Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 03:57
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Overcoming Setpoints

Hi all,

I've already posted a success story; I posted it when I got down to 153/154 pounds. That was over two years ago now. It was exhilarating to have got down to the lowest weight I had achieved when dieting as a teenager. I don't need to repeat all that now; you can always read that first success story, it's still there.

I wanted to come in here though, to emphasise that persistence really will pay off. It was wonderful to get to 153/154, and I stayed there for a few months, but then I got a little too complacent waiting for the next whoosh, and started putting on a few pounds. Not too many; at my highest, carbed up after vacation, I saw 163. It was an up and down kind of thing, but not up and down fifty pounds more like five. However, at the end of 2005, I was trying my best to get back down to 154, but I couldn't make it past 157.

2006 was more of the same up and down - until the summer, when I decided enough was enough. I must point out that with all this, I was firmly low carb at least 85% of the time - I just know that for me it needs to be even higher, or the pounds do start creeping back on.

By September last year I'd managed to get back to 154, and I even got a bit lower. Beat that setpoint. Then in November, at about 151, I went travelling for business - weeks in London, New York and Toronto. It was also a time of seeing friends, partying - and some stress from a break-up with a boyfriend. So for two months or so while I was again at 85% levels, I wasn't 100%. And I wasn't counting calories, either, which I'd done during the summer when I was losing weight.

*so*

why am I posting now? Because once it got to early January I knew it was time to fully get back on track again. I was delighted to find I was only at 153.2 when I got on the scale after a week of de-carbing my system.

It's been a month today of fully low-carb and relatively low-calorie eating, and this morning I weighed 147.4

So - I spent two years struggling to stay near the 154 mark. At one point I was beginning to fear I'd never even see it again, let along go further towards my goal weight. But persistence really is key.

It may seem crazy to celebrate being only 7 pounds lighter than I was over two years ago - but anyone who has struggled with keeping the weight off, being a turtle, dealing with a sluggish metabolism even *with* the benefits of low-carb...well you'll know why this is something to celebrate.

And I thought it might be a reassurance for others who struggle with losing - even when it seems like you'll never ever lose more...even if it takes years...it can happen! Now I'm finally beginning to believe that I really and truly will make it to goal - possibly even some day soon!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 04:12
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

THIS is one of the most valuable posts I have seen here on this forum in AGES. Well done for your perseverance, and more so for learning that tollerance to losing weight is needed. It's something which I too have had to learn over time.

In the good (early) days of any plan, you get into the euphoria of losing weight, and when you hit on the slow times, it can be so mentally hard, it can almost break you. But you have proved that perseverance really DOES pay off!

Quote:
It may seem crazy to celebrate being only 7 pounds lighter than I was over two years ago - but anyone who has struggled with keeping the weight off, being a turtle, dealing with a sluggish metabolism even *with* the benefits of low-carb...well you'll know why this is something to celebrate.

It doesn't seem crazy to me at all...as a fellow slow loser it makes perfect sense.

I've followed your journal pretty much all along, and whilst I don't post to you, I must tell you that I have found a massive amount of strength from reading your struggles, and your ups and downs, and you're one of the reasons I'm still here today

Words just can't describe how happy I am for you that you hit that new low on the scale. Well done girl, and you keep on keeping on!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 11:00
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

What an excellent post - I'm glad I ventured out of journal land to see what was happening on the main boards.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us - it means a lot. Persistence, and 100% more often than not. Thank you!!!

I've done quite a bit of the 85% thing myself, and just plain 'coasting along', and I really appreciate hearing your experience with getting past them.

This is one of the best posts I've seen in a long time!

And it fits - your nickname "Princess Perserverant" - perfect!

I'm at my two year Atkinsversary, and am nowhere near to goal, but that said, I've done this 85% thing for the past 18 months or so.

Thank you for writing this, it really helps.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 14:38
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Bumping this because it's worth reading!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 10:50

Plan: Healthy Low Carb
Stats: 190/143.6/125 Female 5'2"
BF:Don't want to know
Progress: 71%

I also agree this is a great post. Having done Atkins before, I have no doubt I will take the weight off. BUT, living with lc and getting off those last few pounds are entirely different thing.

You need great persistance and a firm head to find your balance between staying on plan and having a few "real life food situations" occur in your life. Especially when you get close to your final goal, and you know you are not "overweight" anymore. Not blowing the whole thing and going back to your old way of eating and not getting discouraged and quitting are very hard things to do!

Congrats and Kudos to you! Very inspirational!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 11:03

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

Thank you for much needed reassurance. Congrats on your success so far. March was a horrible month for me in regards to eating off plan. After reading your post, I am re-inspired to keep plugging away- anyway!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 14:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/240/165 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Definitely bumping this.

I'm a very slow loser and this story definitely encourages me to keep going.

Thank you!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 18:38
Living Healthy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 281.4/239.4/145 Female 5'4"
BF:imp/rov/ing
Progress: 31%

As always, you're an inspiration Deb!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 02:58
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

thanks everyone

i'm really glad that i've been able to help/inspire. i lost another couple of pounds after i posted that, saw a low of 145, but since then my body has refused to lose any more, so i think i'm seeing a stall. after a few weeks of dieting strictly and still not seeing any progress i've now had a couple of weeks of more 'maintenance' eating, to give my body and mind a rest. not discouraged though; i really really want this year to be the year i see my goal. even if it takes all darn year!

good luck to all of you, too...
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 17:13

Plan: Low Carb Intuitive Eating
Stats: 289.0/261.2/199 Female 71 inches
BF:

** Bumpety Bump Bump Bump **

o^O Dang bodies just seem to have a mind and will of their own sometimes dont they ???

Thanks for sharing this valueable info.. It truly does help to know somebody else went thru exactly the same issues as you and they obtained success by persevering onwards.

Tally ho ! <where's the charging horse and white knight icon when you need it most eh ? >
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 05:02

Plan: Lo-carb. IF 20/4. CKD
Stats: 195/145/155 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 125%

Thanks for reminding me that I CAN beat my "setpoint". My one year aniiversary of low carb is coming up. I am 1.5 lbs. away from a "normal" BMI and am at my lowest weight since my teens. I can't wait to see that BMI change for me! Thank you for the inspiration!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 09:37

Plan: Low Carb Intuitive Eating
Stats: 289.0/261.2/199 Female 71 inches
BF:

Deb,

There seems to be certain weight points that the body just seems to " LIKE " and refuses to budge beyond that point, or budges very begrudgingly and with only a great battle lol.

Any thoughts of why this happens or have you ran across any research that might explain it?