Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#151   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 16:06
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
So far nothing bad except dairy tends to constipate me.

Linus Pauling was right about many things Vitamin C, and especially right about Vitamin C being both a preventative of, and a cure for constipation. Preventative: 1000mg a day. Cure: 2000mg+ (to what's called 'bowel tolerance' - and once you've hit it, you'll know - then back off until you're at the right number for you). Works like a charm, and every time.

One note: the usual form, ascorbic acid, is tough on the tummy. I bought a huge bottle of Ester-C (most gentle and bioavailable form) on the net for practically pennies.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 16:49
Registered Member

Default The more fat you eat, the more body fat you burn. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ
Your body isn't going to burn body fat if there's enough dietary fat to burn. Yes you'll be a fat burning machine, but you'll first of all burn the fat that comes from your diet and only when and if they're unecessary you'll also burn body fat. Studies have been clear on that, if there's enough fat to cover your energy needs, you won't burn a single gram of body fat even on a ketogenic diet.

I'm assuming you mean actual, controlled double-blind studies on humans, and not indexes of studies of studies of studies of rats. If so, please post the links to those studies here because there's not a single iota of truth in your assertion. I don't know why these old myths keep circulating.

In fact, the opposite is true: the more fat you ingest (absent high carbs and absent high protein) the MORE stored body fat you'll burn. The less fat you ingest, the LESS stored body fat you'll burn. That's because for our bodies, survival is everything - and as long as you are not ingesting enough fat, it will keep the fat cell spigots closed. In addition, the more fat you ingest as your main fuel, the more calories your body must use to convert that fat to fuel - and the more fuel will be needed for the kind of tissue and muscle repair that used to come from protein.

That's why Dr. K's diet accelerates stored body fat loss, not slows it down. That's why everyone who has started this plan has noticed, if not scale weight loss immediately - then body fat loss. Because this is how the biology actually works in real life, if not always on the ersatz, Academic page.

Lisa
  #153   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 17:03

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
optimal health. Protein/fat ratios are closer to 1: 1.5. But if you give me your age, weight in kilos and height in centimeters, I'll plug the numbers in and get you the beginning stats.

OK, here goes:
height: 170 cm
weight: 131.8 kg
  #154   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 17:03
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ
The body can't compensate by dissipating extra calories as heat

Can - and does.

Quote:
The body wants it to be calories in - calories out, I want it too ...

That you want it and thus it seems to be true for you - no argument. For the other 6 billion humans on this planet? Not at all.

Quote:
I think the true reason why they work so well for fat loss is appetite control

Don't mean to be rude, but you simply do not know what you're talking about. Your assertion has been disproven six ways from Sunday, and I just don't have the time or patience to explain how or why. From time to time folks come on to this forum and with less than three dozen posts, they try to 'explain' the facts of life to people who have been practicing this WOE for decades. I'll offer you some advice, which you are free to take or leave - but won't respond to any more of your posts. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do that.

Here's the advice: you're new here. Spend the next month or so reading these threads, learning about the people on this forum who have a lot more knowledge and experience than you do - and learning from them. And read a lot more good books on the subject - like actually READING Taubes, and not just reviews. Then post away.

FWIW,

Lisa
  #155   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 17:08

BF:

Quote:
Geekette to the rescue!

1: Get thee to your nearest computer store and spend less than ten bucks on a thumb (flash) drive. For that price these days you should get about half a gigabyte.

2: Stick the flash drive into any USB port on your laptop. Move a ton of data from the laptop to the drive. Think of this as an extra backup.

3: Install calulator program. Plug in your numbers. Write them down.

4: Uninstall program.

I've already basically done that, though moved over every bit of data that I could from the laptop to the external drive. That freed up 20G from the HD on the laptop. It's just been a matter of principal that I not install *any* new program on the C-drive. But just last night I was thinking maybe I could install the program, work out some numbers, and then uninstall it. Great minds think alike. But I'm still annoyed at the setup program for being so dumb.
  #156   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 17:12
Registered Member

Default Stats for Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
height: 170 cm
weight: 131.8 kg

Debbie - here are stats. When you read them, please remember that the first month is the hardest, that they are based on your real due weight - and that they show why you're currently stalled. The good news is that if you follow this, you will be stalled no more.

First month (P/F/NC): 64/ 97-129 / 32-52

Second month: 52-64/ 155-219/ 39-52

Third month: 45-58/ 148-213/ 45-58

Thereafter, until goal: 39-52/ 142-206/ 52-64

I know you're probably not happy with these, but I would urge you to give it a try as is, and not go to the +10% protein, which might derail you at your current weight. However, given that you've been LC'ing for so long and are already in fat burning mode, I'm betting you would be safe going to the lower limit of fat for the second month.

Lisa
  #157   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 17:17

BF:

Quote:
Debbie - none here either. Yes, you have programs on your C drive, and you can leave them there. But you've got MASSES of data (in WORD, for instance, that would be .docs and in Excel that would be spreadsheets) that can easily be moved anywhere you like, temporarily or even permanently if you want.

Oh, agreed, I moved all that stuff a long time ago. But even with all the *data* moved off to the external drive my HD is still not infinite, so my rant is mostly over the principal of the think. I have this perfectly good external drive with 300GB free on it, and I'd rather put things there than on the HD with 20GB free.

Now, to try to figure out how on earth I'll calculate what I ate for Easter dinner ....
  #158   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 17:21

Plan: HF/MP/LC
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:26.5
Progress: 43%

Quote:
I've never even gotten past the middle number.

Lisa

Lisa,

I think that you mentioned that you're eating about 1700-1900 calories per day. I'm just curious how you're getting that high with calories without going past the middle with fat grams. It seems like if I keep my protein and carbs low, I have to go high with fat to get to around 1500-1800 calories.

Not that I want to be a sheep or anything, but since you've been doing this plan for a while and are losing fat, I'd appreciate any feedback on this day's food intake if you have any.

Lauren

Goal:
1400-1850 cal
29-46 NC
116-159 F
58 P

Actual:
1508cal
25.7 NC 10%
130 F 76%
53.7 P 14%

5 T. cream (with tea & coffee throughout the day)

breakfast:
3 oz. blueberries, ½ oz. coconut. ½ oz. macadamia nuts, 4 T. marscapone

lunch:
12 shrimp in pepper sauce, salad: lettuce, tomato, pepper, guacamole (about 4.5 oz)

dinner:
3 oz. 80% hamburger patty, ½ oz. cheddar, 3.5 oz. asparagus, 9g butter

snack:
29 g chocolate bar (91%)
  #159   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 17:41

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%
Wink

Certainly a 132 kg person gets more food than a 132 lb person.
Shouldn't Debbie get during month one: 71g protein / 106-142g fat / 35-57g carbs?

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Apr-12-09 at 18:48.
  #160   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 18:11

BF:

Quote:
First month (P/F/NC): 64/ 97-129 / 32-52

WOW, that protein amount is even far less that the amount I'd calculated based on my "due weight" per Dr. K's website. That also works out to only 1257-1625 calories a day! Hey, I thought we could *eat* on this plan? I get faint and dizzy if my calories go that low,

Quote:
Second month: 52-64/ 155-219/ 39-52

Ah, getting up to 1709-2435 calories now, much better numbers. That's about the number of calories that keep me satisfied.

Quote:
Third month: 45-58/ 148-213/ 45-58

Wow, protein is starting to get REALLY low now! I do adore my cheese omelets that I get in the deli at work. Sad to think of seeing them go. But still sadder to drag all this damn weight around of course. One thing I've always loved about LC is that it is such an easy plan to follow when you go out to a restaurant. But I see with numbers like this I'll pretty much have to be a hermit and *never* go to a restaurant to stay within bounds. My fave thing to do is go out to breakfast with son and DiL, but that would probably blow all my daily protein in a single meal.

Quote:
Thereafter, until goal: 39-52/ 142-206/ 52-64

Boy, I'm definitely going to have to check out the number of grams of protein in things now. I have not paid much attention there other than to make sure I had *enough*!

But when you reach goal do the numbers suddenly shoot up? These protein limits are so low compared to what Dr. K says on his website about your protein limit vs. your "due weight".
  #161   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 18:32

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Debbie, I think Lisa gave you numbers for a 132 lb person. For 132 kg, Calculus Victus gives me (for a large frame):

during month one: 71g protein / 106-142g fat / 35-57g carbs
which should be much more satisfying and not require you to be a hermit!

during month two: 57-71g protein / 170-241g fat / 43-57g carbs
during month three: 50-64g protein / 163-234g fat / 50-64g carbs
longer: 43-57g protein / 156-227g fat / 57-71g carbs

Is your frame medium or small? I can re-run numbers for you.

The "longer" protein amounts range from 0.6-0.8 times your weight in kg, which typically indicate sedentary-light exercise in other protein calculators.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Apr-12-09 at 18:53.
  #162   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 18:55

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I can really relate, Debbie.

Just yesterday I ordered an omelet at a restaurant. Before Dr. K's plan, I would have eaten the entire omelet, figuring protein consumption wasn't an issue (aka Atkins/PP). In addition to the omelet, I ordered a side of mushrooms in butter (yum). It came with an undressed rocket salad (about a large handful). I only ate 1/2 the omelet so probably 1 to 1& 1/2 eggs plus a little cheese and meat.

Surprisingly, it was totally satisfying and I did not feel like I was missing out on anything.

I must say - 12 days ago, I didn't think I could decrease my protein without feeling hungry or even just feeling irritated ('cuz I LIKE a good piece of meat and THEY SAID I could eat as much as I wanted to satisfaction on low carb!). However, after about a week, if you're anything like me, you'll find that it's not so difficult AND it's actually nice to have a bit more carb variety in my diet (I was typically under 20 net carbs per day). With the addition of yogurt and ryvita crackers and sweet potatoes I really feel more satisfied with my menus, even though my protein is at least 1/2 of what I was consuming.

Hopefully we'll all keep posting here and encouraging each other. I am very hopeful that this adjustment of macros will prove successful in restarting my fat loss!
  #163   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 18:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

I downloaded calculus victus. For 5'5" (165 cm), 198lb (90kg rounded up), and 46 years old

shorter than one month I get 60-60 protein, 90-120 fat, and 30-48 carbs
under two month 48-60 protein, 144-203 fat, 34-48 carbs
under three months 42-54 protein, 138-197, 42-54 carbs

My most recent fitday shows me at: 85 protein, 109 fat and 29 carbs (before minusing 11 fiber)
Another recent one is 100 protein, 93 fat and 36 carbs (before minusing 15 fiber)

They're all in those ranges and I've been stalled. If I am understanding correctly, I want to eat no more than 60 protein, 120 fat, and 30-48 carbs this first month? And the 30-48 carbs must be before fiber is minused out I'm thinking.
  #164   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 19:00
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Certainly a 132 kg person gets more food than a 132 lb person.

Sorry, no. The plan doesn't work that way. It takes the height and weight, which I entered correctly as 170 cm. high, 132 kg, and the program calculates what the DUE weight should be. In this case it's 64 kg, which is about 140 pounds. It doesn't matter what the person wants to weigh - it's what the person should weigh. Of course they can stop if and when they get to a higher weight - but they have to follow the plan to get there.

Quote:
Shouldn't Debbie get during month one: 71g protein / 106-142g fat / 35-57g carbs?

I'm don't see why. I entered her as a normal framed person. Very, very few people are truly BIG framed - they'd have to have enormous bone structure and that's rare. Of course, by doing the +/- 10% that is allowed, the protein intake could go as high as 70g per day - but if Debbie is neither a true athlete nor truly big-boned, that would only slow down weight and fat loss.

That's why I urged her not to do the +10, but to give it a try as is, at least for the first month, to see how she does and give this a fair try. Of course it's her choice.

Lisa
  #165   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 19:07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharma
I downloaded calculus victus. For 5'5" (165 cm), 198lb (90kg rounded up), and 46 years old shorter than one month I get 60-60 protein, 90-120 fat, and 30-48 carbs

My most recent fitday shows me at: 85 protein, 109 fat and 29 carbs (before minusing 11 fiber). Another recent one is 100 protein, 93 fat and 36 carbs (before minusing 15 fiber) They're all in those ranges and I've been stalled.

I'm not sure I understand so if I'm missing something please let me know. If the calculus says you should eat 60g protein, and you've been eating 85g and 100g protein - how is that 'in range'? You're eating 50-75% more protein than the program allows, and not enough carbs than the program calls for - though the fat does seem to be 'in range'.

Quote:
If I am understanding correctly, I want to eat no more than 60 protein, 120 fat, and 30-48 carbs this first month? And the 30-48 carbs must be before fiber is minused out I'm thinking.

Almost. You can eat no more than 60g protein - true. You can eat between 90g and 120g of fat - but you must eat between 30-48 carbs after fiber is deducted. The exact proportions matter on this plan.

Lisa
Closed Thread