Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 15:46

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patina
My grandmother lived to the ripe old age of 98. She grew up on a farm and didn't move herself and the family to the "big city" until she was in her 40's.

On the farm, my grandmother ate the following pretty much everyday:

1. fresh eggs
2. Homemade bread/biscuits
3. Meat (beef, chicken and pork) at least two meals
4. Fresh and canned vegetables
5. fresh milk
6. homemade butter and lard for cooking
Funny I was just talking with a friend a couple weeks ago. She was saying how her grandmother lived to be 95, and she smoked every day of her adult life, was a fairly heavy drinker, never watched her weight, never watched her food. She had two sisters and they both lived to be 90+ also, and followed the exact same regimen she did. So my friend's mom - who carefully watched what she ate, kept a close eye on her weight, never smoked, drank only sparingly, avoided sugar, avoided junk foods - fully expected to live well into her 90s also as she figured she had the genes for it, and ended up dying of cancer at age 65. Sometimes you just never know .....
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 16:09

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

I would like to add this to the mix:

not only has the quality of our food changed but the quantity has changed dramatically too. I don't believe they had "Super-Sized Value Meals" back in those days, or how about "All-you-can-eat" buffets? Or if/when they went to the movies did they buy giant buckets of popcorn or liters of soda?

And the drive-thru... you don't even have to get out of your car to order that value meal. I think there is a lot more "mindless eating" now too. We eat while driving, watching TV, working at our desks, while on the computer...
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-12, 12:06

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 240/150/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkclouds
I would like to add this to the mix:

not only has the quality of our food changed but the quantity has changed dramatically too. I don't believe they had "Super-Sized Value Meals" back in those days, or how about "All-you-can-eat" buffets? Or if/when they went to the movies did they buy giant buckets of popcorn or liters of soda?

And the drive-thru... you don't even have to get out of your car to order that value meal. I think there is a lot more "mindless eating" now too. We eat while driving, watching TV, working at our desks, while on the computer...

They didn't, but I don't necessarily agree that quantity is the problem, either. As I write this, I'm sitting here devouring a massive rack of ribs that probably has more calories than one of those supersize meals, but I'm 5'7 and 150 lbs with what's probably an unusually muscular frame. I've never eaten so much in my life, and yet, I've never looked this good in my life.

'Supersizing' the meal itself might not be the problem. The problem what is in that meal and whether or not our bodies were really designed for\can handle the contents. I've come to believe there are certain things humans just aren't meant to eat.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-12, 15:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

My own take on this has been informed by going Paleo for about a year; on top of almost seven years of low carbing.

My carb count, if anything, increased. Yet I lost another several pounds. I believe it is because I went gluten-free, processed-free, seed oil-free.

My hands, which had started really fussing with arthritis, reversed themselves and now I can open jars again. My fussy skin, a rosacea condition that is like a visible signboard of inflammation, calmed down incredibly. Even though I only lost 8 or so pounds on the scale, my cheekbones asserted themselves, I gained the confidence to get a short, snappy cut, and people began exclaiming, "What on earth are you doing!?!?!"

And yes: I think a huge part of this is the change to the world's wheat in the 1970's, so expertly explained in Wheat Belly. I was like 95% gluten free; yet going 100% gluten free made an entire world of difference.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-12, 06:25

Plan: Mixture .. mainly Paleo
Stats: 168/163/120 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

I too think it is a matter of modern processed, sprayed, additive tampered with food. So, in effect moving from our natural diet to one our bodies can't cope with. I ate bread when I was young and was as thin as a lathe. Today, bread causes me so many problems such as high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, excess weight, fluid retention, heartburn and gout. When I leave out the wheat and excess starch all of these things totally disappear. On one occasion when I was trying to eat like my naturally thin friends I was given some cereal. I don't usually eat cereal, but as it didn't give me heartburn I stupidly bought some. Simple, Weetabix minis entered my system and although I could see my ankles swelling a bit I thought I will be ok in a few days when my body gets used to it. What happened? Gout, reared its ugly, painful, throbbing head or should I say big toe. I had already worked out that wheat etc had contributed to my getting gout in the past. How could I possibly have thought that I would get away with it this time. Needless to say, I dropped the wheat like a ton of bricks and my gout disappeared. So, as far as I am concerned my body is far better off with the hunter gatherer way of eating. If we could also grow our own stuff like our grandparents did, have home made food, plus walk almost everywhere then we might all be better off.