Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-12, 17:41

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Yeah, this is the thread I belong in!

I wish I had started cutting back on the bad carbs sooner. It has been about a year and a half, 20ish pound down. Feeling greater than ever.

My take is that some people really need the structure of a "plan" like Atkins. And that's great for them. But others, like me, get wigged out by that kind of thing. It is just a mindset thin, in my opinion.

But for the most part, my WOE is way lower than SAD. Also, I try to stick to a six hour eating window. ("Intermittent fasting"). What is great is that I never really have to obsess about what I eat. My holiday meal today was at a family event. I had two hot dogs and one bun, with some kind of bean salad. Nobody would have ever noticed that I was doing anything unusual. But I got my 4th of July fix, without any disruption or special requests. And it was good and we all had fun.

I am not knocking Atkins. I am just saying that it's one of those plans that turns off some people at the start. Or even before the start. Cutting out the bad carbs is the way to go. If you think that charting your own course is the way to go, then do it. In the end it's up to you. Just do it!
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 17:37

Plan: CAD
Stats: 242/189.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

shannone10 - I too was excited when I found this group although it isn't very active.
You know I read several low carb books and they vary in some ways and in other ways they agree... one says you can't do this and another says you can't do that. This is when I saw that a lot of the "no no's" were a bunch of crap and I decided to take the best ideas that I found from what I read and form my own way of doing low carb. I've just started doing my own thing. I like the Intermittent Fasting woe but don't do it. I also like the Intuitive Eating woe where I only eat when I'm hungry so I don't eat by the clock or just because it is time to eat. I've made some changes from some higher carb foods to lower ones. Example, I like milk, but I don't like almonds. However, I learned that I like Almond milk so I've lowered my milk carbs down to 1 from 12. I don't have any restrictions if something comes up and I need or desire to eat a little .higher carbs. I eat breakfast when I want it and I eat one main meal a day because DH only wants one actual meal daily. I know I'm a night eater so I have adjusted my plan so I can eat what I want and it works and I'm happier. I hope the weight starts coming down.
  #108   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-12, 18:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyann68
shannone10 - I too was excited when I found this group although it isn't very active.
You know I read several low carb books and they vary in some ways and in other ways they agree... one says you can't do this and another says you can't do that. This is when I saw that a lot of the "no no's" were a bunch of crap and I decided to take the best ideas that I found from what I read and form my own way of doing low carb. I've just started doing my own thing. I like the Intermittent Fasting woe but don't do it. I also like the Intuitive Eating woe where I only eat when I'm hungry so I don't eat by the clock or just because it is time to eat. I've made some changes from some higher carb foods to lower ones. Example, I like milk, but I don't like almonds. However, I learned that I like Almond milk so I've lowered my milk carbs down to 1 from 12. I don't have any restrictions if something comes up and I need or desire to eat a little .higher carbs. I eat breakfast when I want it and I eat one main meal a day because DH only wants one actual meal daily. I know I'm a night eater so I have adjusted my plan so I can eat what I want and it works and I'm happier. I hope the weight starts coming down.

Hey there Pattyann. It's good to here that I'm not the only person on the planet who can't tolerate diet book rules! So your plan makes perfect sense to me. It's not a "lose weight quick" approach, which is good. I think you will be surprised to see how steadily the pounds will come off. And it won't be the induction water weight thing. Good luck I will keep an eye out for your posts.
  #109   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-12, 15:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I am with you both!! Been looking at Intuitive Eating along with low carb since Im Diabetic. Good to "find" you both! K
  #110   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-12, 05:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP/GI
Stats: 235/212.7/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Oh, there are more of us out here, I'm sure. My weight loss on this program (GI/GL, e.g., no white stuff like sugar, wheat, potatoes, white rice) is ve-e-e-ery slow, but I sure do feel better and cravings are, for the most part, nonexistent. But I CAN have those things if I want, just in small quantities. I usually choose not to eat them, but knowing I can removes the restriction and I don't feel deprived, which means binges are unlikely.

Sharon
  #111   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-12, 20:14

Plan: LCHF - my way
Stats: 309/233.2/194 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default LCHF plus calorie counting

I too am losing weight with lower carb, but not enough to put me into Ketosis. I count calories via MYFitnessPal, which also tells me my carb/fat/protein percentages.

I try to MTBC, make the better choice as in eggs over cereal. But I still eat fruit and veggies.
  #112   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 07:33

Plan: :)
Stats: 165/160/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 14%

OK, this thread is like a God-send!
After many years of trying this and trying that I think I have finally settled into a routine that is working for me. But it has no name. It is just my own way which incorporates things I have learned from reading so many diet books/blogs/articles.

So, I like to talk about diet and nutrition with people who understand what I am going through but there is no organized diet plan for what I do. I couldn't find a forum where I felt comfortable chatting.

Then I peeped around this forum and found this thread.

I have been following intuitive eating by using the hunger scale. I also have begun incorporating some intermittent fasting.
I eat moderate carb (fruit, veggies, some starches) but try to keep wheat, sugar, and poly fat intake low.

I don't count anything. After years of dieting off and on I instinctively know how many carbs and calories are in most of the foods I eat. And quite frankly I am sick of counting and don't care how many carbs and net carbs and calories and whatever anything contains. I have a basic sense of nutrition and that's all I need right now.

With IE I just go with what I like and pay attention to how my body reacts.

It has been incredibly freeing and I just pray that I can keep the momentum going and finally be a success story. I've been wanting to be one for years!

Last edited by jaydeeM : Mon, Jul-16-12 at 07:48.
  #113   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 18:47

BF:

It's good to see that folks are discovering this thread! I hate to think that anyone would miss out on the health benefits of cutting back on carbs because they got scared off by a rigid plan.

I started almost two years ago. At first I was pretty strict. But now I'm in that "last 10 pounds stall" and IFing, I don't freak out if a few carbs make it past the gate. I'm still very low carb by modern standards. And it does not seem to affect the health benefits of cutting back on sugars.

Hang it there!
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 14:38

Plan: CAD
Stats: 242/189.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I haven't been here in a few days and look how active y'all have been. I love to read how others are doing this. WELCOME TO THE NEWBIES. What is nice about this group is that we respect each ones way of doing IE. I love doing IE/IF most days, but I'm not so rigid to the point that I cannot eat if my body signals that it needs food.

Example, I like to wait until noon or after to eat my first meal (IF), however, today I was hungry around 11ish so I ate around 11:15 am. I eat low carb, but not extremely low carb. I want the freedom to eat what I am hungry for. Some days, my eating window is 5 hrs and sometimes it may be longer... on rare occasions it can be 10 or 12 hrs. I just kind of relax and go with the flow as my body sends it signals..

What I really love is that I will think of something I want to eat, but I'm too busy to get up and get it at the moment and the next thing I know time has passed and I forgot to eat or can't remember what I thought I wanted. I love IE.
  #115   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 19:26

Plan: LCHF - my way
Stats: 309/233.2/194 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

This time around I started with Weight Watchers online, then switched to the free MyFitnessPal app. So I am counting calories, not carbs. I'm losing at a nice pace, and like that I can eat most anything in moderation. Portion control is a powerful thing.

Then I read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes and that reawakened my LC thinking. But I STiLL don't want to go THAT low ala Atkins. If it was just for losing weight, I'd stick to calorie counting. But I'm reminded that LCHF is healthier.

So now I'm still tracking my calories, but I'm making food choices with a stronger LCHF vibe. MyFitnessPal let's me know how my percentages are working out
  #116   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-12, 09:44

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

I like the idea of intuitive eating and seem to be practicing it, for the most part.

I started JUDDD in January w the goal of giving up obsessing.
I quit reading LC books/science; that was big but reading all the blogs/books just kept me in this horrible pattern of restriction....which really seemed okay but kept food/eating in my thoughts most of the time.

JUDDD has been incredibly freeing; I don't count anything!! Of course after all these years, I know what's in pretty much everything AND I know when I'm overeating.
I really cannot fool myself.

I have no desire to eat the amt of starch that I consumed in my vegetarian days and many don't call to me at alll.
I do, however, eat some bread (I am very picky) and discovered a cereal that I am enjoying.
I also consume some summer fruits and banana.

Yesterday I whisked up some SF chocolate pudding (I added a couple extra T's of cocoa), and did not read the ingredients on the package!!

I prefer real food but will not obsess about it.

I feel a sense of freedom that I have not had in......forever.

I am 60 and need to enjoy my life!!
  #117   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: semi low-carb
Stats: 209.6/201.4/175 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%

What is JUDDD?
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 03:54

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 140/124/110 Female 5 foot 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I don't count carbs either. As an ex-calorie counter, I just want an easy life! I think a regimented diet makes it harder to get back at it if you fall off the wagon. I just have my meals, avoid processed foods and sugar, eat real food and get on with it!
  #119   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 13:09

Plan: Low carb/real food
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I am sooo ready to stop counting and making myself nuts. In the beginning i felt as if I spent half the day on fatsecret counting every morsel i ate. And then I would analyze the stats to death. NO MORE! I am eating lower carb/calorie no processed food and hopefully I will continue to lose (just weight...not my mind!)
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-12, 13:09

Plan: Low carb/real food
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 52%

May I ask? What is JUDDD?