Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 01:56

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The Eternal Dieter

A third of all women have been on diets since they were teenagers, a survey has revealed.

But despite years of agonising over their weight, the majority are fighting a losing battle with the flab.

And alarmingly, ten per cent said they had been on slimming regimes for as long as they could remember.

The figures which revealed women's obsession with diets were published in an independent report commissioned by slimming aid Adios and carried out by the nutrition unit of St Mark's Hospital in Harrow, North London.

The Great British Diet Report survey of 500 adult women found 32 per cent had been dieting since their teens.

'Yo-yo dieters'

Over half of those surveyed described themselves as "yo-yo dieters" - meaning they follow a pattern of starving themselves and then bingeing on fatty foods which make them pile on the pounds.

A third said they had been dieting since having a baby and were finding the extra weight hard to shift. Meanwhile, 69 per cent of those surveyed told how when they lost weight, they were inclined to put it back on.

A third admitted they often put more weight back on than they lost in the first place.

In addition, 55 per cent of respondents claimed that most diet plans are unrealistic and not designed for everyday, normal people.

And 78 per cent were found to overeat when stressed, angry, upset or bored and, as a result, blamed these feelings when they piled on the pounds.

Dr Mike Smith, an independent medical broadcaster and writer, said: "It is clear from this report that most people who want to lose weight find it almost an impossible task.

"This research shows that diets are a big part of people's lives, but many find it extremely difficult to be disciplined enough.

"For those women who have been on the diet treadmill for as long as they can remember, this report may be depressing news."

'Celebrity' eating plans

The findings follow an explosion in the popularity of 'celebrity' eating plans such as the Atkins diet, which are credited with helping stars such as Jennifer Aniston stay slim.

But while women are interested in losing weight, official figures reveal that the nation as a whole is losing the battle of the bulge.

A total of 48 per cent of the UK is overweight and this is expected to increase to 52 per cent by 2006.

Experts say that obesity is a huge threat to the nation's health and is already causing a substantial rise in life-threatening illnesses such as heart disease.

They warn that women who diet constantly are not only damaging their psychological well-being, but are risking their health.

Cutting down on calories or eliminating foods such as dairy produce in an attempt to stay slim can lead to serious deficiencies that trigger problems including the bone-thinning disease osteoporosis.

Health risk

Nutrition-scientist Dr Frankie Phillips, of the British Nutrition Foundation, yesterday said constant dieting could be a risk to health and make people feel bad about themselves.

"Obesity is a serious problem and people do need to keep an eye on their weight," she added.

"But it is no good if they end up constantly on a diet which is faddy, or if they end up yo-yo dieting and piling weight back on.

"A healthy balanced diet with moderate exercise is what people should aim for.

"Include all food groups and don't embark on faddy diets which tell you to shun dairy or wheat, for example.

"If you try to live without a balanced diet, you may end up deficient in vitamins and nutrients."

She said women who want to lose weight should aim to eat around 1,000 to 1,500 calories a day and men around 1,500 calories a day until their target weight is achieved.

But she added: "It is not about starving yourself, because then you are more likely to end up overeating to compensate.

"If your body thinks it is starving, it will try to conserve energy to protect itself and you may be more likely to put on weight. A diet should be realistic."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...98&in_a_source=
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 11:23

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

"Over half of those surveyed described themselves as "yo-yo dieters" - meaning they follow a pattern of starving themselves and then bingeing on fatty foods which make them pile on the pounds."

And the other half are like me. I starved myself then binged on carbs and put it all back on....and more. Sugar is my problem. My fat intake was very low, it was the sugar that did me in.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 20:31

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
"Over half of those surveyed described themselves as "yo-yo dieters" - meaning they follow a pattern of starving themselves and then bingeing on fatty foods which make them pile on the pounds."

And the other half are like me. I starved myself then binged on carbs and put it all back on....and more. Sugar is my problem. My fat intake was very low, it was the sugar that did me in.

I doubt that the binge was really on fatty food. Most likey it was something like pizza or ice cream or mac and cheese that has lots of carbs with some fat. At least those were the kind of things that low-fat eating made me binge on. I never binged on steak or bacon.