Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-12, 18:53

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Unbelievable correspondence with Dr. McDougall regarding Atkins....

I read Dr. McDougall's latest newsletter today. You can read it HERE.

I took issue with this statement:

Quote:
The original Atkins Diet is the ultimate in low-carb eating. This diet works by starving the human body of carbohydrates in order to induce a state of illness (ketosis), which can result in weight loss. People become too sick to eat too much.

In an attempt to remedy the obvious harms to human health caused by very low-carb eating, apologists (including the Atkins Nutritionals) have added fruits and non-starchy vegetables to their programs.

I foolishly thought that if I made this error (about fruits and non-starchy vegetables being a recent addition to the Atkins diet by the Atkins Nutritionals people) known to them, they would change the newsletter. (Yes, I also took issue with the nonsense about ketosis being a "state of illness" but I figured one battle at a time.)

This is the email I sent to Dr. McDougall:

Quote:
I clicked on the first link in your newsletter about the paleo diet and read this:

"The diet does allow for adding fruits, vegetables, and whole-grain foods after the two-week induction period."

However, your newsletter says this:

"In an attempt to remedy the obvious harms to human health caused by very low-carb eating, apologists (including the Atkins Nutritionals) have added fruits and non-starchy vegetables to their programs."

The information at the site linked is correct. Vegetables, fruits and whole grains have been a part of the Atkins diet since the first book, written several decades ago.

Did you not read the information provided at the site you linked to?

I'm sure that, in your desire to give your readers only accurate information, you will make the appropriate corrections to the newsletter ASAP.

(I should have made it clear that the newsletter was about the paleo diet, but the quote I was questioning was about Atkins. Unfortunately, I assumed he KNEW what his newsletter was about.)

Here is the email response I got:

Quote:
The Paleo Diet recommends against grains - are you angry about something?

Angry? Did my email sound angry?

Me:

Quote:
I'm sorry…you seem to have misunderstood. Regarding the Atkins diet, you said : "In an attempt to remedy the obvious harms to human health caused by very low-carb eating, apologists (including the Atkins Nutritionals) have added fruits and non-starchy vegetables to their programs."

However, the link you provided says this: "The diet does allow for adding fruits, vegetables, and whole-grain foods after the two-week induction period."

There is obviously some kind of misunderstanding here. Please explain.

(And I have to admit I am very confused by your question, "are you angry about something". No, I'm not angry about anything. I just did not understand the disconnect between the information in your newsletter and that of the link you provided.)

McDougall:

Quote:
The first link is to a webmd article about Atkins - showing you it is essentially a no carb diet.

The second link is to Atkins Nutritionals - showing how they (the company) changed the original Atkins diet by adding non-starchy fruits and vegetables, etc. An apology for feeding a diet of bacon, cheese, and pork chops.

The Paleo Diet forbids all grains, legumes, and potatoes.

Me:

Quote:
Yes, the first link is to a webmd article about Atkins. And it says "The diet does allow for adding fruits, vegetables, and whole-grain foods after the two-week induction period." (These are carbs. Proving it is not "essentially a no carb diet".)

I have provided that quote to you three times now. Please, please, just read the information at the link you provided.

The original Atkins diet, as evidenced by the link you provided includes non-starchy vegetables, fruits and whole grains. (These are carbs.)

I am not trying to be difficult. I just would really like you to read the link you provided.

I'm not talking about the paleo diet. I'm trying to point out to you that you have made a mistake regarding the Atkins diet.

Please re-read your newsletter. Then read all the information at the link you provided. (Meaning: Don't take my word for it!)

Then amend your newsletter to reflect the actual facts regarding the Atkins diet.

Thanks!

(I realize after re-reading this that I did not actually provide that quote three times. I guess it just felt like it.)

McDougall:

Quote:
You obviously do not understand the original Akins diet - again, you sound angry.

Me: (Attempting to NOT sound angry)
Quote:
Hi again! I wonder whom I'm talking to. Dr. McDougall? An employee? Whoever this is, Hello!

I feel like there's a big misunderstanding here. You don't seem to be responding to the emails I'm sending, lol. I apologize if I'm not making myself clear.

My understanding of the original Atkins diet comes solely from the link you provided. It says "The diet does allow for adding fruits, vegetables, and whole-grain foods after the two-week induction period."

That's all this correspondence is about. There's no anger about anything at all. Read the info regarding the Atkins diet at the link you provided and then amend the information in your newsletter. (Actually, you don't even have to click on your own link. I've given you the quote several times.)

McDougall:
Quote:
That's the apologists talking = "The diet does allow for adding fruits, vegetables, and whole-grain foods after the two-week induction period."

Not the original atkins diet:

Steak with Bearnaise sauce, eggs and bacon, cheddar cheese omelets -- don't hold the yolks, Roquefort dressing, and silky smooth avocado cream soup made with real cream? These rich foods are allowed as part of the controversial diet described in Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, a phenomenal best seller, and several follow-up books, including the 2010 New Atkins for a New You.

Read the book: Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution

Me:
Quote:
Apologists? The quote I sent you is from the same source as the quote you just sent me…WebMD!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/atkins-diet-what-it-is

The original Atkins diet (not some kind of misinformation from "apologists") starts with "steak with Bernaise sauce, eggs and bacon, cheddar cheese omelets", but after two weeks it includes fruits, vegetables and whole grain foods.

If you want to have any kind of credibility, you have to provide people with accurate information.

I love the McDougall diet. Please don't let me down. Please be honest and factual in all your writings. There's no reason not to.

I admit, I do love the idea of the McDougall diet. However, the more I read of his writings, the more I wonder how much he is prevaricating.

Anyway, that was the last email I got from them. The whole thing is bizarre and very disturbing. I don't know if I should be posting this here, but I thought there might be others who are confused about all of this who would like to know the truth.

I'm very sorry to find that either Dr. McDougall or the person who answers his emails doesn't care for the truth at all. And I don't know why. I thought he was interested in helping people achieve better health. Now I think he either wants to sell books or he has an animal rights agenda.

Last edited by HappyLC : Thu, Jul-05-12 at 19:59.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-12, 19:36

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

This happened to me when I read a review of The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, written (the review) by Jimmy Moore. I have adored Jimmy Moore. He was my guru forever. (ETA: bear with me, there ends up being a point here... I swear...)

What he wrote about CAD was that one is allowed "ZERO" (the all caps were his) carbs at two meals a day, then a binge was encouraged.

This diet never, ever, ever advocates zero carbs at any meal. None. In fact the diet *requires* vegetables, and a lot of them, at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I tried to get him to correct his review and he smarmied around snottily about how he had invited the Drs. Heller (the authors of the book) to correct him on his blog. I tried to impress upon him that that is not required; he is the one who blatantly misstated the diet, in all caps, no less, and several times.

He snotted back about how the Hellers could still post on his blog.

Yes, I'm SURE that would be fair game. And geeeeeeeeee. It would lead people yet again back to Moore's blog, eh?

We think these people want us to be healthy, but the bottom line is, they're selling something. They don't love us. Sometimes, they don't even like us (as evidenced by my exchange with Jimmy Moore above). They want to get money.

The can and will attack and misstate. They do. You've seen it. I've seen it. You're talking to writers and salespeople. They don't care whether you or I live or die, not really. They have *some* science...and we must cross-check that and if it's good, take it, and if it's bad, leave it.

That's all any of us can do, sadly. But then again, it makes us good researchers and great fact-checkers! And it will probably make us healthier in the long run. It's not all gloom and doom, there's a silver lining -- we are forced to educate ourselves.

Last edited by Glendora : Thu, Jul-05-12 at 20:39.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-12, 19:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora
We think these people want us to be healthy, but the bottom line is, they're selling something. They don't love us. Sometimes, they don't even like us (as evidenced by my exchange with Jimmy Moore above). They want to get money.

The can and will attack and misstate. They do. You've seen it. I've seen it. You're talking to writers and salespeople. They don't care whether you or I live or die, not really. They have *some* science...and we must cross-check that and if it's good, take it, and if it's bad, leave it.

Thanks, Glendora. Yes, I do (did) think these people want us to be healthy. I have spent this evening really upset by this email exchange. I guess I have to grow up and realize that these people have their bottom line at heart, not my health.

I still don't understand it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-12, 19:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
Thanks, Glendora. Yes, I do (did) think these people want us to be healthy. I have spent this evening really upset by this email exchange. I guess I have to grow up and realize that these people have their bottom line at heart, not my health.

I still don't understand it.

Oh hon. There are people who care about your health, your family, I'm assuming, and friends, both IRL and online. I know it stinks to have a hero knocked down a peg or two (I don't literally mean he was your hero, just a figure of speech). I think some of these people started in the right place, then got greedy.

I am very sure there are people in your life who would like nothing better than to see you be healthy. I actually don't blame you at all for being upset about your exchange. If it helps any, you were 100% rational, non-confrontational and not (snort! double-snort) "angry."
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-12, 20:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora
Oh hon. There are people who care about your health, your family, I'm assuming, and friends, both IRL and online. I know it stinks to have a hero knocked down a peg or two (I don't literally mean he was your hero, just a figure of speech). I think some of these people started in the right place, then got greedy.

I am very sure there are people in your life who would like nothing better than to see you be healthy. I actually don't blame you at all for being upset about your exchange. If it helps any, you were 100% rational, non-confrontational and not (snort! double-snort) "angry."

Thanks, Glendora, for thinking I was rational and not angry.

I know that my family and friends want me to be healthy, but they don't claim to be experts. I want the people who claim to be health experts to actually BE health experts and not just assh*les who have some kind of agenda or want to sell books.

I guess I fell for the notion that vegans are super-caring people interested in the health of people and the planet. (Cue new-agey music here.)

Anyway, thanks for being rational and kind.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-12, 21:13

BF:

I sent one last email to Dr. McDougall:

Quote:
I just wanted to let you know (whoever it is I was corresponding with earlier today) that I take all of this very seriously, since I had uterine cancer last year. I had a diagnosis of cancer last August. On September 2, 2011 I had a radical hysterectomy. I have been trying to eat right and learn as much as I can ever since. I trusted Dr. McDougall. After seeing the inaccuracies in his most recent newsletter I thought I should email him and let him know.

The replies I got were bizarre, to say the least. Telling me I sound angry? What the heck? Give those emails to ANY normal person and ask them if I sound angry. On the contrary, I sound perfectly rational. The person on the other end (please don't let it be Dr. McDougall) is the one who comes off as, if not angry, then at least irrational.

I just wanted to say that you have a very grave responsibility. People who are very sick turn to you for information, advice and comfort. Please don't lie to them. You don't have to prove that the Atkins diet is bad. Just tell them how good the McDougall diet is. Give them the facts about your own diet and trust them to make the right decision.

Last edited by HappyLC : Fri, Jul-06-12 at 01:58.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 07:40

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

They still got it wrong in what they wroteto you
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougall
the original atkins diet:

Steak with Bearnaise sauce, eggs and bacon, cheddar cheese omelets -- don't hold the yolks, Roquefort dressing, and silky smooth avocado cream soup made with real cream? These rich foods are allowed as part of the controversial diet described in Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, a phenomenal best seller, and several follow-up books, including the 2010 New Atkins for a New You.

Read the book: Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution
In DANDR the rules for induction are
Quote:
3. Eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, most of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables. You can eat approximately three cups-loosely packed-of salad, or two cups of salad plus one cup of other vegetables (see the list of acceptable vegetables on pages 125-126).

Don't you love it when they don't even get the info they are referring to right!! Looks like they didn't follow their own advice to READ DANDR!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 08:05

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

McDougall sells a very expensive live-in program. It goes for more than 2 grand for a week. So we know he's got something to sell. Atkins also sold something, so we can't dismiss any of it just because they have something to sell. However, when you compare the discourse of each salesman, you can see clearly who is willing to test his product in a fair comparison. Somehow I doubt Atkins would have told anybody "you sound angry" in reply to a genuine inquiry about his product, or about a competing product.

My personal experience tells me low-carb advocates are more than willing to answer questions honestly to the best of their knowledge. Low-fat advocates, not so much. Also from my personal experience, low-carb advocates almost always appear more knowledgeable about the subject, yet acknowledge that knowledge is still not totally complete.

I remember watching a video where McDougall was explaining the virtues of sugar, and bashing Atkins. He explained that Atkins makes us sick, and his only argument was that it did stuff to health markers. The problem is that the same argument can also be made for any diet, including McDougall's, because they also do stuff with health markers in the same way. So if Atkins makes us sick because of that, and if McGougall's also does the same things, then shouldn't we conclude that it also makes us sick? One person with whom I had a lengthy discussion on that explained how Atkins makes us sick, and provided a shoddy experimental study where the subjects were allowed to choose their own dietary intervention. Tsk tsk.

Consider that if McDougall did not talk about Atkins, his audience would be that much smaller because the name Atkins is already extremely popular. So that could be the only reason he's bashing it. From that point of view, it doesn't really matter if what McDougall says is true or not, he's still got the publicity anyway just by mentioning the name. Come to think of it, before I watched McDougall's video of him bashing Atkins because it makes us sick, I'd never heard of McDougall so I guess it works.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 08:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It sounds like T. Campbell's tactic when Denise took apart "The China Study"
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 08:23
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Steak with Bearnaise sauce, eggs and bacon, cheddar cheese omelets -- don't hold the yolks, Roquefort dressing, and silky smooth avocado cream soup made with real cream?

They appear to be quoting from Web MD or some other internet source. Searching for those words lists a bunch of other sites with the same quote.

I know I've read this phrase before, it might have been in the original 1972 Atkins book but it's not the whole plan.

Beth
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 08:53
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

It sounds like the kind of blurb they would put on the book cover as an introduction to entice you to buy the book.

Last edited by MizKitty : Fri, Jul-06-12 at 10:12.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 09:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
silky smooth avocado cream soup

Do they not realise that avocados are fruits??
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 09:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihnig
They appear to be quoting from Web MD or some other internet source. Searching for those words lists a bunch of other sites with the same quote.

I know I've read this phrase before, it might have been in the original 1972 Atkins book but it's not the whole plan.

Beth

Yup, and the quote itself says part of, not the whole program. So saying this is the whole program is bogus from any angle...including the very quote McDougall used to prove his erroneous point. :headslap:

"Steak with Bearnaise sauce, eggs and bacon, cheddar cheese omelets -- don't hold the yolks, Roquefort dressing, and silky smooth avocado cream soup made with real cream? These rich foods are allowed as part of the controversial diet described in Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, a phenomenal best seller, and several follow-up books, including the 2010 New Atkins for a New You." (bolding mine)

Geez, what a knob, seriously. I mean I'm sorry but...come on. Even within the quote he himself uses it says all this cheesy creamy bacony-stuff is only a part of the plan, from the word go.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 10:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
Do they not realise that avocados are fruits??

Well...if they can't even read one simple quote in its entirety, then no, I wouldn't be surprised at a lack of the knowledge that avocados are a fruit.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 11:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac

Consider that if McDougall did not talk about Atkins, his audience would be that much smaller because the name Atkins is already extremely popular. So that could be the only reason he's bashing it. From that point of view, it doesn't really matter if what McDougall says is true or not, he's still got the publicity anyway just by mentioning the name. Come to think of it, before I watched McDougall's video of him bashing Atkins because it makes us sick, I'd never heard of McDougall so I guess it works.

You're so right. He is using Dr. Atkins' name recognition to boost sales. Everyone has heard of Atkins, but I've never met anyone IRL who knows who McDougall is.

I hope my posts from last night didn't sound too crazy. I was very upset. What a waste of my time and emotion. I'm glad I came here to vent. Everybody here is always REALLY helpful.