research. The report also called for the AMA to educate physicians on the evolving science around vitamin D.

"Vitamin D is hot, and not just because it's a sunshine vitamin. ... The [associated] research is promising, but we still need clinical trials" Dr. Fryhofer said.

Physicians suggested that some patients, such as those who have dark complexions but, because of their religious beliefs, rarely expose their skin to sunlight could be assumed to be vitamin D deficient. They most likely don't need to be tested. Rather, a trial of vitamin D supplementation can be tried to assess whether this strategy relieves whatever symptoms they are experiencing.

The print version of this content appeared in the July 6, 2009 issue of American Medical News.

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/20...29/prsg0629.htm
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-09, 05:31

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
But delegates expressed caution about coming out with too strong of a recommendation. Research that low vitamin D levels are associated with worse health outcomes is compelling. But data are lacking that low levels cause problems and that increasing intake makes a difference.
Ok...stuff like this makes me want to break things. WHERE WAS THE CAUTION WHEN THEY STARTED RECOMMENDING WE ALL HIDE FROM THE SUN????

They changed the way people lived in a heartbeat, but when that proves to not work as intended, suddenly we are all supposed to be so careful???
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-09, 05:57

BF:
Thumbs down 'As Expected'

Lord... I was going to quote the same paragraph. Do these people read what they write? "...data are lacking that low levels cause problems and that increasing intake makes a difference." Really?! Sadly, this is 'as expected' for a news article like this anymore. I concur with the 'makes me want to break things' sentiment.

What's funny and ironic though is delegates expressing '...caution about coming out with too strong of a recommendation...' When in reality the recommendation really isn't all that significant in the grand scheme of D adequacy; An improvement, but nothing that's going to make a huge difference for the majority of individuals. Many would probably experience little if any movement in their D substrate level, especially if they've got preexisting deficiency.

Quote:
There's also concern about balancing the risk for skin cancer since vitamin D is most easily derived from exposure to sunlight. For these reasons, the council also asked for continued research.
And the dogma that UV exposure = skin cancer continues... or should I say that the oversimplified dogma that UV exposure is the sole determinant in skin cancer development continues. Many still do not equate the UV exposure with heightened nutrient demands and potential creation of deficiencies that help drive the cancer development (for which a careful nutrient dense diet can help one avoid).

Last edited by Jayppers : Mon, Jun-29-09 at 06:15.
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-09, 08:11

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I got more details on my friend's buddy who died of melanoma...

She never went out in the sun. She developed lesions under her breast and on her lower spine.

OBVIOUSLY the sun did not cause the cancer that killed her at age 35.

Last edited by Wifezilla : Mon, Jun-29-09 at 08:58.
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-09, 08:18

BF:

What is also frustratng is how blacks are encouraged to use suncscreen and they are most likely to suffer from vitamin D deficiency. Dr. Oz said, on Oprah, that blacks have a SPF factor of 500. Then why are we using sunscreen? Not long agao, I began every summer with a trip to the drug store to get the family's suncscreen supply for the summer. Now, I tell everyone not to worry about using it. I even tell my husband not to use it and he is white.
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-09, 08:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
I got my details on my friend's buddy who died of melanoma...

She never went out in the sun. She developed lesions under her breast and on her lower spine.

OBVIOUSLY the sun did not cause the cancer that killed her at age 35.

That being said Wifey, vitamin D could have saved her. My doctor is sick...very sick. One of his illnesses is a break down in his immune system. I plan to call him today to coax him to have his vitamin D tested. I have to figure out a way to "prescribe" this treatment so that he'll listen to me.