Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 04:55

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I, too, am planning to be on induction for as long as I still lose. Then I plan to up my carbs accordingly. It does say in DANDR that persons who have more weight to lose could benefit from staying on induction longer than 2 weeks, with a recommended maximum of six months. You may want to re-read the section on induction and OWL for exact word for word quoting and a better understanding. Not everyone can just jump into OWL, as much as we would like to. But everyone is different, so maybe a 2 week induction worked for you.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 07:13

Plan: UltraGlycemix
Stats: 244/240/150
BF:
Progress: 4%
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkLotus
You may want to re-read the section on induction and OWL for exact word for word quoting and a better understanding. Not everyone can just jump into OWL, as much as we would like to.

Thanks, DarkLotus. I am waiting for the new copy of DANDR to get here from Amazon. The copy I have is an older one.

I haven't lost weight yet, and my ketosticks have only occasionally turned slighty... so I suspect I need to stay on a lower level too. I was worried about doing it for long. Good to know it would be safer to do for longer....I certainly feel better than I have in a long time....

When the new book comes (sometime in the next few days) I plan on reading it cover to cover several times!!

I think I'd better stick around this little group, if you'll have me...I need to be successful at the WOL!

Thanks very much,

Misty
  #18   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 08:53

Plan: LowCarb since 2/1/08
Stats: 312/312/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default lots of weight

From Dr. Atkins, it is my understanding that if you have a significant amount of weight to loose, you should be on induction level of carbs until you reach a weight (your choice) that you feel you can switch to the OWL. For me, it might be around 200 or so. I really haven't thought about that level yet. I hope this clarifies my thinking. Please let me know if you have read something different. I know the book can be pretty confusing at times.

Thanks!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 11:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/245/150
BF:
Progress: 10%
Cool

MistyBee

Some people, when they have a large amount to lose stay on the induction phase for longer than the two weeks. I know for myself, I plan on staying on the restricted carbs until I get to about 175 lbs. I have found that once I start adding carbs it slows down my weight loss, so I end up staying in the 20 -30 carb range anyhow. For most people it is a personal perference.

I am glad to see more Buddies joining us. More support and knowledge is always a good thing

D
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 05:59

BF:
Thumbs up Re: lots of weight

Quote:
Originally posted by 2OnAtkins
From Dr. Atkins, it is my understanding that if you have a significant amount of weight to loose, you should be on induction level of carbs until you reach a weight (your choice) that you feel you can switch to the OWL. For me, it might be around 200 or so. I really haven't thought about that level yet. I hope this clarifies my thinking. Please let me know if you have read something different. I know the book can be pretty confusing at times.

Thanks for the explanation - you all have been a great help! I am waiting for my 2002 edition to arrive and then will read it from cover to cover.

I have not lost weight trying this plan, so I am hoping that reading some more will help me to find the holes in what I am doing. I know, for example, that I haven't really been drinking enough water. I also haven't been able to get my ketostix to turn more than a slight coloring. I am thinking that the maybe I should try a lower carb level for a bit, maybe 15 to 20 instead of 20 to 30. Or maybe I should look at the tyupe of foods that I am eating, and think about donig a "cleaner" induction level for a while. Of course the other thing is, I haven't been doing my walking. Maybe if I did my walking, my body would start burning that fat....

I am waiting for the book before I make major changes, I want to see what his latest findings and thoughts are... after all, Dr. A has been doing this a long time!

I am really glad you guys are here. It is going to be wild when I am thinner - I haven't been below 220 in a decade.

-Misty
  #21   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 06:32

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

MistyBee, I definately agree with you that you should thoroughly read the book before making any drastic changes. I did read your journal (very interesting to read!) and I really think you do need to lower your carbs a bit maybe down near the recommended 20, but you can decide all that after you read the book.

Anyone in this whole forum will tell you that drinking water is one of the most important parts of this WOL. I wouldn't even bother with keto sticks, and besides, I have read that you do not want the keto stick to turn a darker color, because that would mean you aren't getting enough water. I don't use the sticks at all, so you may want to check with someone who does use them.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 22:02

BF:
Default Ketosis Vs Glucosis

Quote:
MistyBee, I definately agree with you that you should thoroughly read the book before making any drastic changes.

Thanks Dark Lotus, I am in the middle of reading both the 2002 Atkins and Dana Carpenter's book. I have been keeping my carbs at between 20 and 30 - closer to 20 - for over a week and haven't lost weight, but I have my TOM now. Atkins says in his book that it can take longer if it is your TOM when you start.

Anyway, I feel tons healthier than I did eating all those carbs so I am going with it... of course I want to lose weight too,

but you know how it is, I have to "turn it over" and just do today, or I feel too overwhelmed.

It's great to not feel so sleepy in the afternoons at work anymore. A big, big plus.

I have been stuggling to get enough veggies but I am committing to trying to eat more of them as my carb source and less dairy, etc!

A day at a time, for me....

Quote:
Anyone in this whole forum will tell you that drinking water is one of the most important parts of this WOL.

Thanks, I am trying but its another tough one! I am thirstier on this WOE, though, that's for sure! Amazing, I never used to feel thirsty at all...

Thanks,
Misty

#23   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 22:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/218/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hello

I would love to be your buddy as well. I have a long ways to go about 95 more pounds to lose untill I am at my goal weight. I am on day two and this is my first try. Today I am close to 20! YAYY! I am so proud of myself! I did alot of walking today as well and got the book. Good luck to you! I will be on my IN for 2 weeks then go up by 5 after that. I have started a journal so feel free to read it when you have the time. I am a newbie and joined yesturday but I have been active alot on here Good Luck on WOE!